Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 09:41 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And I wonder how many more times you're going to say that. I've just read it in two threads in two minutes.
Still, he's probably the most reasonable atheist on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 10:08 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You do know John says there are two gods, and Yahweh is the bad one? Sorry, I forgot, you are ignorant of your own history. Let me explain. John 8:44 frightened the early Christians because the Greek, when read literally, says Jesus has a different, good father to the father of Satan (which would be Yahweh). Yes, that does mean every English version of this verse is a mistranslation. It is probably this passage which made one of the popes (sometime in the 1800s) ban discussion by Catholic theologians about the Gnostic nature of John.

Augustine (in his Commentary on John 42:9-15) was so afraid that he said the literal version (as used by the Manichaeans) was for simpletons, and translated the passage idiosyncratically.

So much for the Truth, eh? And this is not inane, only a doofus would think that. This should have serious repercussions for every honest Christian.
Thats very interesting, I have never heard of that before.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:09 AM

16,777 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

Old 07-05-2019, 11:12 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
It's difficult for me to tell. So many long posts saying the same thing lead me to skip over most.

What I learned in my career when I conducted various types of meetings (or had to sit through meetings):

1. Be economical with talking (or in this case , writing)...otherwise you lose people.
2. In education we often use the say it 3 times guideline...say something three times for it to sink in (hopefully in different ways), but when you repeat ad nauseum...you lose people.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's difficult for me to tell. So many long posts saying the same thing lead me to skip over most.

What I learned in my career when I conducted various types of meetings (or had to sit through meetings):

1. Be economical with talking (or in this case , writing)...otherwise you lose people.
2. In education we often use the say it 3 times guideline...say something three times for it to sink in (hopefully in different ways), but when you repeat ad nauseum...you lose people.
Yes. That's obvious. But there are sometimes other things said that can still filter through.

I'm referring to the *content* of what is said. I don't care about how flowery the language is.

Old 07-05-2019, 06:08 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Yes. That's obvious. But there are sometimes other things said that can still filter through.

I'm referring to the *content* of what is said. I don't care about how flowery the language is.
Half the time I can't decipher the content because the grammar and spelling is so horrendous, which is unnecessary since there are such things as grammar and spell checkers. Bottom line -- one really good post is better than ten bad ones.

Old 07-05-2019, 06:30 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:

Come on-you are giving him a thumbs up because he is slamming atheism. whether or not he is saying anything coherent (forget 'reasonable') doesn't matter.

And I know he calls himself 'atheist' but he's clearly talked himself into signing up to a god of his own invention.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Come on-you are giving him a thumbs up because he is slamming atheism. whether or not he is saying anything coherent (forget 'reasonable') doesn't matter.

And I know he calls himself 'atheist' but he's clearly talked himself into signing up to a god of his own invention.
I've heard you describe yourself as an agnostic atheist, so that is not fair. You are leaving open the possibility of a deity.

He is not slamming atheism. He is slamming the anti-theism which is prevalent on this forum. Maybe you are just too much on that side to notice that it is so prevalent.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:35 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
I was saved at a very young age -- the moment I was born.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:39 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I was saved at a very young age -- the moment I was born.
So is everyone, Katz, because Jesus is the one who did it. We have nothing to do with it, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality