U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 04:48 AM

10,574 posts, read 12,750,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
You don't know what a Pharisee is.
Sorry. I forgot that atheists had their own versions of biblical ideas. My bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 04:52 AM

13,493 posts, read 5,004,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I would have to agree with part.

jesus condemned anybody that was using a religion to protect or oppress when it goes against common sense.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:23 AM

12,709 posts, read 14,089,349 times
Quote:
They are Pharisees. Condemned by Jesus.

What's the point of this thread?
Yes to the statement.

But the point of the thread would seem to be that this has not made a difference to many Christians.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:22 AM

5,112 posts, read 948,480 times
Quote:
And that is why there are different sects of Christianity!

Old 07-09-2019, 06:53 AM

13,493 posts, read 5,004,197 times
Quote:
and different sects of atheism too, right? some sects of Christianity can coexist with some sects of atheism. I think you lump us all under the same flag sometimes.

I mean, there are no formal sects but we differ enough that the word can apply so we can move on past

"we so what, we look religious at times. How does that justify a dude died and rised for our sins? literally."

Old Today, 05:41 AM

39,168 posts, read 10,865,034 times
Quote:
Yes, based on historical records, not the prejudices of Christian Gospel-writers. However, the point (picked up by posters above) is that this condemns Christianity and the people who support it because they tolerate and excuse these 'Pharisees' (I Really dislike using that term as a pejorative) because they want to pretend to themselves and others that their creed is without fault or flaw.

Old Today, 06:06 AM

56,142 posts, read 54,613,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes, based on historical records, not the prejudices of Christian Gospel-writers. However, the point (picked up by posters above) is that this condemns Christianity and the people who support it because they tolerate and excuse these 'Pharisees' (I Really dislike using that term as a pejorative) because they want to pretend to themselves and others that their creed is without fault or flaw.
Neither do I. It's not a synonym for "hypocrite", but that's how it is used.

Old Today, 06:54 AM

5,112 posts, read 948,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The irony is that Christians sometimes use it despite the teachings of Jesus in the gospels are often closer to the beliefs of the Pharisees than they are to the other sects of Judaism such as the Sadducees.

Old Today, 09:43 AM

39,168 posts, read 10,865,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
One day, I suspect that it will be banned as hate speech directed at Judaism. Unwittingly, and probably without malice, no doubt, but based on a hostile Christian view of the Pharisees. I really do dislike the way it's used. i cringe even at 'Judas' who - even if you take the representation in the Gospels as true, was necessary for salvation to work. Jesus himself is shown as slapping Simon-Peter down for saying that he should never go to the cross.

I wonder if the Christians- even up to to the very top - really have thought their own theology through.

Old Today, 04:41 PM

10,574 posts, read 12,750,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
One day, I suspect that it will be banned as hate speech directed at Judaism. Unwittingly, and probably without malice, no doubt, but based on a hostile Christian view of the Pharisees. I really do dislike the way it's used. i cringe even at 'Judas' who - even if you take the representation in the Gospels as true, was necessary for salvation to work. Jesus himself is shown as slapping Simon-Peter down for saying that he should never go to the cross.

I wonder if the Christians- even up to to the very top - really have thought their own theology through.
It's really not even directed at the original Jewish Pharisees anymore. It's directed at any legalistic person, including Christians. In fact, I would say that legalistic Christians are the true Pharisees today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or