U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 12:34 PM

1,390 posts, read 495,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
What you explain is important to note and duly noted, though I can't say I was not aware of what you are explaining here...

Very simply, would you agree I am mostly correct to believe there is really no other word to describe dislike of a group of people like the word antiSemitism is used today with Jewish people? (Regardless how it came about). Not sure, but it seems you are confirming my belief along those lines. Ironic too would you also not agree that despite all you explain, Jewish people seem most apt to use the word very often, sometimes with good argument the accusation is justified. A little too often not really in my opinion.

My wife and I recently began watching a show we really enjoy, called "The Amazing Mrs. Maisel," and just last night's episode included the father of the Jewish family accusing someone of being an antiSemite. For a misnomer, the word sure does get a lot of air time these days. Again or another reason I got to wondering if there was such a word used to describe the dislike of any other group of people.

Seems the answer is no and as such rather unique.
Well, there is this.

As to the question of whether I would agree that it is ironic that Jewish people use the term. No, I would not agree. If, statistically, you can assign the use more often to Jews, it might be because groups can label the sentiment against themselves most acutely and accurately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 12:41 PM

12,710 posts, read 3,222,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Misogynist also has narrowly-defined parameters.
A dislike of all women is not exactly "narrowly-defined" in the way antiSemitism is generally understood to be with respect to Jewish people only. Again, of course there are words like racism and others that are similar in nature, but anything quite like the word antiSemtism directed toward Jewish people, or with regard to any other religion or following, not really far as I know. If I am right about this, of course, the question as to why tends to follow, but time for me to sign off now, so perhaps for another day...

Old 07-10-2019, 12:51 PM

12,710 posts, read 3,222,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Well, there is this.

As to the question of whether I would agree that it is ironic that Jewish people use the term. No, I would not agree. If, statistically, you can assign the use more often to Jews, it might be because groups can label the sentiment against themselves most acutely and accurately.
Well..., okay, but honestly, when is the last time you heard the term Anti-Catholicism? As compared to antiSemitism these days?

Statistically, I would say it is general human nature to dismiss legitimate criticism about ourselves for reasons not always so objective, acute or accurate. That's not just Jewish people of course. That's most all of us, but the accuracy or correctness of such claims and the motive is another matter entirely, best considered with specifics I think...

As to cause, you provided a link with lots of information I had also looked at before starting this thread. I had another look at it and was wondering your take on the following:

"Causes

Antisemitism has been explained in terms of racism, xenophobia, projected guilt, displaced aggression, and the search for a scapegoat. Some explanations assign partial blame to the perception of Jewish people as unsociable. Such a perception may have arisen by many Jews having strictly kept to their own communities, with their own practices and laws."

Thoughts?

Old 07-10-2019, 12:53 PM

5,948 posts, read 1,701,090 times
The term "phobia" is usually used. It means an unreasonable fear of, but it's often used to disdainfully refer to anyone that disagrees with something.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:01 PM

14,802 posts, read 4,968,434 times
i
Quote:
I've been pondering this question for awhile now, and I've yet to arrive at an answer other than "no." Wondering can that be true and if so, why?

Mormons were persecuted for example, but is there a term that describes people who harbor negative feelings about Mormons? Or Muslims? Not sure Islamophobia is the same or as unique. Lots of similar phobias, but antiSemitism is quite unique by comparison. AntiBuddhists? AntiChristians? AntiTibetans? Of course there is "racism" too, but is there any other term similar to antiSemitism related to any other religion or group?

Note: I am not an antiSemite by any means, and I'm not inviting any comments or sentiments along those lines. I am simply curious about how such a unique term came to be or whether there are other terms that similarly describe people who have general negative feeling about other people.
There is big difference between average racism and anti-Semitism, and there is no other racism to compare anti -semitism to, it is just not the same, it's racism designed upon race through religion, a religion with many races, it is designed against a religion where other religions that have stemmed from Judaism, are racists against Jews because Jews are the only people in history to keep the ways of God. They are persecuted and killed for no other reason than that they follow God. Millions of people in other religions that stemmed from Jews and Judaism all claiming the inheritance only given to Israel, it is quite unique.

You can be in any other race as a Christian, or a Muslim, and both Christian and Mulsim are anti Semitic against the people of God who are trying to claim the city of God that belongs to Judah, millions of people from other religons hating Jews and claiming the inheritance that only falls to Jews.

The whole world against the chosen people, and not just because they are haters of the followers of God, but that they are jealous and envious of the chosens promises and inheritence to the point of the whole world actually claiming to be Judah's replacement.

Muslims claim the inheritance through Ishmael, they claim to be the real deal who inherit the the promises only spoken to the seed of Isaac.

Millions of Christians claiming to be the real Jew, and the real heir of Jerusalem and all the promises only spoken to Judah.

While some racists hate white men, they aren't claiming some inheritance offered by God when they keep the ways of God. Some people hate Hispanics, but not because they are claiming to be Hispanics.

Catholics who hate Jews are claiming to have replaced Jews and are claiming an inheritance only given to Jews.

Mormons who hate Jews who are claiming to be a replacement for Jews and who are claiming an inheritance only given to Jews.

Protestants who hate Jews and who are claiming to have replaced Jews, and who are claiming the inhertence of Jews.

Black Hebrews who hate Jews, and who are claiming to have replaced Jews, and who are claiming the inheritance only given to Jews.

Mulsims who hate Jews, and who are claiming to have replaced Jews, and who are claiming the inheritance only given to Jews.

The whole world and all racists against Jews because God demanded the Jew to keep his commandments, and to recieve his promised inheritance because the Jews are the only people in history from all races and all religions that actually follow God and his ways, and all others claiming to have replaced Jews and that they think that they are to inherit all the promises only given to Jews.

No other people of no other religion and race has been hated, persecuted, chased and killed by the whole world for so long because they do what God demanded them to do.

There are no other people to compare the Jews to, they are extreemly unique and no other religion or people have a comparison to what and who Judah is.

The Mulsims and all types of Christians and who hate Jews, their hate stems from envy and jealousy, and if the Jew hates the Christian or the Mulsim, they would be both hated by the Jew, because both the Muslim and the Christian is jealous and full of envy against the Jew. There is no comparison, the Muslim and the Christian say they are the real Jew, the real son of Abraham, and the Jew just wants to live and breath to do what God demanded them to do, while Christians and Mulsims claim the inheritance of Judah, of Jerusalem, and neither are willing to do what it takes to be a co-heir, if there was an invitation in the first place.

The New Testament claims that a Gentile could become a co-heir, but that is not what a Christian is today, they are not co heirs with Jews, and they are no longer grafted and adopted into Ephraim or Judah and yet everyday they claim the inheritance only given to Ephraim and Judah

The whole world hates the Jews of Judaism out of jealousy and envy because they are claiming and inheritance only given to the true Jew, when they are not Jews , and this was going on in Jesus day, and before Jesus ever came.

The ten tribes of Israel claimed all the inheritance made to Isaac and Jacob, but they were so jealous and full of envy because they wanted their own kingdom in order to remain separate from the Jews as to not lose their kingdom.

The Kingdom and nation of Ephraim called,'' The ten lost tribes,'' they called the ways of God a strange thing and they began keeping Easter and the high Holy solstice almost a thousand years before Jesus was born.

The Northern kingdom of Israel known as,'' Israel/Ephraim/Ten lost tribes/Joseph,'' They were so jealous and envious against the nation of Judah that they allied with Assyria and Egypt time and time again because of their envy, and because they claimed to be the real deal, the only true Israel, but what a person does, it is that thing that makes a person Israel, and or, an heir or co-heir to any inheritance in Israel.

Their jealousy and envy caused them to call the Torah a strange thing because they knew that if they actually folowed what God has demanded them to follow, that they would certainly lose their people and their separate nation because all the people of the Northern kingdom would have went up to Jerusalem 3 times a year, and all would end up as one kingdom with one king, and because of their jealousy and envy, they rejected the Torah, and from that day, they began to become,'' GENTILES.''

Because of their jealousy and envy, God ended their kingdom that lasted 300 years, all the while they were saying,'' WE ARE THE TRUE JEW.''

Then God had the king of Assyria come into the Northern kingdom to take all of the ten tribes to other nations, and they became lost, BUT SEEDED into all Gentile nation as the plan of God was designed to do, that he took those ten tribes and seeded them for a future harvest.

Then God had the king of Assyria bring Babylonians and Egyptians who were sons of Ishmael and Easu, and that great king filled the empty houses of the nation of Ephraim, and he filled Israel with the sons of Ishmael and Esau

But these new comers didn't know the God of Israel and lions came out attacking them, and so these foriegners to Israel wrote letters to the great king of Assyria that he should have a priest brought back from the ten lost tribes that the former priest of Israel would teach them the ways of the God of Israel.

UNFORUNATELY, The priest which was brought back from the lost ten tribes was a lawless pagan full of jealousy and envy against Judah and Judaism.

God had the King of Assyria doing something on an extreemly epic scale, that he would gather the sons of Ishmael and Esau to fill the empty houses of Joseph, the ten lost tribes,'' Israel.''

And so 700 years before Jesus was born, now you had the sons of Ishmael and Esau claiming to be,'' THE NEW HOUSE OF ISRAEL/THE REAL DEAL.''

For 700 years before Jesus was born, these supposed new members of Israel were always claiming to be the true Israel, every single time it was of benifit, but if a king came around who hates Jews, those Samaritans would simply say,'' We are not with these people, see, the great king of Assyria had taken us from Babylon and Egypt and he placed us in these houses here in the land of Zebulun and Ephraim.''

For 700 years, those Samaritans were claiming to be the true Israel, the true Jew, and their's were the inheritance of Israel and all the promises of the book.

We see that woman at the well come up to Jesus lying through her teeth as they had done for 700 years.

The woman at the well said,'' Our father Jacob built this well.''

Her father was in no way,.. Jacob.......

She was telling the same lies they told for centuries, and there is 700 years of history writen on this fact, that when it was of benifit, they claimed to be,'' The New Israel.''

Now Christianity would come, and this Christianity is founded through a marriage to a Jew, that if you married a Jew, you would become one with Jews.

This only worked for a very brief time in history, a few decades of Gentiles marrying a Jew to become one with Judah under a covenant only given to the lost seed of the house of Israel named ,'' Ephraim.''

This meant that Gentiles were finally becoming Co-heirs with Judah BECAUSE they married into Judah, and BECAUSE they converted to the same religion as a Jew,'' Judaism.''

BECAUSE they conveted to Judaism, and because they accepted a promised betrothal to a Jew, there was no difference in Jew and the Gentile that married a Jew and converted to Judaism. A man converts to Judaism, has a family and raises them in Judaism, people are going to see a Jew.

Then came the Jewish war where it was very dangerous for a Gentile to do things that made him look Jewish.

100 years after Jesus died, Gentiles stopped converting, they stopped coming under the covenant Jesus had brought, and so now they fell under the Noahide covenant, not the covenant of Jesus.

Constantine comes allong and he repeats history, and history is always repeating itself, telling the same stories.

Constantine and those in power KNEW they would soon lose their kingdom, and they did EXACTLY what the first king of Israel had done, and exactly what the Samaritans had done for centuries.

They knew that if they let their people go up to keep the 3 main feasts of Jerusalem, that it would only be a matter of time before all their people reverted back to the authority of Judah.

Gentile believers making pilgrimages to Jerusalem Had to be STOPPED.

Now Christianity would do EXCATLY what the ten tribes had done for 300 years, for the same reason,'' Envy, and jealousy.''

Now Christianity would do EXACTLY what those Samaritans had done for over 8 centuries.

They rejected the holy days of God in rejecting anything that would make them appear Jewish, but now they claimed to be the real Jew, replacing Jews out of greed, envy, and jeslousy.

Christianity repeated the same things that every nation or people do, when they are placed next to the chosen people, they ALWAYS try to replace them, they always make BIZARRE RIDICULOUS CLAIMS THAT THEY HAVE NOW OBTAINED THE INHERITANCE ONLY PROMISED TO JEWS.

Now Mohammed would come up keeeping the worship system of God just like Christianity did in the beginning Mohammed came walking in Pesach, Shavuot, and Sukkot saying that he was the prophet spoken of in the scriptures.

UNFORTUNATELY, the Jews would not accept Mohammed, and so Mohammed did EXACTLY what Jeroboam had done, now he would do the EXACT thing the Samaritans had done for centuries, and now he would do the EXACT SAME THING AS CONSTANTINE, FOR THE EXACT SAME REASON,'' GREED, JEALOUSY, ENVY.''

All of these peoples, nations and religions claiming to be the real Jew, the real Israel, the real deal, and they all do this by persecuting and killing the only people in the world that actually follow what God has demanded them to follow for their inheritance, and so it is said,'' Ephraim against Mannesseh, and Mannesseh against Ephraim, and both against Judah.

So many people filled with greed, jealousy and envy because God has so many good things for his true followers, so much so that for thousands of years we have everyone who isn't a Jew, claiming to be a Jew, and or claiming the inheritance only given to Judah.

Revelation 2

I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and*I know*the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but*are*the synagogue of Satan.

Revelation 3

Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan,
  1. which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 07-10-2019 at 02:50 PM..

Old 07-10-2019, 02:07 PM

682 posts, read 150,191 times
Quote:
I've been pondering this question for awhile now, and I've yet to arrive at an answer other than "no." Wondering can that be true and if so, why?

Mormons were persecuted for example, but is there a term that describes people who harbor negative feelings about Mormons? Or Muslims? Not sure Islamophobia is the same or as unique. Lots of similar phobias, but antiSemitism is quite unique by comparison. AntiBuddhists? AntiChristians? AntiTibetans? Of course there is "racism" too, but is there any other term similar to antiSemitism related to any other religion or group?

Note: I am not an antiSemite by any means, and I'm not inviting any comments or sentiments along those lines. I am simply curious about how such a unique term came to be or whether there are other terms that similarly describe people who have general negative feeling about other people.
Languages occur organically. They are not methodically constructed (well, except for constructed languages, like Esperanto or Klingon, which none use functionally). So there's no particular reason to think there should be a vocabulary analog for the term 'antisemitism'. I mean, 'nonsensical' is a thing but 'sensical' isn't. German has the word 'schadenfreude', which had no English equivalent - it's now and English word, too, having been borrowed as English is wont to do. Language formation is freeform, especially in a language like English which has no equivalent of, say, the Académie française.

Further, when you consider the many centuries of systematic persecution of Jews, such as pogroms and expulsions and, obviously, the Holocaust, it's not really surprising. Seriously, that history comprises far more than the mere terms 'were persecuted' or 'harbor negative feelings about' properly convey. I 'harbor negative feelings' about rutabagas. Hitler 'harbored negative feelings' about the Jews. Both are true, but hardly the same. Furthermore, Jews are still around and antisemitism is still a thing (and on a bit of a upswing the past few years, it seems), while the genocidal orgy of the Holocaust is not all that far in the rear-view mirror. So it hardly seems a surprise that there's a particular term for anti-Jewish ideas and acts to that end. Words arise from need, and the English-speaking community has collectively determined that anti-Jewishness needs a particular word, while, say, anti-Aztecness or anti-Druidism don't need their own special terms.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:11 PM

14,802 posts, read 4,968,434 times
The whole world is filled with hate, jealousy and envy against Jews, but this thing goes way beyond hate if hou ask me.

It is a spirit, and that is my good opinion, anti Semitism is an evil spirit.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:58 PM

27,961 posts, read 15,050,737 times
Quote:

Islamists are Semitic...

Old 07-10-2019, 03:01 PM

39,056 posts, read 10,837,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The term "phobia" is usually used. It means an unreasonable fear of, but it's often used to disdainfully refer to anyone that disagrees with something.
Like "God -phobia"? I think you may have nailed it there.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:25 PM

10,538 posts, read 15,593,251 times
Jewish people seem most apt to use the word very often, most frequently. Sometimes with good argument the accusation is justified. A little too often not really in my opinion.

I see where it's headed. Why don't you just say so?
And btw, as you appear to be intelligent person. Antisemitism is stupid word. It works only for ignorant as Semites are a HUGE family of people, Arabs included.

Semites
  1. a member of any of the peoples who speak or spoke a Semitic language, including in particular the Jews and Arabs

Considering great "love" between the two, whoever coined that term, should have thought better. But then again, who really knows all the particularities of who Semites are, right? It will be, what it will be called, not what it means... Shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality