U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 11:10 PM

5,661 posts, read 2,868,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You cannot look at it in human terms like that and compare our opinions to Gods...God created EVIL in the first place, he is the one that cast Satan down to earth, among us humans, he is the one that 'permits' Satan to be the ruler of our world, He is the one, that after so many years, will unchain Satan AGAIN and let him loose upon the world for a short time!!!
That doesn't say much for the character of god, does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 12:04 AM

10,565 posts, read 2,696,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
No, it doesnt, but the bible did tell us, our God is a jealous god, one that likes worship.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:37 AM

39,040 posts, read 10,831,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
Hold your tongue. Maybe your parents never taught you this, but you DO NOT QUESTION GOD'S PLAN. It is blasphemous, and you're just going to have to dig in and show some faith, instead of doubt and scrutiny.
Thank you. If you are not an atheist pretending to be a Godsucker in order to discredit it, you could not have done a better job for us if you were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. No.
2. As for me, I'll question it as often as I wish.
3. It's not blasphemous to those who don't believe in god.
The sig (that reads 'Ali G.') suggests that he might be spoofing to make religion look bad. He's a very naughty boy

It is of course Axiomatic that no matter how much you may try to spoof religion with sheer absurdity, you can never make it so absurd that you can't find a believer who says the same thing For Real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
No, it doesnt, but the bible did tell us, our God is a jealous god, one that likes worship.
case rested.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:13 AM

13,493 posts, read 4,990,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
Hold your tongue. Maybe your parents never taught you this, but you DO NOT QUESTION GOD'S PLAN. It is blasphemous, and you're just going to have to dig in and show some faith, instead of doubt and scrutiny.
well, if we listed only the times a good parent said to a child "just do it.", and we only listed those times. It would make the parent look abusive.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:22 PM

177 posts, read 37,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
I believe that humans hold other humans to a higher standard than they hold god. For example, lets say you were in nazi germany in the 1930s-1940s and you did nothing to stop hitler because you were afraid of being killed or tortured. Now we would all wish that ordinary Germans at that time would have resisted Hitler and were against Hitler. but god is all knowing and all powerful and he didn't stop Hitler from killing millions of people. Humans shouldn't be held to a higher standard than god. So I am supposed to believe a loving god, knowing that situations like this would happen, is going to send people to hell to be tortured for eternity when god himself never has to deal with pain or be in such a terrible impossible situation!! You know, I really hope there is an afterlife so that we will know all the answers. I hope there is an afterlife so those who have had nothing but suffering and sorrow can actually enjoy existence in a perfect place. That's all I have to say.
You make a common and understandable mistake. Humans actually hold God to the same standard as other humans. They want a completely anthropomorphic God, a Big Daddy in the sky. By this standard, God doesn't fare well.

But God warns us in Isaiah, "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts." God is eternal. God is transcendent. God has a perspective we simply don't have. He isn't a cosmic Ward Cleaver.

We see only a fragment of God's plan. It may well be that in a creation where the creatures are given genuine free will and are confronted with genuine moral choices on their road toward spiritual majority, the unfairness, tragedies and evil we see all around us are inevitable and necessary.

I am satisfied that what I experience and see around me is entirely consistent with an eternal, transcendent, wise, just, loving and merciful God, albeit not a cosmic Ward Cleaver.

It's a flawed analogy, but we really are similar to one-year-old toddlers declaring that Mommy and Daddy are big meanies.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:52 PM

6,850 posts, read 6,186,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post
You make a common and understandable mistake. Humans actually hold God to the same standard as other humans. They want a completely anthropomorphic God, a Big Daddy in the sky. By this standard, God doesn't fare well.

But God warns us in Isaiah, "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts." God is eternal. God is transcendent. God has a perspective we simply don't have. He isn't a cosmic Ward Cleaver.

We see only a fragment of God's plan. It may well be that in a creation where the creatures are given genuine free will and are confronted with genuine moral choices on their road toward spiritual majority, the unfairness, tragedies and evil we see all around us are inevitable and necessary.

I am satisfied that what I experience and see around me is entirely consistent with an eternal, transcendent, wise, just, loving and merciful God, albeit not a cosmic Ward Cleaver.

It's a flawed analogy, but we really are similar to one-year-old toddlers declaring that Mommy and Daddy are big meanies.

Yours is the flawed analogy. Mommy and Daddy haven't committed genocide...........at least that I know of.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:52 PM

25,793 posts, read 13,408,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yours is the flawed analogy. Mommy and Daddy haven't committed genocide...........at least that I know of.
Yeah, kind of a character flaw in the OT god-thing.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:15 AM

5,042 posts, read 937,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post

You do not get to make up an excuse without evidence letting your god of off the hook, and then claim the evidence is "entirely consistent with an eternal, transcendent, wise, just, loving and merciful God".

The fact that you had to make the excuse in the first place means the evidence is NOT at all "consistent with an eternal, transcendent, wise, just, loving and merciful God".

Old 07-04-2019, 08:42 AM

56,030 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
LMAO, but some people really, really like that perspective for some reason and anticipate this interpretation of Revelation becoming reality.

Stephen King made a great novel out of the idea. His best, IMO.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:24 AM

10,565 posts, read 2,696,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LMAO, but some people really, really like that perspective for some reason and anticipate this interpretation of Revelation becoming reality.

Stephen King made a great novel out of the idea. His best, IMO.
Are you referring to 'The Stand' or another?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or