U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 08:26 PM

21,954 posts, read 22,094,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
. According to what I’ve read there is still pain and suffering in the Telestial kingdom.
Well then, you've evidently been reading the wrong stuff. There's a lot of nonsense out there, but you definitely won't find that description of the Telestial Kingdom on any LDS site. Furthermore, I'd say that when it comes to any specific Christian denomination, Mormonism has the most all-inclusive view of salvation of any of them.

Quote:
That’s fine to have your own personal truth but your personal truth is not right for the rest of the world, especially considering Mormonism is a religion founded by a human.
I've never tried to push my personal truth onto anybody else (as pretty much everybody on this forum will tell you). I would be among the first to admit that Mormonism isn't for everybody, but which religion, pray tell, was not founded by a human being?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 07:22 AM

367 posts, read 356,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well then, you've evidently been reading the wrong stuff. There's a lot of nonsense out there, but you definitely won't find that description of the Telestial Kingdom on any LDS site. Furthermore, I'd say that when it comes to any specific Christian denomination, Mormonism has the most all-inclusive view of salvation of any of them.

I've never tried to push my personal truth onto anybody else (as pretty much everybody on this forum will tell you). I would be among the first to admit that Mormonism isn't for everybody, but which religion, pray tell, was not founded by a human being?
Exactly, all religions are man made. They are just books, written by fallible human beings like ourselves, they were not written wholly and entirely, with all their parts, at the dictation of any God.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:34 AM

15,310 posts, read 10,332,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
And I'm sorry to say that 99% of them are pure hash, especially the ones coming from the Jesus-believing Fundamentalists like this one:

A NDE journey through hell with Eric Wilding. Warning, the video has dark content that may be frightening to children. (But they still feed this crap to children anyway).
Well...scamming the gullible is a damn sight easier than working for a living.

Quote:
I am not criticizing faith as a positive attitude.
What the hell do you see as 'positive' regarding 'faith'?

Taking a method that can be proven to be the most unreliable method of determining what is true (faith) - and using it to determine what is true, is lunacy beyond words.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:53 AM

4,410 posts, read 1,637,523 times
Quote:
Not many Agnostics compared to Christians.

Has the Islamic nation moved forward in every aspect? There are still many today that will kill for their beliefs.
Many people will kill, no matter what religion they believe in, or without any religious association.

Through out the human history, many many non-religions wars were also fought and God knows how many got killed.

No. There is no nation who has individually moved forward in all and every aspect.

And you would be enjoying a very rudimentary mental intellect if you want the entire world to become Agnostics because YOU think religion is fear based.

As human kind, we have various ways of thinking and looking at things differently among us.
We freely make all different kinds of choices. And having a faith is one of them.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:13 AM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Imo, the problem with this thinking is that it devalues this finite life we have. Also, as a former Christian, I didn’t really like the idea of being told I was a worthless sinner who achieved nothing personally and that I owed the church 10% of my earnings. I especially didn’t like constantly questioning my salvation and fearing eternal torment. This is just a fraction of the cost of the “maybe” afterlife.
Gah. The bolded is the part that got to me, too. I grew up with that type of religious teaching and dumped it when I hit adulthood. It's sad and damaging. Fortunately, not all forms of Christianity believe that way.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:00 AM

4,410 posts, read 1,637,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Imo, the problem with this thinking is that it devalues this finite life we have. Also, as a former Christian, I didn’t really like the idea of being told I was a worthless sinner who achieved nothing personally and that I owed the church 10% of my earnings. I especially didn’t like constantly questioning my salvation and fearing eternal torment. This is just a fraction of the cost of the “maybe” afterlife.
So the bold part - it perhaps refers to Christianity in specific (and a sub branch within) and it cannot be used to represent "ALL RELIGIONS", as OP is trying to make it sound like.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:58 PM

13,450 posts, read 4,976,974 times
Quote:
"Religion is based primarily and mainly upon fear. It is partly the terror of the unknown and partly the wish to feel that you have a kind of elder brother who will stand by you in all your troubles and disputes. Fear is the basis of the whole thing – fear of the mysterious, fear of defeat, fear of death. Fear is the parent of cruelty, and therefore it is no wonder if cruelty and religion have gone hand in hand. It is because fear is at the basis of those two things."- Bertrand
Its primary reason isn't fear anymore than "laws" primary reason is to scare people.

yes, its a component that most of us need. I won't kill a person for personal gain, I don't need a law for that. I won't text and drive, I don't need a law for that.

I will speed a lot more often if I didn't fear a ticket, tho.

so, the fear part is necessary for humans. But like all laws some people take them way to far. "eternal hell" , as in eternal torture" isn't rational under any circumstance.

its just the way it is. when you can show me human don't need it I'll change my mind.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:38 PM

121 posts, read 20,202 times
Yes. Why is it not obvious. There are two options heaven or hell.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:39 PM

22,437 posts, read 10,385,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Oh It's Magic View Post
Yes. Why is it not obvious. There are two options heaven or hell.
Or neither.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:52 PM
Status: "Summertime, and the living's easy" (set 19 days ago)

2,047 posts, read 581,316 times
Is religion fear based?

Short answer, yes. Without fear, religion likely wouldn't exist, or at the very least, wouldn't exist in its current form. Religion was mans answer to questions they couldn't answer. Most of those questions were fear based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality