Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 07:15 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post

I feel many ex-Christians can't blame the ones they love so they strike anywhere else. they don't understand that its possible their parents did the best they could and were just wrong. Its ok to think your parents are wrong. Its even ok to think some of things they did were bad and still love them.

some shallow thinkers can't understand, often deserves got nothing to do with it.
Are these posters you're speaking of? I haven't seen that kind of thinking. I think most of us understand that are parents are no more qualified than anyone else to make pronouncements about the way the universe works in regard to a greater being. I don't see what that has to do with loving or not loving our parents. (Of course, there are individuals who BLAME their parents for everything, but those are the rare situations, at least in my experience).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 07:16 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
I don't even see what's the discussion here. The way one was was brought up 100% determines the religious (or not) influence as one grows up. There will be religion that will attempt to infiltrate family life to get you to believe their way or to keep you there if you already are there.

Of course, as one grows up, they may consider the Other claims - if the predominant one hasn't managed to suppress all doubt and question - and people can then change their minds. But 100% initial influence is undeniable, I'd think.

What this means is, of course, that the initial influence is 100% indoctrination and 0% choice. In my own case, a pretty non -religious upbringing was targeted weekly by the claims of religion. It just happened that they made no sense to me. For somebody else, they might have been persuasive.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:25 PM

I think that the OP erred in using the phrase 100%.

I can think of few things in this world that are 100%.

I think that some are confusing the concept by thinking of only nation by nation. Indeed, I never met a Thai who didn't grow up in a Buddhist household, except for the large minority of Muslims...who grew up in Muslim neighborhoods and households. I met Sikhs in Thailand, and Africans who were...well, let's just say they weren't religious, and I met christians...but they all came from other place to Thailand.

I was pleased the other day to go out to dinner with a friend who's wife was holding bible study at their home, and the friend admitted that he was now essentially atheist. And guess what...I had never brought that topic up in any way whatsoever. I'm not even sure he realized I was Buddhist.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:55 PM

We understand that the '100%' term is used metaphorically to indicate an overwhelming degree. Otherwise a stout declaration of '110% commitment' would not be accepted without comment. We know what is meant.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:44 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post
For those who take religion seriously, the issue is Truth.
No it isn't. It's quite the opposite because such people don't car about what IS true but only about what they WANT to be true. We see it every day on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I know Christians that were born in India, a very Hindu and Islamic country, but are now Christian.
...and what about those that were born and raised in Christian countries and who are now Hindu or Muslim?

Old 06-26-2019, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
No it isn't. It's quite the opposite because such people don't car about what IS true but only about what they WANT to be true. We see it every day on this forum.

Exactly. But of course you are both saying different things using the same words.

"Truth - what is actually so, as far as we can show and tell based on evidence and reason" (Dictionary of Darwinism)

"Truth - What one believes on faith" (see "Lies, Satan and Darwin" entries ) (Theist - English dictionary)

Old 06-26-2019, 04:54 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
As someone who has changed his religion, married a woman who has changed her religion, and know hundreds of other people who have also changed their religions, I'd say that your premise is flawed.

While the dominate religion in area does have a large influence on which religion a person born in that area follows, it isn't the only one.

Also, why would you assume that there is somehow a "right" religion?
What religions did you change from/to?

Old 06-26-2019, 04:57 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Are these posters you're speaking of? I haven't seen that kind of thinking. I think most of us understand that are parents are no more qualified than anyone else to make pronouncements about the way the universe works in regard to a greater being. I don't see what that has to do with loving or not loving our parents. (Of course, there are individuals who BLAME their parents for everything, but those are the rare situations, at least in my experience).
thats my point. Some people should be attacking their parents as hard as they attack religion.

its been my experience that bad parents have a serous effect on how the children grow up. "breaking" a child often has more of an effect than not breaking a child by just raising them with the intent of just not breaking them.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

Exactly. But of course you are both saying different things using the same words.

"Truth - what is actually so, as far as we can show and tell based on evidence and reason" (Dictionary of Darwinism)

"Truth - What one believes on faith" (see "Lies, Satan and Darwin" entries ) (Theist - English dictionary)
Perhaps it's the difference between The Truth and truth.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Perhaps it's the difference between The Truth and truth.
It is, which is why I capitalise Truth if not put it in quotes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality