U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM

5,936 posts, read 2,289,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The weight of evidence heavily tips the scales in favor of Christianity and the Bible. So you only have to come up with enough counter weight evidence to tip the scales back in your favor. Good luck with that. Would kinda like be claiming that my parents are really alien beings even though all the evidence I've experienced says otherwise.
We can do DNA testing to show if your parents are humans or aliens. If someone claimed that your parents are space aliens I would not accept that unless it could be proven. A test of your DNA and that of your parents would disprove that claim. None of your lif experiences wold be required to access the claim.

THat a group of pelle ca me from Crete does not prove that Jesus is the Son of God.. Nor does it disproves it. The fact that my house is titled to me and my wife does not prove or disprove that your parents are aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

8,624 posts, read 3,838,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
We can do DNA testing to show if your parents are humans or aliens. If someone claimed that your parents are space aliens I would not accept that unless it could be proven. A test of your DNA and that of your parents would disprove that claim. None of your lif experiences wold be required to access the claim.

THat a group of pelle ca me from Crete does not prove that Jesus is the Son of God.. Nor does it disproves it. The fact that my house is titled to me and my wife does not prove or disprove that your parents are aliens.
It proves that the Bible is accurate in details. And the more and more layers of accuracy means you have to ask which is more likely that authors conspired over hundreds of years of human history to deceive everyone by creating a fake religion and history and somehow managed to have impressive knowledge like understanding the inner workings of foreign governments and the personalities of foreign rulers or that the Bible is true. And if the Bible is true then it becomes harder to dismiss the countless claims of miracle healing and supernatural encounters.

Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM

39,072 posts, read 10,842,814 times
It does nothing of the kind. It makes a lot of sweeping claims that often do not stand up to scrutiny. The picture of an enslaved Hebrew population in Egypt c 12th C. BC is refuted by archaeology.

Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM

8,624 posts, read 3,838,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It does nothing of the kind. It makes a lot of sweeping claims that often do not stand up to scrutiny. The picture of an enslaved Hebrew population in Egypt c 12th C. BC is refuted by archaeology.
Ironically, I throw your posting onto the log fire of evidence for Christianity. One has to question why a person as yourself would dedicate so much time and energy to studying the Bible and history to find ways to tear it down and try to rip apart people's faith on these forums immediately, daily and constantly especially if you believe that your time to exist is finite.

Thank you for proving the Bible true yet again:

The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. 1 Corinthians 2:14

Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

5,064 posts, read 940,916 times
Quote:
It proves that the Bible is accurate in details. And the more and more layers of accuracy means you have to ask which is more likely that authors conspired over hundreds of years of human history to deceive everyone by creating a fake religion and history and somehow managed to have impressive knowledge like understanding the inner workings of foreign governments and the personalities of foreign rulers or that the Bible is true. And if the Bible is true then it becomes harder to dismiss the countless claims of miracle healing and supernatural encounters.
You do not have that accuracy.

And who is talking about conspiracy and deception? The many versions of Judaism and Christianity evolved over a period of 1,000 years. The evidence is not only there in the bible, but in the archaeological record.

Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

9,006 posts, read 4,115,699 times
Quote:
https://www.christianheadlines.com/c...vsL2uGphL7uPKY

Also, the Biblical city of Ziklag was recently discovered. Course, a million finds that support the Biblical narrative won't change the minds of skeptics. The Bible is one of the most supported historical documents from that time period by external evidence and yet they regard it as a bunch of myths by ignorant farmers. Because they HAVE to.

If it cannot be proven that

A) the entire world was flooded 4000-4500 years ago and all living things drowned save for a man, his family, and two of every species
B) Jesus Christ existed, was crucified under Pontius Pilate, and rose from the dead three days later
C) The Apostle Paul was legitimate. This is important because most of the doctrine and theology that defines modern Christianity comes from the Apostle Paul. Christianity would look very different if we only had the four gospels.

then I cannot accept Christianity. I have no doubt that some stories in the Bible have elements of truth to them or are based on real events and real places. The existence of Ziklag doesn't have any effect on the three things I've listed above.

Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM

5,064 posts, read 940,916 times
Quote:

The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. 1 Corinthians 2:14
All cults have similar sayings. They must also be true then.

Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM

9,006 posts, read 4,115,699 times
Quote:

Proving that a city existed or that a certain king ruled is very different from proving that a flood occurred that raised sea level planetwide 5.498 miles only 4000 years ago or that the Apostle Paul legitimately saw Jesus Christ on the road to Damascus.

Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM

5,936 posts, read 2,289,994 times
Quote:
It does not matter how accurate the Bible is on mundane things. It could have twice as many place names correct would not make the God and miracles part any more true .

I don't know what it would take me to believe in a God, perhaps a personal experience like MysticPhD had or something entirely different. I am open to a possibility of their being a God however much less it being the Christian God because supposedly he is the same God as the God of the Jews and he is a horrible creature. And even if I was to believe in the God of the Bible , getting past both the creation story and the Global flood would be extremely difficult to believe that the Bible is the word of God and that everything in it is true. That would mean it would be impossible for me to become a fundamentalist Christian. A liberal Christian would be a little easier however to take the Bible as inspired by God and a framework for morality would mean it I would have to be able to get over slavery, the poor treatment of women, rape, denouncement of homosexuality in order to believe that.

So Jeff until something convicts me that thete is a God and he is your God, knowing that the Bible mentions something that may have been common knowledge at the time the oral stories were begun will not convince me that your Bible is accurate.

DNA also supports the theory of evolution. A theory very well supported by evidence that you call a lie. And you accept creationism and global flood that go against all credible evidence. You obviouslybelieve everything in the Bible, evidence or no evidence. No reason for you to expect us to belie vein it bas ed on a very mundane aspet if it..

Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM

22,486 posts, read 10,408,804 times
Quote:
Ironically, I throw your posting onto the log fire of evidence for Christianity. One has to question why a person as yourself would dedicate so much time and energy to studying the Bible and history to find ways to tear it down and try to rip apart people's faith on these forums immediately, daily and constantly especially if you believe that your time to exist is finite.

One has to question why you proselytize so much to people who aren't interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality