U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 01:07 PM

19,774 posts, read 19,875,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If you are actually affiliated with a specific religion or denomination of Christianity, how do you reconcile what your religion teaches with what you actually believe? If there's a conflict, do you just toss out the baby with the bath water and move on to a new set of beliefs, do you stress out about the discrepancy between what you believe and what you have been told you're "supposed to" believe, or have you found a good way to reconcile these conflicts while still remaining part of the group you affiliate with?
I would think your own personal beliefs, thoughts and opinions would give you an indication that what you've been told to believe may not be the "Truth" especially since most are man made
If you feel your beliefs are not quite in line with those of your particular belief in a god then go with it .
"They" really don't really know more than you do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 06:56 PM

10,516 posts, read 12,728,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Atheism really has nothing to do with this topic. Read the OP--Katzpur is asking the question of people who do have some sort of belief.
It has to do with the idea of being "told" to believe something. No one believes because they are told to believe. They believe because they've seen the grace of God.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:05 PM

22,437 posts, read 10,385,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It has to do with the idea of being "told" to believe something. No one believes because they are told to believe. They believe because they've seen the grace of God.
That's just not true. Little children in Sunday school are basically told to believe something.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:56 PM

2,735 posts, read 1,862,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I suspect very few people are 100% onboard with every last doctrine or dogma their particular church espouses, and I really take issue with anyone who would label someone a "hypocrite" for sticking with a church they agree with, say, 95%. I actually have a word for such people, but I can't use it here.
Agreed on this issue, you are not going to necessarily agree with everything your church believes or teaches.
That does not mean you leave it.
Of course, there are many sniping and carping from the sidelines, who would like you to leave it.
But joining their ilk, who are totally Un-Christlike in nature, is going even more against my beliefs.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:39 PM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's just not true. Little children in Sunday school are basically told to believe something.
Exactly. We are told in Sunday School that this and that and the other thing is what we are supposed to believe.

Even worse, we are told that the act of believing itself is our salvation.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:41 PM

6,331 posts, read 2,115,480 times
While still a believer I went with what felt true within my own spirit. It was so strong I couldn't have denied it even if I wanted to. It contradicted everything I was told. There was no organization involved at that point, just the opposite. As far as belonging to a group if I agreed with 95% of something and that 5% contradicted a core belief of mine I would stand against them. If that 5% was no big deal then that's no big deal.

Is MQ giving away the atheist recipe for baby soup?

Old 06-29-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
While still a believer I went with what felt true within my own spirit. It was so strong I couldn't have denied it even if I wanted to. It contradicted everything I was told. There was no organization involved at that point, just the opposite. As far as belonging to a group if I agreed with 95% of something and that 5% contradicted a core belief of mine I would stand against them. If that 5% was no big deal then that's no big deal.

Is MQ giving away the atheist recipe for baby soup?
HAHAHA, don't be silly. That's a secret recipe Episcopalians make for their potluck dinners!

Old 06-29-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Exactly. We are told in Sunday School that this and that and the other thing is what we are supposed to believe.

Even worse, we are told that the act of believing itself is our salvation.
Exactly. It is the belief itself that saves. We believe because deep inside we already know it is true.

We can never know ourselves until we believe. We can never truly be happy until we are able to be ourselves.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Exactly. It is the belief itself that saves. We believe because deep inside we already know it is true.

We can never know ourselves until we believe. We can never truly be happy until we are able to be ourselves.
Like, deep stuff, man.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Like, deep stuff, man.
It's the reason you were created.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or