U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-08-2019, 10:33 AM
 
105 posts, read 24,682 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

This is a carryover from Troutdudes's thread about the Fundamentalist Christian Agenda. I make a separate post to respect his original subject matter and try to not get it WAY off topic.

Ok, there was alot of conversation about "Invasive" Christians. In fact, it was mentioned that the mere action of just talking to someone about it was an invasive sin.

I feel compelled to just try and share this...I can only hope it makes some sense.

Let us say you, who are reading this, and I are real life friends. We know each other face to face. Maybe we work together. Let us also say you become very ill. You're in the hospital and your life is hanging in the balance. Doctors are struggling to determine what's going on in your body.
Let us then say...I'm convinced, beyond doubt, that I have the cure for you. It's a little pill that will heal you. Again...right or wrong...I'm convinced.

What kind of friend would I be if I chose not to try and share this with you? If I chose to not come see you and urge you to take this pill because it would save your life? Maybe I was afraid of offending the doctors and being mocked for such silliness. Maybe I was even afraid of offending you somehow, someway...

And, of course, you may resist, completely, the notion of taking this pill. You may tell me--directly--that you are not interested and please shut my trap about it and stuff my little pill...the case is closed. To that, I would say.....ok. It would break my heart. But, I could not force you to try what I offer...it's your choice. I'd respect that.

But, the question remains...what would a true friend at least try to do? What would you do in my position?

That's how I feel, in my heart, about the message of Christ. I'm convinced I'm talking about a life and death situation. I don't say that tritely...I mean it...life and death.

So, that brings us to the question? What am I to do? Do I let "fear of man" keep me quiet? No, I have to at least try. I'd never forgive myself if I didn't.

As silly as this may seem...I mean it. I care about people. Yes, Christ gave me a commission to take His news to the world. But, it goes even beyond that for me. I'm convinced I have the answer for Life. In every aspect. Maybe I'm wrong...but, maybe...I'm right.

So...because I simply care---even about people I've never met nor will meet, I share the message I've been given and blessed with. I will always do so...if 99 peeps rebuff, ridicule, or refuse...so be it. I will rejoice if only one listens.

But, as I've stated numerous times... I'll just share. If the person isn't interested or rebuffs me and says "Go away"...I will comply. I will not try to force anything on anybody. And, as equally shared, I can still like you, I could still be your friend, I could still respect you.

Jesus said let those who have ears...hear. I guess I say likewise.
He, Jesus, is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2019, 10:46 AM
 
357 posts, read 68,137 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
What would you do in my position?
I would first and foremost question the efficacy of any "cure" before I proffer it to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2019, 10:51 AM
 
105 posts, read 24,682 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
I would first and foremost question the efficacy of any "cure" before I proffer it to anyone.
I already stated...I would be convinced in the power of the pill. It wouldn't be offered "off the cuff". It would be offered because I truly believed it was the answer however I came to that conclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2019, 10:55 AM
Status: "We The North" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
25,545 posts, read 13,293,175 times
Reputation: 11621
Casual, you seem like a nice guy. It's too bad you've fallen victim to the delusion that your message is important to anyone but you.

Religion's pill can be, and often is, poisonous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2019, 11:03 AM
 
105 posts, read 24,682 times
Reputation: 26
I echo to you Trout...I've said it before, I think you're a good guy. Plus, you fish (and catch BIG TROUT)...that takes you to another level.

Delusions? Perhaps we all have them on a variety of topics and thoughts. And, yes, they're usually very important to us. Such is the nature of this pill I speak of. It's very important to me--as stated in my overly long post.

Perhaps the pill can be poisonous in a way? A good thing can be misused, abused, thus making it far less than it originally was. I grant that...

But, equally as stated, perhaps it's the cure? Making it important to more than just myself. Therefore; I share as I can. I just don't force feed. Or, I strive greatly to not be that sinful, invasive, Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2019, 11:09 AM
 
357 posts, read 68,137 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
I already stated...I would be convinced in the power of the pill. It wouldn't be offered "off the cuff". It would be offered because I truly believed it was the answer however I came to that conclusion.
The problem with this is that "I" is an entirely subjective concept. You can look at a shiny yellow stone in your hand and call it gold but a geologist next to you will recognise it for what it is - fool's gold. Without comparing your knowledge with that of others, without testing it, critiquing it you could never be certain that what you have in your hand is not an illusion. In other words you could never say with confidence that you are not just imagining things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2019, 11:18 AM
 
105 posts, read 24,682 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
The problem with this is that "I" is an entirely subjective concept. You can look at a shiny yellow stone in your hand and call it gold but a geologist next to you will recognise it for what it is - fool's gold. Without comparing your knowledge with that of others, without testing it, critiquing it you could never be certain that what you have in your hand is not an illusion. In other words you could never say with confidence that you are not just imagining things.
Elvis Presley was told he should give up singing and go back to driving trucks. This was told to him by professionals in the industry. He was trying to live...an illusion, or so the "smart guys" said.

Now, what you say has merit. Yes, things need to be tested, analyzed, whatever. I agree with that.

I already admitted...the pill I spoke of could not be "right"? It could indeed be a figment of imagination.

But, as equally stated...perhaps it is real...as real and powerful as any concept, thought, etc.
That's where I am...though I know many don't get this. I'm convinced by through a lot of life experiences, issues, failures, and so on that this pill...is the real deal.

So, I share it. But, I keep saying, that's all I do. I offer it as a possibility to someone that might be searching for just such a pill. You can, and probably do, totally reject this notion. And...that's fine. It really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2019, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Florida
19,650 posts, read 19,762,695 times
Reputation: 22967
If we were already very good friends, then you should already know I am not interested in your 'pill'.
If we're not and somehow the subject happened to come up and you decide to share your thoughts, fine.If you approached me out of the blue wanting to share your 'good news', I would be annoyed and probably avoid you from then on.
If anybody is searching they already know where they can find it...could even be from you. That's IF they're already interested and ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2019, 11:26 AM
 
105 posts, read 24,682 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If we were already very good friends, then you should already know I am not interested in your 'pill'.
If we're not and somehow the subject happened to come up and you decide to share your thoughts, fine.If you approached me out of the blue wanting to share your 'good news', I would be annoyed and probably avoid you from then on.
Hmmm...I can get the latter comment. I remember being approached by "Jesus Freaks" back in the day and not actually liking it. Yet, I could deal with it. For me, the real annoyance was if they wouldn't stop. They wouldn't respect my wish to be left alone after telling them as such.

As to being close friends and knowing, for sure, you have no interest in my pill...I'd imagine that would be because, at one time or another, I offered said pill and you resisted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2019, 11:40 AM
 
357 posts, read 68,137 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
I already admitted...the pill I spoke of could not be "right"? It could indeed be a figment of imagination.

But, as equally stated...perhaps it is real...as real and powerful as any concept, thought, etc.
Then it is absolutely your duty to have your convictions tested.

By expecting your beliefs to be taken at your word you are essentially admitting defeat because you don't trust that they would stand up to scrutiny. This may sound counter-intuitive to you but consider all those people, that perhaps require a little bit more convincing, that you could potentially save if only you could allow your "cure" to be rigorously tested. Imagine having your beliefs validated and endorsed by experts and made public, how many more people would then be open to swallowing your "pill". Until then, however, all you are doing is betting on a Pascal's Wager and taking an easy way out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top