U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 01:57 PM

23,633 posts, read 8,219,173 times

Advertisements

Wow, just heard a fascinating interview with Amber on her departure from JW.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/05/72977...g-her-religion

I thought the catholics had a grip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 02:02 PM

15,350 posts, read 12,109,955 times
I skimmed it...good for her...ha, to thing Armagedon would be someone's focus...
new to me.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:47 AM

2,735 posts, read 1,862,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I skimmed it...good for her...ha, to thing Armagedon would be someone's focus...
new to me.
How many Catholics spend their lives worrying about Armageddon?
Or spend their entire adult lives trying to gain new recruits, and hence not getting an education etc?
JWs are notorious for this, along with a few other groups.
This article doesn't say what became of this woman afterwards, as in becoming irreligious or joining another Christian group.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:02 AM

13,450 posts, read 4,976,974 times
JW's are at or near the line in what we might look at banning.

we have error, there is nothing we can do about that but try and limit it. maybe letting JW's operate an acceptable error.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:29 AM

177 posts, read 36,934 times
Both from the posted article and a bit of online sleuthing, it's rather easy to put a different spin on this story:

1. Amber was temporarily disfellowshipped by the JW as a teenager for having sex with her boyfriend.
2. Despite this and other "incidents," Amber married a JW at 22 and journeyed to China as a JW missionary.
3. While working for a firm that produced podcasts, Amber connected with a listener and began speaking with him every day (with no intention, she predictably says, of the relationship ever becoming intimate).
4. Amber traveled to the U.S., met with Mr. Wonderful and - voila - had sex with him.
5. Mr. Wonderful convinced her the JW were a cult, although she had been having doubts even before this.
6. Amber was divorced by her husband and became persona non grata with friends and relatives, most of whom were presumably JW.
7. Mr. Wonderful predictably turned out to be not so Wonderful and that relationship collapsed like most such relationships.
8. Amber had little choice but to "Leave the Witness."
9. Amber predictably wrote a book, predictably blaming the JW for all her problems.
10. NPR predictably lapped up said book.
11. With her new husband, Amber lost a son on the first day of day care and has now turned that sad event into a personal crusade.

In short, this isn't really a tale about the JW at all. It's a familiar tale about an extremely mixed-up but ambitious young woman and the dangers of online relationships.

Interestingly, there is another version of Amber's tale on NPR where all mention of Mr. Wonderful and the online relationship is conveniently omitted. The genesis of her departure from the JW is described quite differently. A bit of a red flag that we're dealing with an agenda here.

I've never even been inside a JW kingdom hall, but I could crank out a "Leaving the Witnesses" book in 30 days and some publisher, media outlets like NPR, and the legions who love this sort of thing would lap it up.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:37 AM

21,954 posts, read 22,094,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post
I've never even been inside a JW kingdom hall, but I could crank out a "Leaving the Witnesses" book in 30 days and some publisher, media outlets like NPR, and the legions who love this sort of thing would lap it up.
I tend to agree -- at least up to a point. Any book written by an ex-anything is going to be pretty highly negatively biased, be it "Leaving the Witnesses," "Leaving Mormonism," "Leaving Catholicism," "Leaving Christianity" or "Leaving Islam." On the other hand, I think it's probably safe to say -- based on things JWs on this forum have posted -- that there really is a huge emphasis on Armageddon and quite a strong discouragement against pursuing a higher education, striving for personal excellence or trying to better one's living situation. That alone bugs me enough to keep me at arms length from the JWs.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:45 AM

23,633 posts, read 8,219,173 times
Oh I can't speak my opinions..ummmm. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:48 PM

5,931 posts, read 1,696,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

I listened to part 1 of a podcast last week on it, and I've got another podcast now on my ipad waiting for a listen. Interesting stuff. PM me for the name of the podcast if you're interested. I'm afraid it's likely a rules violation to reveal the name of it.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:50 PM

5,931 posts, read 1,696,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I tend to agree -- at least up to a point. Any book written by an ex-anything is going to be pretty highly negatively biased, be it "Leaving the Witnesses," "Leaving Mormonism," "Leaving Catholicism," "Leaving Christianity" or "Leaving Islam." On the other hand, I think it's probably safe to say -- based on things JWs on this forum have posted -- that there really is a huge emphasis on Armageddon and quite a strong discouragement against pursuing a higher education, striving for personal excellence or trying to better one's living situation. That alone bugs me enough to keep me at arms length from the JWs.
If they use well-documented sources, no reason to outright reject it. One also can't discount all experiences that happen to a person.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:30 PM

177 posts, read 36,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yes, the JW were founded on the notion of an imminent return of Jesus. When a couple of dates failed to pan out, they decided that he had returned invisibly (i.e., begun to reign in Heaven) in 1914 and would return visibly before the generation living in 1914 had passed away. So they are fast running out of time for that to occur and may be due for another major theological revision if it doesn't happen pretty soon. Things like that are what would keep me from pretending to be a JW.

However, time and again I have reached my own conclusions on an issue and learned to my surprise that it's exactly what the JW teach. There is scarcely anywhere within Orthodoxy, Catholicism or Protestantism that one doesn't encounter doctrines that I at least regard as "kinda goofy" and am unwilling to pretend to believe. So I go my own way as a veritable Christian potpourri, diligently studying theology and piecing together the version of Christianity that seems most correct to me.

On many Christian sites, one finds threads to the effect "DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE JW BELIEVE???" I then research the issue and find that, no, that's not what the JW believe at all. What they believe is often perfectly orthodox. One of my little missions is defending the JW against this sort of mindless slander.

Armageddon - or at least the Rapture, End Times, etc. - permeates almost all evangelical thinking. I share many of the views without letting it become an obsession. By their theology, the JW are pretty much forced to emphasize the imminence of The End. They do discourage college in favor of witnessing. Indeed, they discourage almost everything in favor of witnessing. But I have found them to be uniformly sincere and wonderful people for whom I have the highest respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or