U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 08:03 AM

4,229 posts, read 1,623,528 times

Advertisements

One sided stories are rarely truth. The whole world is watching this start to occur-Rev 16) While today--they stand up for a flag( graven image) that is being mislead to stand in opposition to Jesus. Because they live in darkness. They must fit in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 08:20 AM

25,749 posts, read 13,395,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
One sided stories are rarely truth. The whole world is watching this start to occur-Rev 16) While today--they stand up for a flag( graven image) that is being mislead to stand in opposition to Jesus. Because they live in darkness. They must fit in.
Living in darkness is a perfect description of a JW.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:28 AM

3,954 posts, read 1,106,630 times
I grew up as a Witness in the 50's and 60's. My experience is that there was NO question that I would be baptized as a Witness. I got baptized at 13 even though I didn't believe the Witness's had the TRUTH.

I was accused of Apostasy at 18 for talking to my girlfriend in what I thought was a private setting. The only thing we talked about was rock music, which I enjoyed and the idea that rock had demon influences and caused unclean thoughts. As it happened, her younger, unbaptized brother overheard the conversation, and within a week I was disfellowshipped and kicked out of my home.

This happened in 1971. I've had little to no contact with my family, except my older brother Jerry who continued fellowship with me. I still love classic rock music, played in bands and have had a wonderful life. I was heavily scarred by my association with the Witness organization. But I have a wonderfull wife of 43 years and her very supportive, loving family.

I am a survivor!

Old 07-04-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I grew up as a Witness in the 50's and 60's. My experience is that there was NO question that I would be baptized as a Witness. I got baptized at 13 even though I didn't believe the Witness's had the TRUTH.

I was accused of Apostasy at 18 for talking to my girlfriend in what I thought was a private setting. The only thing we talked about was rock music, which I enjoyed and the idea that rock had demon influences and caused unclean thoughts. As it happened, her younger, unbaptized brother overheard the conversation, and within a week I was disfellowshipped and kicked out of my home.

This happened in 1971. I've had little to no contact with my family, except my older brother Jerry who continued fellowship with me. I still love classic rock music, played in bands and have had a wonderful life. I was heavily scarred by my association with the Witness organization. But I have a wonderfull wife of 43 years and her very supportive, loving family.

I am a survivor!

That's funny. I write rock and roll music. Yes some of rock music is bad, no doubt. So I would say there are other reasons as well that you got disfellowshipped. Lets hear the whole story.

Old 07-04-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

You need to get yourself a life-- you will need a light bulb though.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:47 PM

13,450 posts, read 4,976,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
You need to get yourself a life-- you will need a light bulb though.
maybe not dark, but certainly with eyes wide shut.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:24 AM

6,331 posts, read 2,115,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
"Intelligence plus character that is the goal of true education"-Martin Luther King Jr.

"A well made head rather than a well filled head"-Michel de Montaigne

I disagree with the statement that JWs do not strive for personal excellence or trying to better one's living situation. JWs as a group share a common outlook about education and that is such education should help one become a productive member of society. This means not only learning the necessary life skills to provide for themselves and their families but also building moral character. It also means when you set out to do a task you do your best.

If by higher education you mean a college education well I'm a college grad myself. However, I have encountered people both Witnesses and non Witnesses who do not have a college degree yet are doing well financially compared to some with a college education. In fact, there are numerous news reports about the incredible amount of debt that college graduates are faced with. It's disproportionate to the salary they receive despite having that college education. This isn't to say that college degrees wont better one's living situation but in reality it depends on what field of study a person chooses.

I do agree about the proliferation of publications, programs etc written or focused on ex-(fill in the blank). I'm a former Catholic but I don't bash Catholicism nor its adherents. I've found a belief system that works better for me. I can only hope that these ex-_________ will eventually move on and find something that uplifts rather than tearing down.
This video goes into the benefits of ex members speaking out. It's talking about exMuslims but an ex is an ex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Bt7xsOQ_I

Old 07-05-2019, 01:22 PM

918 posts, read 624,105 times
Quote:
More like keeping a flicker of freedom alive in a darkened world

Educate yourself. There are religious groups and atheists who use the legal processes to remove religious monuments from public lands, Biblical references from court houses, restricting the rights of gays to marry (an example, California's Proposition 8). These are anti-x,y,z. JWs instead use their resources and time to protect our liberties. The resultant court victories often times benefit other groups even those who don't share our beliefs.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/national-s...ling-witnesses

Excerpts from the above article:

"Of course, there are lots of messages we'd rather not see or hear. Consider highway billboards. Gay pride parades in southern states are about as popular as Mormon jubilees in northern California. Yet each deserves constitutional protection because they mean something to someone. Isn't that the point of a marketplace of ideas? Every opinion gets its fair hearing."

"Think of the activities of Jehovah's Witnesses as a necessary annoyance for living in a free society. After all, how we treat Jehovah's Witnesses only foreshadows what others will face when they have something unpopular to say."

Old 07-05-2019, 01:28 PM

918 posts, read 624,105 times
[quote]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
maybe not dark, but certainly with eyes wide shut.

See post #38

Old 07-05-2019, 01:29 PM

25,749 posts, read 13,395,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
More like keeping a flicker of freedom alive in a darkened world

Educate yourself. There are religious groups and atheists who use the legal processes to remove religious monuments from public lands, Biblical references from court houses, restricting the rights of gays to marry (an example, California's Proposition 8). These are anti-x,y,z. JWs instead use their resources and time to protect our liberties. The resultant court victories often times benefit other groups even those who don't share our beliefs.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/national-s...ling-witnesses

Excerpts from the above article:

"Of course, there are lots of messages we'd rather not see or hear. Consider highway billboards. Gay pride parades in southern states are about as popular as Mormon jubilees in northern California. Yet each deserves constitutional protection because they mean something to someone. Isn't that the point of a marketplace of ideas? Every opinion gets its fair hearing."

"Think of the activities of Jehovah's Witnesses as a necessary annoyance for living in a free society. After all, how we treat Jehovah's Witnesses only foreshadows what others will face when they have something unpopular to say."
I educated myself by talking with many dead-eyed, zombie-fied JWs over the past 50 years.

Not to mention reading kjw's hundreds of posts of blathering nonsense.

JWs are a cruel, nasty sub-sect of Christianity. Only Westboro is worse, in my experience. Anyone who would shun their children for the stupid reasons JWs do, is evidence enough that the whole religion is crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or