Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2019, 08:34 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
"Early Christians" didn't know that feces could cause you health issues when it was just put out on the street and ended up on their food. "Early Christians" did a lot of things, and we have grown out of almost every single one of them, as our knowledge grew. The JW's are still waiting to evolve to that point I guess...

Sorry, but as a child, being forced to attend of bunch of religious stuff, be unable to participate in any of your classmates birthdays, or any holidays, and many other things would make your life incredibly boring. If all there is for your kids is "Oh, I got a Nintendo and a bike!", then I feel sorry for them.

No, you just stop your kids from being a part of it, making them the outcasts. Must have been fun for them....
good point miss90s

like Christmas makes me sick on many levels. But I trudge through it so my kids fit in. they can choose not to, but helping them to just fit in, so that they can "fit out" when they need is how I self justify it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 10:56 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
good point miss90s

like Christmas makes me sick on many levels. But I trudge through it so my kids fit in. they can choose not to, but helping them to just fit in, so that they can "fit out" when they need is how I self justify it.
To me, it is simply making sure your kids aren't "those kids". You know, the ones always left out of all the fun stuff and the friend groups? Some of the best memories of my childhood are either birthday or holiday related. A lot of that kind of stuff went on at school as well.

Imagine your kid having to sit out in the hall, or miss school entirely, all because you think having fun while celebrating a birthday or holiday makes a god angry... I mean, seriously...

Old 07-09-2019, 02:35 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
JWs are hated because they are hateful. They represent the worst of Christianity.
Eh, not really. They are pretty garden variety. They are just more out in the open because they go door to door and they print so much of their beliefs that it's easy to expose them. The mechanism is the same as thousands of groups that exert control over the membership.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Eh, not really. They are pretty garden variety. They are just more out in the open because they go door to door and they print so much of their beliefs that it's easy to expose them. The mechanism is the same as thousands of groups that exert control over the membership.
I understand why your view of them is more tolerant. I think those old men in New York are evil - plain and simple. They prey on the weak-minded and uneducated and turn them into a colony of Stepford Wives.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:21 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,917,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, if shunning hurts both those who are shunned and those who are doing the shunning, perhaps it's not the best way to handle the situation. Hypothetically, if I were to leave a church (the JWs or any other one), I would be a whole lot more likely to "repent" and return to the fold, so to speak, if I were NOT being shunned. Shunning, IMO, is just a way to ensure that the ties of fellowship are broken for good.

I would say our creator knows best. His word says not to even share a meal with an unrepentant brother or sister.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I understand why your view of them is more tolerant. I think those old men in New York are evil - plain and simple. They prey on the weak-minded and uneducated and turn them into a colony of Stepford Wives.

Reality--They teach us--Every utterance from God-- Jesus told man, they must live by every utterance, How can one if they do not know them? Most claiming to love and serve Jesus, don't even know what he actually taught. How can one obey if they do not know what he actually teaches?

Old 07-10-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
JWs are hated because they are hateful. They represent the worst of Christianity.

I bet those in darkness thought that about the new religion Jesus began. After all, most got murdered from hateful hearts. The world hates the truth, that is why.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
If you are referring to me, I'm a guy, not a girl.

My apologies.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
<crickets>

Please answer my question. WHO appointed these teachers and when?

Matthew 24:45 says Jesus did.) REV6 occurred 1914-

Old 07-10-2019, 05:58 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
My apologies.

No sweat. Willamette City is pretty gender neutral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality