Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 02:00 PM

20,398 posts, read 12,702,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Nope, it isn't...or else it's been jerkin this way for decades.

But remember I don't 'study' the Bible.
I cherry pick to the loving parts...and then put them to practice (not so easy I might add)
only to find out everything Jesus said to do here while on earth...WORKS!!!!
Then you have an incomplete picture of our Father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 02:10 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,260,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You mean the one you see with the belt?
Yeah, He just shows this little princess the Good Side.
It's true, you are correct.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:16 PM

63,494 posts, read 39,789,724 times
Quote:
That you hold a place in our Father's love for your human concept of justice (which is not remotely just) is why your understanding of our Father is incomplete, Jimmie.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:38 PM

18,881 posts, read 27,342,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
LOL.

Well, I'll tell you where I think christians get it all wrong.

1. They should stop trying to prove the bible. Forget it. Impossible. Even if there are tidbits here and there that are accurate, most isn't, and can't be proven even if it is. And, it's irrelevant whether the bible is "true" or not. That's where the faith aspect comes in.

2. Then they should relegate the Old Testament to the scholars. As you said, the "angry God, that could actually cast someone into an everlasting fire....Good Lord...I can hear it now a'comin'".

3. Next, they should start with the New Testament and make a list of the PRINCIPLES in the New Testament, discuss each principle thoroughly, and decide -- individually -- whether they can incorporate each principle into their lives. Is it a valid principle, or one that really doesn't pan out.

If they would do that, then I'd have some respect for them.

Then you will have PEOPLE discussing How To-s for other people. Make principles and rules and rites, etc.

What's there of god then? This already been done before, when in Nicea THEY decided what is holy and what is not. What scriptures are of god and what are heresy.

Nihil novi anter sol.

Sorry, I just had that vision of the god's chuckle over this idea...

Old 06-20-2019, 02:42 PM

18,881 posts, read 27,342,285 times
Miss H, neither of your gods in question is the true god. Neither the god of the first chapter of Genesis, nor the one that appears in the second. With the second one being a lesser god among the other gods, with a narrow assignment of small territory later known as Judea. One that eventually stood in "the court of gods".

Old 06-20-2019, 02:55 PM

20,398 posts, read 12,702,467 times
Quote:
You mean the one you see with the belt?
Yeah, He just shows this little princess the Good Side.
It's true, you are correct.
Sounds like you haven’t even read all the words of Jesus.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:09 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,064,980 times
Quote:
Sounds like you haven’t even read all the words of Jesus.
Nobody has. Just the words of anonymous, ancient, long-dead pamphleteers who were apparently channeling him.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:12 PM

50,082 posts, read 20,548,531 times
I have got some bad news for you Ozzy. Or it might be good news Your views, arguments and beliefs are Irrelevant. If you want to toss the Bible in the bin - I've got one here all ready. I tossed mine in it long ago. And if you want to cut Faith free from any Holy Book and simply make it up as you go along (the others link their Faith to a Holy Book and Then make it up as they go along....ever watch the debate on Bible Slavery?) feel free. You are not the problem... only a minor part of it.

And the major part of the problem is the ones that Do believe the Bible cover to cover and are well - funded, well established and don't care for Law, Constitution or anything but making a Bible -based America the only Real America. The constitution will be Re Interpreted to be the Bible - endorsing document it was always (they claim) intended to be and the state will become the handmaid, Body guard and support of the Bible and will see that it is taught to everyone from Kindergarten to deathbed irrespective of race, color, gender, bender OR Creed (which if it differs, had better be kept secret) and that's the problem and all You have to do with it and the only reason i bother to respond to your wittering is that, when push comes to shove, you have to decide which side of the campaign you are on - supporting these people because at least they ain't atheists or supporting us and other Theists who do not Do Religion (Nones) in keeping these people out of power and keeping America a land of freedom of religion and from any one monolithic, Bible -literalist state religion.

That's what the debate is really about - not about some sorta non -religious -specific first cause- creator or even those whose Jesus in the head mirrors their own character completely without having to quotemine the Bible for passages that can be made to fit. It is about whether you can go on like that or whether your vote supports someone who will see your kids believing that the earth is 8,000 years old and Adam had a pet dinosaur. And if the rumbles are true, that the earth is flat. too.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-20-2019 at 03:28 PM..

Old 06-20-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Well, I asked 9 of 10 people if they considered themselves Christian..."Yes".
Then I proceeded to ask them: Where do you think Colossians, Ephesians and Galatians are...Old Testament or New? They all said Old Testament.
The 10th is an atheist, ex Catholic...he knew!
Ya don't have to go to church to be a Christian, just sayin'...in fact, some Christians don't
wanna hang out with 'those people'.
You don't have to be ignorant of what's in the Bible to be a Christian or to know what's really in the bible to be an atheist. But it helps.

Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
A Christian could have a deeply rich and fulfilled life without even once opening the book.
He doesn't even need the book when he has a relationship with his creator.

Quote:
Arach: A Christian can have a deeply rich and fulfilled life without ever once repeating
a man died and rise-ed for our sins. and still believe in something.

Quote:
Mouth dropped...I am SO not used to reading things like this on City Data.

Why do you need the roadmap when you're already eating the ice cream in Disney World?

Oh you, too.
The hilarious thing is that...atheists agree. That's exactly what we do - we have a worthwhile life without Bible or church. So just what is their problem with atheism? i want them to sit down and ask themselves just what is their Beef with atheism.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-20-2019 at 03:50 PM..

Old 06-20-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I'm not ignoring your 2 questions. I'm not the one to ask.
I just dunno the answers, exactly....just as 'exactly' I can not say Hell exists, nor what Jesus
really said or what he may have meant.

(Rem I am not a Christian...and I am a 'cherry picker' when it comes to the Bible; not believing some things...not believing it all is God inspired....I read only the 'love parts' and the instructions of Jesus.
Drives Christians nuts. 'How can someone do that with their Holy Bible?' Well....it happens.
Better than throwing the whole thing out with the bath water!)��

Scholars have debated Hell a lot, as you know, the Gehenna thing.
Is there rather a self created hellish place
...due to guilt and hatred, and vengeful, ugly, bitter, jealous, cruel thoughts,
at least, until they lift themselves out of that place, with help, seeing 'the Light'?
That's what I have read from quite a few different sources.
Well, there y'go Miss H. As an atheist who has picked up a few wiggles about the Bible, it looks that Jesus was Not talking about a hell in the sense of a sort of place inside the earth ( remember the Hell - hole recording?) or inside the sun or some other dimension where incorporeal souls in resurrected bodies burn in eternity ..that'll teach 'em to believe in radiometric dating rather than Genesis, hey? .. but a Jewish Last days where the graves would open and the bodies would emerge to be judged, and either given top jobs, a company car and a secretary who is always there to help in the New World or the others burned as rubbish (the metaphor of Jerusalem's burning rubbish dump of the valley of Hinnom [gehenna]is symbolism well known outside Christian circles.)

This was replaced by a more Greek idea of going to the underworld immediately after death, but the privileged (through Right Belief) would go to join Zeus on Olympus and it is no coincidence that Jehovah has a big beard and traditionally slings lightning about.

Thus the Christian heaven and hell is a Paulinist Christian invention which is nothing to do with what Jesus' disciples actually believed. I may say that even Paul believed in a Jewish open -graves resurrection and so did the early Paulinists - Matthew's resurrection zombies is a pure invention intended to fulfil this belief. , though he really didn't get it (he had heard some of Paul's ideas but at a distance whereas Luke knew the letters). And of course the 'Rapture' is this Pauline resurrection supposed to happen in the (always tomorrow ..sorry, but that's the icon that best fits..time after time) near future even though it doesn't solve the problem of immediate judgement of a future opening of the graves.

(though Atheist International Apolgetics Thinktank (2) will invent a suitable apologetic excuse upon request, reasonable rates, payment to 'makeArqrich.com')

Which doesn't matter as the churches know that their sheep don't even consider these matters, let alone fret about them (1). Indeed, I can tell you -all that I love to post the 'Jesus said the sabbath didn't matter' and "if everyone goes to heaven and hell upon death - just what true believers are going to claw their way out of their graves crying out for brains when ol' Gabriel blows his Hot riff for Jesus.?" Just to listen to the lovely peaceful silence that follows it.

(1) I knowed there was a foopnote in there somewhere...."Unless they do, doubt, question and drift away from belief...but then, that doesn't matter as they couldn't have been real Christians anyway."

(2) "and defenders and excusers of Stalinist atrocities and Islamic terrorism."

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-20-2019 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: the usual 2nd thots. And 3rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality