U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 01:49 PM

21,954 posts, read 22,094,309 times

Advertisements

If you are actually affiliated with a specific religion or denomination of Christianity, how do you reconcile what your religion teaches with what you actually believe? If there's a conflict, do you just toss out the baby with the bath water and move on to a new set of beliefs, do you stress out about the discrepancy between what you believe and what you have been told you're "supposed to" believe, or have you found a good way to reconcile these conflicts while still remaining part of the group you affiliate with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 01:53 PM

22,437 posts, read 10,385,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If you are actually affiliated with a specific religion or denomination of Christianity, how do you reconcile what your religion teaches with what you actually believe? If there's a conflict, do you just toss out the baby with the bath water and move on to a new set of beliefs, do you stress out about the discrepancy between what you believe and what you have been told you're "supposed to" believe, or have you found a good way to reconcile these conflicts while still remaining part of the group you affiliate with?
That's one of the nice things about Theravada Buddhism. Buddha recommended that people not just accept the teachings. But that they instead test the teachings. If they seem valid, incorporate them into your life. If they seem invalid, keep an open mind, put them away for perhaps another day. It's not a dictatorial religion...if it's really a religion at all.

Great question!

Old 06-28-2019, 01:58 PM

40,034 posts, read 26,715,004 times
Quote:
If you are actually affiliated with a specific religion or denomination of Christianity, how do you reconcile what your religion teaches with what you actually believe? If there's a conflict, do you just toss out the baby with the bathwater and move on to a new set of beliefs, do you stress out about the discrepancy between what you believe and what you have been told you're "supposed to" believe, or have you found a good way to reconcile these conflicts while still remaining part of the group you affiliate with?
I have no dog in this issue, but I am surprised that you would ask this question, Katz, because you have clearly found the answers for yourself. I admire that very much. There is so much to admire and love about Mormonism, especially the ubiquitous "Mormon Glow."

Old 06-28-2019, 02:03 PM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
I reconcile it by going with honesty. I can't lie and say I believe something I just don't believe, and if God is what God is supposed to be, God gets that.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:05 PM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's one of the nice things about Theravada Buddhism. Buddha recommended that people not just accept the teachings. But that they instead test the teachings. If they seem valid, incorporate them into your life. If they seem invalid, keep an open mind, put them away for perhaps another day. It's not a dictatorial religion...if it's really a religion at all.

Great question!
That's more or less how I go, only I've never studied Buddhism.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:10 PM

40,034 posts, read 26,715,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I reconcile it by going with honesty. I can't lie and say I believe something I just don't believe, and if God is what God is supposed to be, God gets that.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:56 PM

25,750 posts, read 13,395,224 times
I jettisoned most of what I was taught (Christianity) when it conflicted with what I felt was true.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:57 PM

10,520 posts, read 15,567,026 times
I do not understand the greatness of the question.
Why would you associate yourself with anything that is contrary to your convictions?
You then are a hypocrite.

I mean - gods, haven't I seen grosses of such folks.... Conformists, hypocrites... Why they do this? Habit, mental laziness, self interest (you get mass support and networking from your "association"), fear, simple really reasons.
But it does not change basic principle - you being a liar to yourself and to others.

I guess, this is why I am on my own and own only. I can't stand hypocrisy.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I do not understand the greatness of the question.
Why would you associate yourself with anything that is contrary to your convictions?
You then are a hypocrite.

I mean - gods, haven't I seen grosses of such folks.... Conformists, hypocrites... Why they do this? Habit, mental laziness, self interest (you get mass support and networking from your "association"), fear, simple really reasons.
But it does not change basic principle - you being a liar to yourself and to others.

I guess, this is why I am on my own and own only. I can't stand hypocrisy.
I suspect very few people are 100% onboard with every last doctrine or dogma their particular church espouses, and I really take issue with anyone who would label someone a "hypocrite" for sticking with a church they agree with, say, 95%. I actually have a word for such people, but I can't use it here.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I have no dog in this issue, but I am surprised that you would ask this question, Katz, because you have clearly found the answers for yourself. I admire that very much. There is so much to admire and love about Mormonism, especially the ubiquitous "Mormon Glow."
Thank you, Mystic. I pretty much have found the answers that satisfy me, but I'm curious about other people. It can be disconcerting for someone to realize at some point that something they had always been taught may not be entirely accurate. People respond to these "conflicts" differently.

I know that I was having a conversation with my husband a few months back, which changed the way I looked at things. I was struggling with some minor LDS doctrine or policy (more likely) and I told my husband that I just couldn't reconcile what I actually believed with what I thought I was "supposed to" believe. He said, "I'm to the point where I just have to put some doctrines on the back burner. The only things I am 100% convinced of are the things that God has taught me." It took a while for me to get what He was saying, but I finally did. I'm now able to recognize that there are always going to be things the Bible says and things my church's leadership says that just don't quite ring true to me. I try to remain open-minded to the possibility that they might, in fact, be "true," but until God confirms to me (through the Holy Ghost) that something is true, I am now comfortable saying, "I just don't know. I have no firm feelings about that one thing." When God confirms to me that something is true -- whether it corresponds to what men are telling me (and I mean things men wrote in the scripture or the things men are saying today), I'll believe it because I feel that I have it right from the source. I think it's hard to get to that point, though. At least it was for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or