U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 05:42 PM

28 posts, read 2,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The above is a dumb post by a self-absorbed person.

Rude and insulting. Perhaps you should read the posting guidelines.

[*Moderators take note.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 06:15 PM

22,509 posts, read 10,414,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post

[*Moderators take note.]
Being condemned is pretty rude and insulting, too. Because even if were true, it's way above your pay grade to make the decision.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:15 PM

25,829 posts, read 13,421,966 times
Quote:

[*Moderators take note.]
Perhaps you should not consider yourself Blue Canary's personal spiritual guru.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Who was it that was saying the turn or burn tactic is not a go to technique?
Hell is not a topic I bring up often, but I don't see it as off-topic. Hell was a go-to topic for Jesus because of the horrendous, eternal consequences for those who don't take the topic seriously. If you were walking toward a steep cliff, would you criticize those who warned you about the cliff?

Jesus Warned of Hell 42 Times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFJyEM5dJoY

Old 07-12-2019, 03:23 AM

5,076 posts, read 942,908 times
Quote:
Hell is not a topic I bring up often, but I don't see it as off-topic. Hell was a go-to topic for Jesus because of the horrendous, eternal consequences for those who don't take the topic seriously. If you were walking toward a steep cliff, would you criticize those who warned you about the cliff?
Would you criticize a cult leader warning doubters they will be punished for eternity for not believing?

Old 07-12-2019, 03:27 AM

39,120 posts, read 10,849,315 times
Would you think highly of someone who gave you fair and generous warning of the destructive fire that would surely engulf your schmutter-business if you were hard -hearted and didn't kick in your 50 bucks a month..?

Old 07-12-2019, 06:57 AM

8,990 posts, read 8,415,946 times
Quote:
BlueCanary,
I saw your other thread and Iím now thinking I wasted a lot of my time taking you at your word and genuinely trying be of some help to you. Honestly, you donít seem as interested in seeking truth as you are in seeking a rationale to make it easier for you to abandon belief in God. The ultimate fate of agnostics is the same as that of atheists. Sad that you donít care more about your fate after you die, but itís your choice to make. Good luck.
I find this entire post rather offensive.

You are blaming Canary for wasting your time, implying that he owes you something and should feel guilty, casting aspersions on his motives, and then threatening him.

Taking the liberty of reframing these same attitudes in the setting of a dating world, it is like asking a person out on a date, then being told no. She wasted your time by going to dinner with her, took advantage of you by allowing you to buy her a drink when she had no intention of going home with you, and now you tell her she is ugly and is going to live a sad and lonely life.

Despicable. You show all the signs of being an emotionally manipulative predator.

Canary was very transparent in his current position, he never committed to changing his life for any poster, and it is his life to lead, regardless of the time, energy or hope you put into your posts. Which took only a few minutes in any case.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:05 AM

16,283 posts, read 7,657,119 times
"I find this post rather offensive" most of us did and your explanation of why is lucid and concise.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:37 AM

3,436 posts, read 1,258,900 times
Quote:

[*Moderators take note.]
Let's dispense with the rude and insulting, and simply concentrate on the facts.

You believe that after parts of three days the fully dead corpse of Jesus returned to life and subsequently flew off up into the sky. Why do you believe this? Because the book that you have been indoctrinated into accepting without question as "the revealed Word of God" says so. Or more specifically, because you were indoctrinated into Christianity, as opposed to some other form of religious make believe, and Christians declare it to be so.

You believe that a man who MAY have existed 2,000 years ago (it should be noted that this man's existence went entirely unrecorded during his lifetime) is going to return again one day (sooner rather than later in all probability) despite the fact that everyone who lived 2,000 years ago rather predictably DIED and have remained quite reliably DEAD these last 2,000 years. Why do you believe this? Because the book that you have been indoctrinated into accepting without question as "the revealed Word of God" and it says so. Or more specifically, because you were indoctrinated into Christianity, as opposed to some other form of religious make believe, and Christians declare it to be so.

And because you believe and accept that the Bible is the revealed word of God you also believe, presumably, that:

1. The earth once stopped rotating for about 24 hours at a command from Joshua. (Joshua 10:12-13)

2. A man once rode around inside a large fish for several days before being spat out safe and sound on dry land. Shades of Pinocchio! (Book of Jonah)

3. Hordes of dead people came up out of their graves and wandered the streets of Jerusalem. (Matthew 27:52-53)

Among other claims found in the Bible that represent the myths and fables of ancient superstitious people, but which contradict logic and reason are and should rightly be considered nothing more than ancient nonsense by modern educated people.

So the question becomes, how does one go about pointing out the childlike nature of such childlike beliefs without appearing to be rude, insulting, and condescending?

Old 07-13-2019, 06:06 PM

I can't say I believe all those things to be true. There are many issues of debate within Christianity, but not so much about the elements of it that matter most.

I don't mind telling you some of the things I believe. Let's start by seeing if we can establish any common ground.

Do you agree with the following statement?:

Jesus was a real person, who was said to have performed miracles and supposedly came back from the dead after 3 days. There were account by hundreds of people claiming to have seen the resurrected Jesus. Sometimes by multiple people at one time.

[*Notice I used "was said to" and "supposedly" so the statement does not necessitate belief in the supernatural to agree with it. I consider the statement as historical fact.]

Let me know your thoughts and, if you'd like, I'll tell you some other things I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Let's dispense with the rude and insulting, and simply concentrate on the facts.

You believe that after parts of three days the fully dead corpse of Jesus returned to life and subsequently flew off up into the sky. Why do you believe this? Because the book that you have been indoctrinated into accepting without question as "the revealed Word of God" says so. Or more specifically, because you were indoctrinated into Christianity, as opposed to some other form of religious make believe, and Christians declare it to be so.

You believe that a man who MAY have existed 2,000 years ago (it should be noted that this man's existence went entirely unrecorded during his lifetime) is going to return again one day (sooner rather than later in all probability) despite the fact that everyone who lived 2,000 years ago rather predictably DIED and have remained quite reliably DEAD these last 2,000 years. Why do you believe this? Because the book that you have been indoctrinated into accepting without question as "the revealed Word of God" and it says so. Or more specifically, because you were indoctrinated into Christianity, as opposed to some other form of religious make believe, and Christians declare it to be so.

And because you believe and accept that the Bible is the revealed word of God you also believe, presumably, that:

1. The earth once stopped rotating for about 24 hours at a command from Joshua. (Joshua 10:12-13)

2. A man once rode around inside a large fish for several days before being spat out safe and sound on dry land. Shades of Pinocchio! (Book of Jonah)

3. Hordes of dead people came up out of their graves and wandered the streets of Jerusalem. (Matthew 27:52-53)

Among other claims found in the Bible that represent the myths and fables of ancient superstitious people, but which contradict logic and reason are and should rightly be considered nothing more than ancient nonsense by modern educated people.

So the question becomes, how does one go about pointing out the childlike nature of such childlike beliefs without appearing to be rude, insulting, and condescending?

Last edited by Iwasmadenew; 07-13-2019 at 06:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality