U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2019, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
15,310 posts, read 10,332,182 times
Reputation: 2610

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post
Sure, the scoffers scoff. They are lost. They have no clue. They scoff because, deep down, they know we have something they don't.
Yes. Cognitive dissonance. But who the hell wants that!

Quote:
Deep down, they know they are lost.
Is this another one of those - 'Deep inside they know God exists. They are just angry at God' claims
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2019, 08:15 AM
Status: "Scarface IS fiction!" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Germany
5,028 posts, read 932,188 times
Reputation: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post
Sure, the scoffers scoff. They are lost. They have no clue.
No, we scoff because we DO have a clue. Many clues. You are the ones who ignore the big clues that says you are wrong, because it is you who is lost. You are the ones worshiping five gods without knowing it, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post
They scoff because, deep down, they know we have something they don't.
No, we scoff because we know you have nothing but denial and wishful thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post
Deep down, they know they are lost.
Proverbs 6:16-19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post
It's one of the mysteries of Christianity - a slightly disturbing mystery, but one that is set forth very clearly in the Bible - that God does not call everyone, that the Gospel message will make sense only to those with ears to hear.
Yes, it is a mystery why anyone would worship a god that makes people deaf to it's message and then punish them for all eternity for something it has done.

Why do you worship such an immoral monster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post
One ray of hope is that those who scoff the loudest are often those who are the closest to making a decision for Christ. They "protest too much," as the saying goes.
So all those protesting against gay rights are almost gay? Or is this only true for your religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2019, 08:48 AM
 
13,450 posts, read 4,976,974 times
Reputation: 1363
yeah ... none of that proves that there is or is not a god harry comrade.

yeah gay rights dont prove a god or not a god.

but who cares about facts when we are rampaging. stay focused.

its time for good man to stand up for the party line, eh comrade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2019, 04:53 PM
 
11,225 posts, read 11,251,267 times
Reputation: 3445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post
I "happened" to pick up my roommate's Bible out of sheer boredom, "happened" to read the Gospel of John, and "happened" to have an overwhelmingly strong inner conviction of Truth. I did indeed have a strong (and well-deserved) sense of being a sinner, and the message of salvation thus was a welcome one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Matthew's response points beautifully to why religions, especially Christianity, is entirely subjective far as what to believe.

And again, Nerfball's story points perfectly to how subjective a "saved" experience is. One person read John and says, "Eh! What's the fuss? It's loaded with errors, badly written and uninspiring to the max." But Nerf says he has this overwhelming ecstatic explosion of emotions reading the exact same gospel. It depends on the individual's psychological make-up and personality. Nothing supernatural about it. I could get the same feeling reading Lady Chatterley's Lover (and I have )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2019, 06:01 PM
 
10,516 posts, read 12,728,045 times
Reputation: 3863
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
And again, Nerfball's story points perfectly to how subjective a "saved" experience is. One person read John and says, "Eh! What's the fuss? It's loaded with errors, badly written and uninspiring to the max." But Nerf says he has this overwhelming ecstatic explosion of emotions reading the exact same gospel. It depends on the individual's psychological make-up and personality. Nothing supernatural about it. I could get the same feeling reading Lady Chatterley's Lover (and I have )
I can tell you that I have had two dynamically different reactions to reading John. And I am the same person. In other words, it has nothing to with what you said. It has everything to do with a humble attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2019, 04:48 AM
 
39,014 posts, read 10,812,637 times
Reputation: 5080
It has everything to do with what the believer thinks is an open mind, but is actually made gullible by preference. When i read John I am aware of a biased (at least ) fantasist, who clearly wrote his own opinions into sermons that he stuffed into jesus' mouth. The Synoptics don't even HINT at these - just as John doesn't hit at the cartload of parables. This stuff is is invented.

Now you may say that you don't care and it is only inspiration for a godfaith that isn't tied to Christianity and just ...likes it, I suppose. And that's ok. The arguments about a 'god' of some sorta and the argument for this or That religion and its personal god or gods are two different arguments. But if you will praise one book of the bible or another, you are going to get it shown to be a crock. here we stand, we can do no other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2019, 06:59 AM
Status: "Scarface IS fiction!" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Germany
5,028 posts, read 932,188 times
Reputation: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post
I had a completely unexpected, unanticipated "born again" experience, all alone in a dormitory room, when I was about 20. If you'd said to me an hour before "You're going to have a born again experience before the afternoon is over," I would've laughed at you. I "happened" to pick up my roommate's Bible out of sheer boredom, "happened" to read the Gospel of John, and "happened" to have an overwhelmingly strong inner conviction of Truth.
You do know John says there are two gods, and Yahweh is the bad one? Sorry, I forgot, you are ignorant of your own history. Let me explain. John 8:44 frightened the early Christians because the Greek, when read literally, says Jesus has a different, good father to the father of Satan (which would be Yahweh). Yes, that does mean every English version of this verse is a mistranslation. It is probably this passage which made one of the popes (sometime in the 1800s) ban discussion by Catholic theologians about the Gnostic nature of John.

Augustine (in his Commentary on John 42:9-15) was so afraid that he said the literal version (as used by the Manichaeans) was for simpletons, and translated the passage idiosyncratically.

So much for the Truth, eh? And this is not inane, only a doofus would think that. This should have serious repercussions for every honest Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2019, 07:00 AM
Status: "Scarface IS fiction!" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Germany
5,028 posts, read 932,188 times
Reputation: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I can tell you that I have had two dynamically different reactions to reading John. And I am the same person. In other words, it has nothing to with what you said. It has everything to do with a humble attitude.
... and using a mistranslated text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2019, 08:37 AM
 
13,450 posts, read 4,976,974 times
Reputation: 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It has everything to do with what the believer thinks is an open mind, but is actually made gullible by preference. When i read John I am aware of a biased (at least ) fantasist, who clearly wrote his own opinions into sermons that he stuffed into jesus' mouth. The Synoptics don't even HINT at these - just as John doesn't hit at the cartload of parables. This stuff is is invented.

Now you may say that you don't care and it is only inspiration for a godfaith that isn't tied to Christianity and just ...likes it, I suppose. And that's ok. The arguments about a 'god' of some sorta and the argument for this or That religion and its personal god or gods are two different arguments. But if you will praise one book of the bible or another, you are going to get it shown to be a crock. here we stand, we can do no other.
yup, only non believers have an open mind.

yeah, you are so religious its an embarrassment to atheism.

everything I say can be linked back to the standard model. everything you say can be linked back to anti-god.

I wonder whos is more valid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2019, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
22,437 posts, read 10,385,168 times
Reputation: 20299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yup, only non believers have an open mind.

yeah, you are so religious its an embarrassment to atheism.

everything I say can be linked back to the standard model. everything you say can be linked back to anti-god.

I wonder whos is more valid?
And I wonder how many more times you're going to say that. I've just read it in two threads in two minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top