Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 06:54 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I Googled "help leaving...." and Mormon church was the second result.

https://quitmormon.com/
Good grief. You don't need a lawyer to leave the LDS Church. You just stop going. Looks like someone is trying to make a buck here.

Last edited by Katzpur; 06-30-2019 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anondeadgirl View Post
All of my relatives and siblings that I know are LDS, so no matter where I go I feel all the pressure and force from everyone trying to stay on the "righteous path". I am going to community college which they aren't paying for because I have a scholarship, but I will be living at home since I can't support myself financially yet and because my parents will do anything to keep me from moving away. Its just going to be a lot harder to be able to save up while going to school and keeping a scholarship so my parents can't hang school over my head
Look, I'm LDS. My husband and I raised our two kids LDS. During their teenage years, they decided they no longer wanted to be a part of the Church. When they graduated from high school, they found roommates and got jobs and moved out. Sure, my husband and I would have preferred that they remain LDS, but it was their choice to leave. When they did, the world didn't end -- not for us and not for them. They've been on their own ever since, and no longer have anything to do with the Church. We still have a good relationship with them. Your situation is not the slightest bit unusual. It may take a bit longer for you to be able to move out, but meanwhile, you're an adult living in the home of other adults who have the right to make the rules, even if those rules don't suit you. I just hope all of you can work through this and still remain close, because it is possible and it would be the best thing for everyone concerned.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:05 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Good grief. You don't need a lawyer to leave the LDS Church. You just stop going. Looks like someone is trying to make a buck here.
Maybe that's all there is to it for adults who aren't in harsh environments. Beyond the more typical, you do realize that some Mormons live in isolated polygamist communities and may need legal help to get out.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
this is exactly what the bible meant when it said jesus said I will tear apart families.

when families have misguided people in them, you, as a rational person, don't have to follow them.

you are learning that most people are no different than anything else that runs on instinct. i call them sleepers. they are sleep walking and you are wake.

good luck, I mean that.
"Rational" is in the mind of the beholder, Arach Angle. We've heard just one side of the story here and yet you're convinced that there is no other side that matters. Maybe the OP's parents are as controlling and zealous as she says they are. On the other hand, maybe they'd present an entirely different story if we were to be able to talk to them.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:48 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
OP, I look back to my years after high school until I got my first full-time job after college. I hung around home during my college years because it seemed easy. It wasn't. I was dominated way too much. I should gone out and found a job with more hours, found a roommate, and gotten out of that house. I was too timid.

My advice, get out at practically any cost. Get a job as a waitress or at Walmart. You can work and do college. Find a roommate.

Otherwise, you're just moaning and groaning.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:33 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,852,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anondeadgirl View Post
They don't want me to move out so they do anything to make sure I can't. Since I recently turned 18 I'm able to get an insurance check from an accident I was in and basically all the money I'm getting that could be used for me to move out is going to my parents ....
What the hell is stopping you opening a bank account and having your money paid into that so that they can't get it>

Old 07-01-2019, 12:54 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
What the hell is stopping you opening a bank account and having your money paid into that so that they can't get it>
It does have to be a total break. That happened when I got a London job and something like accommodation. It has to be total.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It does have to be a total break. That happened when I got a London job and something like accommodation. It has to be total.
Quite so, but she can't escape when the parent have control of her dosh. First she needs to be in charge of her finances and then she can move out.

I have a cunning plan old fruit...and it's as cunning as a fox that has just been appointed professor of cunning at Cunning university in Cunningtown!

Me being an old duffer of 70 that is just beginning to babble incoherently, foam at the mouth and lose bladder control...why don't we hire me to the OP to take home to her parents and tell them that she is going to marry me. This will surely result in them disowning her and then she can move out to her own pad! You can act as my carer - usual 10% commission of course.

Last edited by Rafius; 07-01-2019 at 02:58 AM..

Old 07-01-2019, 03:02 AM

562 posts, read 677,085 times
If you can't find a way now, be patient and Pray hard to God about it everyday day and night to make a way for you. God's way will be the best way for you to go.

Last edited by glenninindy; 07-01-2019 at 03:52 AM..

Old 07-01-2019, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
If you can't find a way now, be patient and Pray hard to God about it everyday day and night to make a way for you. God's way will be the best way for you to go.
Perhaps she should be asking your god why it has put her in the position she is in, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality