U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2019, 03:30 PM
 
664 posts, read 144,768 times
Reputation: 2249

Advertisements

I found this article interesting.

Quote:
When Janet Belland and Mitch Zukowski decided to get married, they scoped out venues ranging from the Surly Brewing Co. to hotel ballrooms to the Minnesota Boat Club. One place they never bothered to check: a church.
Quote:
The coupleís decision reflects a seismic shift in modern marriages. For centuries, nearly all marriages took place in houses of worship, in ceremonies honoring both the bride and groom and their creator. That tradition has eroded dramatically in just a few decades.

Religious institutions hosted only 22% of weddings in 2017, according to a survey by the Knot, a leading wedding news website. Thatís a swift decline from the 41% in 2009.
Church weddings dwindle as Minn. couples buck tradition - StarTribune.com

Twenty-four years ago, my wife and I were married at a cabin, and there was nothing at all religious about our ceremony. But neither of us were raised in anything resembling a religious tradition, so it wasn't reflective of any particular change on our part. My wife's grandmother even attended - almost thirty years earlier, she had been adamant that the wedding of her daughter would be a Catholic ceremony or she would not be attending. My future in-laws went through the motions for sake of family peace even though they had no use for religion even then.

I must say, perhaps the most enjoyable wedding I've ever attended was one in which the officiant was a local famous-for-being-famous celebrity of minor note named Fancy Ray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2019, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
22,437 posts, read 10,385,168 times
Reputation: 20299
Good to hear. Praise the...free thinkers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 05:30 PM
 
13,450 posts, read 4,976,974 times
Reputation: 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I found this article interesting.





Church weddings dwindle as Minn. couples buck tradition - StarTribune.com

Twenty-four years ago, my wife and I were married at a cabin, and there was nothing at all religious about our ceremony. But neither of us were raised in anything resembling a religious tradition, so it wasn't reflective of any particular change on our part. My wife's grandmother even attended - almost thirty years earlier, she had been adamant that the wedding of her daughter would be a Catholic ceremony or she would not be attending. My future in-laws went through the motions for sake of family peace even though they had no use for religion even then.

I must say, perhaps the most enjoyable wedding I've ever attended was one in which the officiant was a local famous-for-being-famous celebrity of minor note named Fancy Ray.
the only thing that counts is how the parents take care of the offspring. Time and safety hide a comedy of errors.

parents that turn unfit people lose on us are far more of a concern to me than how they got married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 06:30 PM
 
664 posts, read 144,768 times
Reputation: 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Good to hear. Praise the...free thinkers!
To an extent, this is a manifestation of the erosion of conformity enforced through social disapprobation. Today, people feel far more free to eschew religious rites for which they have no (or less) use. In the past, when the social consequences were more severe, this wasn't as easy.

In a nutshell, it's no longer politically incorrect to get married without all the trappings of piety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2019, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Ohio
19,868 posts, read 14,217,545 times
Reputation: 16058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
To an extent, this is a manifestation of the erosion of conformity enforced through social disapprobation. Today, people feel far more free to eschew religious rites for which they have no (or less) use. In the past, when the social consequences were more severe, this wasn't as easy.

In a nutshell, it's no longer politically incorrect to get married without all the trappings of piety.
You don't need churches for marriage.

People married for thousands of years without churches, and those big Medieval cathedrals you see?

Commoners weren't allowed to get married in those.

The less role churches play in people's lives the better off people are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2019, 06:17 PM
 
3,529 posts, read 1,344,614 times
Reputation: 6910
"renting" a traditional church for a wedding is really, really expensive.
AND reserving a Saturday in June takes a 2-year advance notice.
that might be one reason.

yes, our church does all the wedding variants, and we make money
on non-members using our sanctuary. since we do not allow alcohol
or "fake" replicants our requests have dwindled to a reasonable number.
still, get in line. first opening is March, 2021.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2019, 08:52 PM
 
11,225 posts, read 11,251,267 times
Reputation: 3445
Technologically, we've expanded beyond anything we've ever had a right to hope for. Christianity's mortal enemy is technological advancement. When the Internet arrived it was the death-knell for Christianity in particular and religions in general. If, God forbid, we get into a World War with Russia, China, and Iran we'll all blow ourselves back to the Stone Age and the few survivors will be starting from scratch. Then Christianity might have a chance at a comeback as fear and superstition replace knowledge and technology. But if things stay on course Christianity in particular and religions in general will be a near-extinct species.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2019, 11:18 PM
 
5,931 posts, read 1,696,500 times
Reputation: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I found this article interesting.





Church weddings dwindle as Minn. couples buck tradition - StarTribune.com

Twenty-four years ago, my wife and I were married at a cabin, and there was nothing at all religious about our ceremony. But neither of us were raised in anything resembling a religious tradition, so it wasn't reflective of any particular change on our part. My wife's grandmother even attended - almost thirty years earlier, she had been adamant that the wedding of her daughter would be a Catholic ceremony or she would not be attending. My future in-laws went through the motions for sake of family peace even though they had no use for religion even then.

I must say, perhaps the most enjoyable wedding I've ever attended was one in which the officiant was a local famous-for-being-famous celebrity of minor note named Fancy Ray.
I think the culture is changing. Just as many people believe as a couple of generations ago, but less people are posing and trying to look good to keep up appearances. That includes church weddings just for appearances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2019, 06:20 AM
 
13,450 posts, read 4,976,974 times
Reputation: 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Technologically, we've expanded beyond anything we've ever had a right to hope for. Christianity's mortal enemy is technological advancement. When the Internet arrived it was the death-knell for Christianity in particular and religions in general. If, God forbid, we get into a World War with Russia, China, and Iran we'll all blow ourselves back to the Stone Age and the few survivors will be starting from scratch. Then Christianity might have a chance at a comeback as fear and superstition replace knowledge and technology. But if things stay on course Christianity in particular and religions in general will be a near-extinct species.
I would modify it a bit to literal interpretations of Christianity is a real threat. I would extend that statement to any literal interpretation of any set of rules are a problem.

When guidelines turn into the letter of law we have real problems.

I get back to "where does this start?"

who takes guidlines and makes them the letter of law?
who takes one event and turns it into "precedent?"

"who?" ... back to types of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2019, 02:48 AM
 
15 posts, read 983 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You don't need churches for marriage.

People married for thousands of years without churches, and those big Medieval cathedrals you see?

Commoners weren't allowed to get married in those.

The less role churches play in people's lives the better off people are.

I totally agree with you and that is good news. Never knew that until I saw your reply. Thank God (if I may) for that. Why spend what is supposed to be one of your happiest days of your life, in some creepy unfamiliar building, that has been for ages? Not a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top