U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 01:16 PM

39,062 posts, read 10,837,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Twice, as a kid, I saw things I don't have an explanation for.

At about four years of age I sat playing with my three year old brother on the living room floor. The house I grew up in was in the middle of a rural farming area in Minnesota. It's really small and old, built in the late 1890s. Somewhere along the way someone decided to bump out a window and it created a small space about 2 feet by 5 feet wide. Later my parents built in a toy box with a seat on top but at the time there was nothing there. I saw a white dog/wolf walk in from one side of the extended wall and out through the other. It never looked over or anything like that. It was just walking and it seemed to be unaware there was a wall, a house, or people where he was walking. I looked over at my brother and he hadn't noticed it. My mind made up an explanation that the dog was walking in a group with other dogs and people at a different time when the house wasn't there. I didn't know if it was in the past or the future.

The second time I would have been about eight. That important because I have extremely myopic(shut up Jimmie) and I didn't get glasses until nine so it's hard to tell the details of what I saw because is all I can see without my glasses are blurs. By this time my mom had put there fear of demons in me. They were everywhere and they were highly interested in me because we had The Truth. I don't know how I woke up but I remember seeing three green orbs floating inside my room and the far end. They were near a window and were moving like someone carry a flashlight through the woods in the dark. I didn't sense evil or anything but I became terrified. I hid under the covers for I don't know how long, I may have dozed off. I was drenched in sweat when I finally decided to throw back the covers and make a run for the downstairs. When I did that it stood up and it felt like someone threw ice water on me. I stood in shock for a second then ran out and slept the rest on the night on the couch. I didn't see anything in the room when I was running out. Never saw those lights again.
I have got to admit I am a sucker for 'Mysteries'. I listen and say "I have no real explanation for that". That's fine. I'm willing to admit a whole truckload of unexplained stuff. I just stop when someone wants to explain what it is.

"Demons"
"Flying saucer pilots"
"Ghosts".

I ask why I should believe that it's any one of those?

"What else could it be?"

A lot of other things that are as yet unknown. 'Don't know' rather than whatever 'answer' one wants to make up is always the better option. I know people would prefer any sort of answer rather than None, but when you get used to it, 'Don't know - yet' is actually fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 01:20 PM

22,477 posts, read 10,408,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I assume it comes down to the gut feeling you have when something like this is going on, after all, an angel could manifest into literally anything it wanted, the bible has plenty of times when angels disguise themselves as regular human men, other times, talking animals, and possibly even 25ft tall giants! (as far as anyone knows, the giants could have just been angels manifesting into that form...for some purpose).
Oh my.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:54 PM

15,377 posts, read 12,129,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Oh my.
Not many relate to 25 ' giraffes.
Me ?
Give me a beautiful angelic woman, oozing love with a shiny aura any day....rainbow sparkles
of stardust falling on me from heavenly realms helps...filling my lungs with Divine Love each breath...
oh, that was 1991 for me.
(Ha, no drugs.)

Old 07-07-2019, 03:17 PM

10,538 posts, read 15,593,251 times
"Don't know" is a terrible answer to live with.
It instills fear. As nothing is more scary than something one does not understand and does not have rational explanation for.
That's part of the reason why "rational science" is so popular and easy to acquire, as it always caters a plausible explanation. Even if it's totally ridiculous "in your face" - it is still better accepted, than "don't know" one.
Mind clings to it. Mind can't exist in uncertainty. Mind will see a man, sitting in deep meditation under a bodhi tree for years. Mind has no way to KNOW what is going inside that man. What he is experiencing. It' appears to be just a sitting man, eyes closed. It is much easier for mind to accept "charlatan", "crazy" or else, rational label, than to fall down and touch feet of the Saint.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:38 PM

13,493 posts, read 4,993,580 times
fear is the mind killer.

and it doesn't mind killing either.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:43 PM

13,493 posts, read 4,993,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Twice, as a kid, I saw things I don't have an explanation for.

At about four years of age I sat playing with my three year old brother on the living room floor. The house I grew up in was in the middle of a rural farming area in Minnesota. It's really small and old, built in the late 1890s. Somewhere along the way someone decided to bump out a window and it created a small space about 2 feet by 5 feet wide. Later my parents built in a toy box with a seat on top but at the time there was nothing there. I saw a white dog/wolf walk in from one side of the extended wall and out through the other. It never looked over or anything like that. It was just walking and it seemed to be unaware there was a wall, a house, or people where he was walking. I looked over at my brother and he hadn't noticed it. My mind made up an explanation that the dog was walking in a group with other dogs and people at a different time when the house wasn't there. I didn't know if it was in the past or the future.

The second time I would have been about eight. That important because I have extremely myopic(shut up Jimmie) and I didn't get glasses until nine so it's hard to tell the details of what I saw because is all I can see without my glasses are blurs. By this time my mom had put there fear of demons in me. They were everywhere and they were highly interested in me because we had The Truth. I don't know how I woke up but I remember seeing three green orbs floating inside my room and the far end. They were near a window and were moving like someone carry a flashlight through the woods in the dark. I didn't sense evil or anything but I became terrified. I hid under the covers for I don't know how long, I may have dozed off. I was drenched in sweat when I finally decided to throw back the covers and make a run for the downstairs. When I did that it stood up and it felt like someone threw ice water on me. I stood in shock for a second then ran out and slept the rest on the night on the couch. I didn't see anything in the room when I was running out. Never saw those lights again.
twice, as a kid ... explains everything.

My kid needed the light on at night. I told him something like your thoughts are as real as you make them.

the next night he had the light off and I asked him why?

he said you told me my thoughts are only as real as I make them.

hes older now and now we talk about how to determine what thoughts are "more valid" vs "less valid" based on what we and others see. of course, that kind of thinking is going to cause him trouble so I remind him that he can only do the next right thing. He can't control others. we use whats going on at the boarder as example of how insane people are on both sides.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:22 PM

6,338 posts, read 2,120,972 times
Quote:
When you say you felt like it threw ice water on you, was it just a mental feeling or were you actually drenched physically with water?
A feeling. I was already drenched in sweat from hiding under the covers in the heat. When I took off the covers and stood up it was all very quickly and the difference in air temperature was a shock. We had been to an amusement park earlier that day and it's possible I picked up a virus or parasite there and raising my core temp killed it off and produced a hallucination. I didn't see the lights when I put the covers over my head though so I wonder how good of an explanation that really is. I wish my mom hadn't contaminated my mind with the demon stuff because whatever it was didn't intend to harm me. The lights actually seemed playful. It would have been nice if I wasn't afraid and had been able to go see what it was.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:28 PM

7,235 posts, read 6,581,911 times
Quote:
Just curious if anyone has ever seen anything manifest into the physical world, like an angel,demon, other, or has ever heard of someone seeing something like this?

(Im not talking about seeing a ghost or something you think may be a ghost).

I've seen solid objects manifest but not entities.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I have got to admit I am a sucker for 'Mysteries'. I listen and say "I have no real explanation for that". That's fine. I'm willing to admit a whole truckload of unexplained stuff. I just stop when someone wants to explain what it is.

"Demons"
"Flying saucer pilots"
"Ghosts".

I ask why I should believe that it's any one of those?

"What else could it be?"

A lot of other things that are as yet unknown. 'Don't know' rather than whatever 'answer' one wants to make up is always the better option. I know people would prefer any sort of answer rather than None, but when you get used to it, 'Don't know - yet' is actually fine.
I think we atheists have a different way of looking at things than believers. No matter how much the phenom appears to point to a spirit dimensions I default to "there must be a rational explanation."

With the white dog I could have been as young as 2 when it happened. I probably was 2 but people keep claiming a person can't remember that young. I came up with a whole scene in my mind pretty quickly with the dog walking on the outer edge in the middle of the group and only he was far enough over to come through the house. My theory is that I saw something on TV and later that memory flashed into consciousness. I think, with that incident, my wires got crossed because I was so young.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
twice, as a kid ... explains everything.

My kid needed the light on at night. I told him something like your thoughts are as real as you make them.

the next night he had the light off and I asked him why?

he said you told me my thoughts are only as real as I make them.

hes older now and now we talk about how to determine what thoughts are "more valid" vs "less valid" based on what we and others see. of course, that kind of thinking is going to cause him trouble so I remind him that he can only do the next right thing. He can't control others. we use whats going on at the boarder as example of how insane people are on both sides.
Yeah, it would have been nice to have a parent say that to me. With my mom everything was demons, demons, demons!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality