U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 10:58 AM

56,012 posts, read 54,523,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Are you referring to 'The Stand' or another?
Yes, The Stand. It follows Revelation. I particularly loved his version of "Pale Horse, Pale Rider" -- Trashcan Man in the throes of radiation sickness riding in to Vegas on a nuclear weapon.

Brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrD6Qt7Bqvw&t=4s

Look around 5:58.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:29 PM

177 posts, read 37,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You do not get to make up an excuse without evidence letting your god of off the hook, and then claim the evidence is "entirely consistent with an eternal, transcendent, wise, just, loving and merciful God".

The fact that you had to make the excuse in the first place means the evidence is NOT at all "consistent with an eternal, transcendent, wise, just, loving and merciful God".
I did not "make up" an "excuse" to let "my" God "off the hook." What non-Christians do not seem to grasp is that we Christians accept God as he presents himself in the OT and NT, regardless of whether we find every aspect emotionally satisfying or appealing. We trust that God is who the OT and NT say he is. We acknowledge that we are finite created beings who lack the perspective of our eternal transcendent creator. We trust that what now seems puzzling or even troubling from our perspective will one day be understood as worthy of our supremely holy, wise, just and loving creator.

This is what Christianity is. This is what being a Christian is.

We do not sit in judgment of God. We do not evaluate whether he measures up to the way we think we might like a god to be. We do not pick and choose those portions of the OT and NT we like and flush or revise the rest. This is not what Christianity is. This is not what being a Christian is.

I've seen enough of your posts to realize: You just don't get it. You are just a doofus who has no understanding of Christianity but for some inexplicable reason gets his jollies by lobbing inane observations into discussions of Christianity. But you are scarcely alone, I will grant you that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 06:42 PM

13,476 posts, read 4,986,806 times
we have fundy think type atheist just as you have fundy think type theist. But there are a lot more of your guys than than us so your fundy thinks tend to be more problematic.

what you don't get nerf is that we(most atheist) use what is actually going on around us to define this god thing. Not a book 2000 years old. its like using a book on toy horse carriages to describe a race car.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:33 AM

5,037 posts, read 936,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post
I did not "make up" an "excuse" to let "my" God "off the hook."
Yes you did. I even quoted it, AND marked the relevant part in bold orange. "It may well be that in a creation where the creatures are given genuine free will and are confronted with genuine moral choices on their road toward spiritual majority, the unfairness, tragedies and evil we see all around us are inevitable and necessary."

Whoops, I quoted it again.

Quote:
What non-Christians do not seem to grasp is that we Christians accept God as he presents himself in the OT and NT, regardless of whether we find every aspect emotionally satisfying or appealing.
This and the rest of your post is the usual blatantly false statement that WE are the ignorant ones. You have told us YOUR view of Christianity that many Christians do NOT accept. Many do not accept the immoral god of the OT. In fact most of them do not know of the immoral OT god, just a cherry picked, sanitized version of it.

For a Christian, you seem to not understand your religion that well.

Quote:
I've seen enough of your posts to realize: You … just … don't … get … it. You are just a doofus who has no understanding of Christianity but for some inexplicable reason gets his jollies by lobbing inane observations into discussions of Christianity. But you are scarcely alone, I will grant you that.
Then either you have a serious reading comprehension problem, or you are just dishonest. I've seen enough of your posts to realize: It … is … probably … the … latter. I know far more about Christianity than you ever will*, so for you to come out with the tired and false You … just … don't … get … it BS is amusing.

* that is why your 'history' lesson on the other post was refuted by me. Because I am not stupid enough to rely on the likes of WLC like a doofus would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or