Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2019, 09:15 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
This what you said in post 471...

Well, I’ve always responded to the “know” part as a “KNOWINGNESS” not embedded in any belief system — perhaps similar but not the same as a “gut feeling” or an “intuitive” feeling.
Words can’t really go there, it’s just a knowingness of God (I am comfortable using that word but others are not) sans any beliefs or religious ideology—although I do “believe” in God —

You are claiming to have a ''knowingness'' of ''God'' like a ''gut feeling'' but you don't seem to care whether or not you are right about the feeling.
And the point is that YOU read into it acceptance of the most obnoxious elements of the various perceptions of the nature of "God" presented in the text considered foundational to the various religions and sects that claim it. You re not interested in the poster's actual perception of that nature, just in what you can use to browbeat her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 09:18 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
so what are Jesus' commands?
Quote:

Well one of them was to sell your possessions and give the money to the poor. Another was that if anyone steals from you you should give them whatever else they want too. A third was that if anyone steals your things you are not to try to recover them.
I'd wager my pension that you have not sold all your possessions and given the money to the poor. I'd wager my pension that if someone took your computer you would not offer them the printer and monitor as well...and I would stake my life savings that, if you came home and found your car gone, the first thing you would do is to call the police and try to get it back.
Turn the other cheek? Love? Pfffft! Don't make me laugh. I see no Christians following the edicts of their 'Christ'. All I see in Christians is the same desire for revenge and justice as I see with anyone else.

Hi Raf - thanks for the response.
detachment from 'stuff'; Yes - it is very liberating, more than you can imagine; but also very difficult - a work in progress; sometimes painful, but I now understand it's necessity - to be able to focus on what's really important. It's a delicate balance, paycheck week-to-week with a family in tow, but thankfully they're on the same page.
If you knew my life story, you'd loose your pension AND your life savings - but that's ok, you can keep it - I'd rather keep trusting that God will provide what we need, as He has been. I will agree though that most are far too attached to material 'stuff', regardless of their 'label', and I'll be the first to admit that I was too for far too long.

Now 'turn/cheek' without hating and 'love thine enemy' - Bam, yes, that is where the rubber meets the road - a work in progress too, but the view from here is amazing!

Old 08-14-2019, 09:26 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And the point is that YOU read into it acceptance of the most obnoxious elements of the various perceptions of the nature of "God" presented in the text considered foundational to the various religions and sects that claim it. You re not interested in the poster's actual perception of that nature, just in what you can use to browbeat her.
No. I read into it that she believes in her god via a sort of 'gut' feeling. followed by a statement that she wasn't the least bit interested in being right.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:28 AM

12,030 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Hi mountainrose. What term best describes your worldview/religion? Also, if you don’t mind explaining, what were the circumstances of the first time you became aware of an inner ‘knowing’ of God? Thanks.
Good question Iwasmadenew — I guess my “religion” would be just that I believe in God and experience a personal relationship.
As I mentioned earlier, my first experience of God came through a “born again” Christian experience in college that profoundly changed my life.
LOL - and yes I was made new — from a very angry, judgmental, self centered , dishonest nineteen year old, to having my heart crack open and filled with what I am comfortable with calling Holy Spirit.
It was a very similar experience to what is called an “awakening” in non dual religions, but instead of the realization of unity oneness, lack of a personal self, it was an experience of GOD, and the awareness has always remained.

But I am not a traditional Christian in the sense that I don’t believe in many of the Christian doctrines — I see some of them more as symbolic teachings not actual facts that happened, yet I still feel a sacred alliance with the teachings of Jesus — whatever the whole phenomenon of Jesus actually was doesn’t give me doubt that there is the power to transform lives and if God used the teachings of Jesus to work in me so profoundly, I believe it can happen through other spiritual pathways also.

My husband has studied and trained in Buddhism and Advaita Vendata and we have a wonderful spiritual life together even though our pathways were so different. I experience a deep gratitude that God brought such a wonderful loving friend, companion, and spiritual partner in marriage for 38 years now.

I am 67 years old, so it’s been a long journey of deep inquiry, and the building of faith and TRUST.
Faith in what?
There is a confident loving TRUST in God that is not governed by feelings or intellect.
The Holy Spirit resonates for me at a level that transcends intellect or “religion.”

LOL — I am STILL totlally capable of angry, self-centered behavior now — but I can
“see it” and let it go.

Hope that answered your question Iwasmadenew.

Last edited by mountainrose; 08-14-2019 at 09:38 AM..

Old 08-14-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
No. I read into it that she believes in her god via a sort of 'gut' feeling. followed by a statement that she wasn't the least bit interested in being right.
Rafius — why does all this matter so much to you?

I think perhaps you think when I use the word God it’s a religious being with physical attributes and a gender.
Would you be more comfortable if I used another word?

Last edited by mountainrose; 08-14-2019 at 10:17 AM..

Old 08-14-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Radius
Rafius

Quote:
— why does all this matter so much to you?
I think perhaps you think when I use the word God it’s a religious being with physical attributes and a gender.
That's what your posts 494 implies. I'd wager that 99.9% of people reading that post would assume that you are a believer in the Christian god.

Quote:
Would you be more comfortable if I used another word?
Wouldn't make any difference.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Rafius

That's what your posts 494 implies. I'd wager that 99.9% of people reading that post would assume that you are a believer in the Christian god.

Why does all this matter so much to you?

Old 08-14-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Why does all this matter so much to you?
I like to think that I'm helping arrest the spread of wilful ignorance and superstition. It's also a discussion forum on which people discuss the posts of others...both for and against. If you have a problem with people challenging you then it would be better not to post.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
If you knew my life story, you'd loose your pension AND your life savings - but that's ok, you can keep it -
So then bro, are you saying that you have sold all your possessions and given the money to the poor, that if you caught someone making off with your computer, you would call them back and ask them if there was anything they would like to take and that, once they were away with your gear, you wouldn't call the police??

Quote:
I'd rather keep trusting that God will provide what we need, as He has been.
Then why do you need to have anything at all? Why not give it all away...to me!
Of course. One is prompted to ask just why Yahweh sees fit to cater for your needs whilst allowing children to die horrible for nothing more than a glass of clean water.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:09 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
So then bro, are you saying that you have sold all your possessions and given the money to the poor, that if you caught someone making off with your computer, you would call them back and ask them if there was anything they would like to take and that, once they were away with your gear, you wouldn't call the police??

Then why do you need to have anything at all? Why not give it all away...to me!
Of course. One is prompted to ask just why Yahweh sees fit to cater for your needs whilst allowing children to die horrible for nothing more than a glass of clean water.
What computer? He sold all of his possessions and gave the money to the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality