Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 06:04 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I reconcile it by going with honesty. I can't lie and say I believe something I just don't believe, and if God is what God is supposed to be, God gets that.
I feel sure He does. I've finally come to that conclusion, and it has relieved a lot of stress for me. I think God wants us to think for ourselves and not just blindly follow either a book or other human beings. But I also believe He will reveal His truths to us individually once He knows we're ready to accept and act on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 08:03 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If you are actually affiliated with a specific religion or denomination of Christianity, how do you reconcile what your religion teaches with what you actually believe? If there's a conflict, do you just toss out the baby with the bath water and move on to a new set of beliefs, do you stress out about the discrepancy between what you believe and what you have been told you're "supposed to" believe, or have you found a good way to reconcile these conflicts while still remaining part of the group you affiliate with?
I tossed out the baby with the bath water and moved on to a new set of beliefs.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:42 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I tossed out the baby with the bath water and moved on to a new set of beliefs.
My route too, more or less.

Too soon...

Old 06-28-2019, 08:58 PM

6,455 posts, read 3,977,052 times
I guess it depends on the beliefs. Anything major, I'd move on to something that aligned better, as someone else said. Minor things, it doesn't matter. I've most recently gone to churches in denominations that practice infant baptism. It's not something I believe in, but it's not a dealbreaker; it's not like I encounter it very often, it doesn't affect me, and no one has said "infant baptism or you're going to hell!"

Sometimes I wish my church was more heavily involved in charitable work, but there is some stuff they do, there are members who do things on their own, and I feel free to do the same; I don't need my church to direct me as to what I will do as far as charities are concerned.

If we differed on matters of exclusiveness or equality, I'd have to move on, but when I first thought I wanted to start attending my church, I met with my pastor to discuss the beliefs of the denomination to make sure it was a good fit.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:59 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I kept the baby, changed the bath water, keep buying bigger bathtubs and continue to add herbs to the water.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:24 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I suspect very few people are 100% onboard with every last doctrine or dogma their particular church espouses, and I really take issue with anyone who would label someone a "hypocrite" for sticking with a church they agree with, say, 95%. I actually have a word for such people, but I can't use it here.
This is a rebuke from a "Lady" and, sadly, there seem to be fewer and fewer of them today than in the past. My wife is one that is how I recognize one. Of course, I did cheat a little knowing she is a Mormon.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:15 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is a rebuke from a "Lady" and, sadly, there seem to be fewer and fewer of them today than in the past. My wife is one that is how I recognize one. Of course, I did cheat a little knowing she is a Mormon.
This is a rebuke from a "lady" who does not want to become an ex-member of City-Data.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:21 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
You use your judgment and move on from dogma.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:35 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
My route too, more or less.

Too soon...
"Too late" is what I expected to see. "Too soon" piques my interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I kept the baby, changed the bath water, keep buying bigger bathtubs and continue to add herbs to the water.
I should have kept the baby. Maybe I did save the baby (me).

Old 06-29-2019, 05:56 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
You use your judgment and move on from dogma.
to general to be useful.
anything can be considered "dogma" and personal opinions can be seriously flawed.

these are the statements that us middle of road types see...

died and rised for our sins
love thy enemy

we evaluate these statements on the statements themselves not if they are "dogma" or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality