U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 01:05 AM

918 posts, read 624,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Hi,
I am relatively new to these boards and I saw a thread "Why Religion is Dangerous" Mod note: (Referenced thread is in Atheism and Agnosticism) and I wanted to give a contrasting viewpoint.

I am nervous as I type, I feel a bit like Daniel in the Lion's Den.

For starters I want to say that me being a Christian (Quaker) and you being atheist doesn't make me a better person nor does it make me more loved by God. He loves us equally.

Okay here it goes...

Peace...

Every meeting house I have ever been involved with teaches non-violence. In this modern world with technological weapons can kill millions the choice is not between violence and pacifism it is between non-violence and non-existence. Jesus teaches us non-violence and turning the other cheek, living in harmony. We need more Jesus, not less. Meeting houses teach us to be a peacekeeper in our own corner of the world and to push pacifism or non-violence globally.

Inner Harmony...

As an 18 year old girl, I have a lot of stressers and self-doubt. But George Fox taught us to find that bit of God in us all by being silent and listening to that innervoice. It is very soothing and warming in times of stress.

Equality...

Religion teaches us that we are created equally. That we are all a reflection of God's image, stressing that equality. Meeting houses fought for women's suffrage and abolition, because of that equality. Seneca Falls Convention was hosted by a Quaker church. Susan B. Anthony, Alice Paul, Lucretia Mott, and Carrier Chapman Catt are just some of the Quakers who were leaders that fought for suffrage for women in a non-violent fashion with dignity and self-sacrifice.

Service...

Religion teaches us to serve in the community in all sorts of ways. We are always encouraged to do and share.

Purity...

My meeting house stresses avoiding alcohol, illegal drugs, cigarettes, etc...something that is healthy physically and mentally. My father turned his back on God becoming an atheist after my mother died and then started drinking and gambling, which led to bad consequences for him.

Business...

We are encouraged to try hard, be a self-starter, start your own...this leads to success.

Family...

Everyone in the meeting house is like a family and will help and serve each other. We hit hard financial straits when my dad was struggling and I recieved constant help from my Friends.

Please don't hate me...I also realize that I am young and not that smart...I just wanted to make a reply to that other thread and have been thinking on this patiently for a couple of days.

Nothing but love for all of you as you go through life.

I will leave this here and just listen to replies without posting arguments in return. As religion has taught me there is wisdom in listening and using fewer words.
Your beliefs are similar to mine. Thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 06:10 AM

3,767 posts, read 2,551,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Hi,
I am relatively new to these boards and I saw a thread "Why Religion is Dangerous" Mod note: (Referenced thread is in Atheism and Agnosticism) and I wanted to give a contrasting viewpoint.

I am nervous as I type, I feel a bit like Daniel in the Lion's Den.

For starters I want to say that me being a Christian (Quaker) and you being atheist doesn't make me a better person nor does it make me more loved by God. He loves us equally.

Okay here it goes...

Peace...

Every meeting house I have ever been involved with teaches non-violence. In this modern world with technological weapons can kill millions the choice is not between violence and pacifism it is between non-violence and non-existence. Jesus teaches us non-violence and turning the other cheek, living in harmony. We need more Jesus, not less. Meeting houses teach us to be a peacekeeper in our own corner of the world and to push pacifism or non-violence globally.

Inner Harmony...

As an 18 year old girl, I have a lot of stressers and self-doubt. But George Fox taught us to find that bit of God in us all by being silent and listening to that innervoice. It is very soothing and warming in times of stress.

Equality...

Religion teaches us that we are created equally. That we are all a reflection of God's image, stressing that equality. Meeting houses fought for women's suffrage and abolition, because of that equality. Seneca Falls Convention was hosted by a Quaker church. Susan B. Anthony, Alice Paul, Lucretia Mott, and Carrier Chapman Catt are just some of the Quakers who were leaders that fought for suffrage for women in a non-violent fashion with dignity and self-sacrifice.

Service...

Religion teaches us to serve in the community in all sorts of ways. We are always encouraged to do and share.

Purity...

My meeting house stresses avoiding alcohol, illegal drugs, cigarettes, etc...something that is healthy physically and mentally. My father turned his back on God becoming an atheist after my mother died and then started drinking and gambling, which led to bad consequences for him.

Business...

We are encouraged to try hard, be a self-starter, start your own...this leads to success.

Family...

Everyone in the meeting house is like a family and will help and serve each other. We hit hard financial straits when my dad was struggling and I recieved constant help from my Friends.

Please don't hate me...I also realize that I am young and not that smart...I just wanted to make a reply to that other thread and have been thinking on this patiently for a couple of days.

Nothing but love for all of you as you go through life.

I will leave this here and just listen to replies without posting arguments in return. As religion has taught me there is wisdom in listening and using fewer words.
The things is 99% of us would agree with what you said religion or none at all. The problem is that we actually have no idea whether living in "harmony" is truly the best way to live. In the most peaceful times we've managed to do more destruction to the very planet that's given us life then the thousands of years living in barbaric conditions while maintaining a population that allows us to live a balanced life with nature.

Just think about it in the U.S. at this very moment we have 100 million cows that we grow simply to slaughter!! Meanwhile the 6,000 Bengal tigers in southeast Asia like so many other species are tinkering on destruction. If anything religion should teach one that the world is much bigger than the human race with the power we have comes great responsibility. We throw away 50% of our food meaning it's not that we don't have food for the people we simply throw it away due to the inability to extract miniscule wealth from the next person.

A good start would be to understand that we're all conditioned and have been for centuries to truly see things for how they are is near impossible. At this point we shouldn't need the threats bestowed by religion to set us on the "right". Again to believe in any one religion entails that one has to see themselves as somehow more important than others, a major flaw of religion. To be endowed with rational thought and free Will gives us the ability to look past ourselves and our animalistic drive of self-preservation above all else.

I do applaud the Quakers as they've contributed greatly to what we as Americans value. Especially being the first to act to abolish slavery, and the idea that every man is created equal. Both of these originated from Quakers who like black Americans, and the Jews the creators of Christianity were oppressed people whose oppression had an outsized impact on them. If anything most American Christian's adhere to the Quaker beliefs that one has a personal connection with Jesus meaning the church is unnecessary.

Last edited by sean1the1; 07-02-2019 at 06:22 AM..

Old 07-02-2019, 06:25 AM

13,456 posts, read 4,976,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
The things is 99% of us would agree with what you said religion or none at all. The problem is that we actually have no idea whether living in "harmony" is truly the best way to live. In the most peaceful times we've managed to do more destruction to the very planet that's given us life then the thousands of years living in barbaric conditions while maintaining a population that allows us to live a balanced life with nature.

Just think about it in the U.S. at this very moment we have 100 million cows that we grow simply to slaughter!! Meanwhile the 6,000 Bengal tigers in southeast Asia like so many other species are tinkering on destruction. If anything religion should teach one that the world is much bigger than the human race with the power we have comes great responsibility. We throw away 50% of our food meaning it's not that we don't have food for the people we simply throw it away due to the inability to extract miniscule wealth from the next person.

A good start would be to understand that we're all conditioned and have been for centuries to truly see things for how they are is near impossible. At this point we shouldn't need the threats bestowed by religion to set us on the "right". Again to believe in any one religion entails that one has to see themselves as somehow more important than others, a major flaw of religion. To be endowed with rational thought and free Will gives us the ability to look past ourselves and our animalistic drive of self-preservation above all else.

I do applaud the Quakers as they've contributed greatly to what we as Americans value. Especially being the first to act to abolish slavery, and the idea that every man is created equal. Both of these originated from Quakers who like black Americans, and the Jews the creators of Christianity were oppressed people whose oppression had an outsized impact on them.
and that the key.

some things religion say line up with science. some things religion say do not line up with science.

its that simple.

That is completely different than saying "some people use religion as a weapon and some people use religion to help people"

yes, the fact is religion is used as a tool and a weapon.

its that simple.

About the only thing I don't agree with, as an atheist, is that we need to change everything, deny everything, and say religious are all wrong because we see religion being used by some people as a weapon.

That stance is just to far off of the reality of the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality