U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM
 
685 posts, read 151,552 times
Reputation: 2380

Advertisements

Jeff proves once again that fundamentalism is indistinguishable from wry satire...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM
Status: "Smacking fundies." (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
25,813 posts, read 13,417,575 times
Reputation: 11675
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
One has to question why you proselytize so much to people who aren't interested.
Because eventually they get annoyed with him and say something he declares to be insulting and hence he can draw the persecution card and Jesus said his sheep would be hated therefore the bible is factually true and he gets to go to heaven and we don't.

In a nutshell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
 
5 posts, read 440 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
There really are places called Oklahoma and California. I know -- I've been to both. The Dust Bowl actually happened, so did the Great Depression, and there really was a great migration of poor farm laborers (called Okies) to the Central Valley, often following Route 66, a real road. These things are attested by archaeology, as well as photographic, written, and oral histories.

According to Jeff's logic, this proves that Tom Joad was a real person and that The Grapes of Wrath is actual history.

Exactly, along the same lines since the US Civil War happened and Atlanta was burned, Gone with the Wind must be 100% accurate, Rhett really didn't give a damn and Tara was an actual plantation.


Or, since Los Angeles is a real place and we have video evidence that Terminators will strike there first, John Connor really will save us all in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM
 
11,244 posts, read 11,265,004 times
Reputation: 3449
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
In other words, nothing will convince you. Why even have the field of Bible archaeology since you just wrote it off as definitive myth?

Jeff, what exactly is it you're trying to convince us of? That the Bible contains some historical facts? You've done it. Actually history has done it for us a long time ago. But try to convince us that 3 million Hebrews left Egypt and trekked across the Sinai when a period that is well documented in Egyptian history doesn't give us the slightest clue they did, if they were even there in such great numbers??????


The Jewish scholars in captivity in Babylon were doing what all cultures in bondage after bondage were doing: writing great epics of their fictional glories of days long past to give their people hope to carry on. "Don't give up, guys. You're from a great people. Your king was David. His son was Solomon, the wisest man who ever lived. You have a lot to be proud of so don't give up hope. We're the master race, by golly. Every dog has his day. Ours is coming."


Then they were conquered and wiped out by the Romans in 70 CE. Special people chosen by God indeed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
8,955 posts, read 8,406,922 times
Reputation: 15556
Jeff,

I completely agree that the Bible presents an absolutely convincing case that it was set a few thousand years ago in the area that is modern day Israel. Anybody arguing against this is a fool.

Now that we agree on that, please go ahead and choose one thing in addition to time and place and prove it to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
 
8,624 posts, read 3,838,658 times
Reputation: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by doit1moretime View Post
Exactly, along the same lines since the US Civil War happened and Atlanta was burned, Gone with the Wind must be 100% accurate, Rhett really didn't give a damn and Tara was an actual plantation.


Or, since Los Angeles is a real place and we have video evidence that Terminators will strike there first, John Connor really will save us all in the future.
Well I guess we need to regard all recorded history as works of fiction then since archaeology is useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM
 
8,624 posts, read 3,838,658 times
Reputation: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Jeff, what exactly is it you're trying to convince us of? That the Bible contains some historical facts? You've done it. Actually history has done it for us a long time ago. But try to convince us that 3 million Hebrews left Egypt and trekked across the Sinai when a period that is well documented in Egyptian history doesn't give us the slightest clue they did, if they were even there in such great numbers??????
Funny how skeptics will dismiss archaeology when it proves the Bible yet point to the lack of archaeology as proof that the Exodus is fiction. Lack of evidence is not evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM
 
5,936 posts, read 2,289,994 times
Reputation: 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Funny how skeptics will dismiss archaeology when it proves the Bible yet point to the lack of archaeology as proof that the Exodus is fiction. Lack of evidence is not evidence.
Except archeology did not prove the Bible. All you did was claim that a fact in the Bible is true. We give that to you. You are now arguing against a strawman. Geology and gravity shows that the global flood did not occur. Do you no longer believe in the B8ble?

Others were trying to show you that proving a place exists does not prove that the book is accurate.

The Vineland Saga has been proven that facts within it are true. Do you now believe that the saga is accurate? Do you believe in the gods and monsters in the sags?

And history books do need to be looked at critically. I don't know if Laura Secord did all that people claim she did in helping defeat the invading American army, I suspect some was embellished. And according to history books the Americans were defeated or won the war depending on who wrote them. We know that the history of battles against natives have had to be rewritten as less bias information as emerged.

Unless you are willing to admit that the findings at Aux let Meadows proves the Norse Sagas and God's as true don't expect anyone else to accept the Bible and your God on no greater evidence. The Sagas began as oral histories retelling the peopke, events and works of the Gods and written does later. Real people, places and events are historical.I do not understand why you dismiss one but not the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM
 
5,936 posts, read 2,289,994 times
Reputation: 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Funny how skeptics will dismiss archaeology when it proves the Bible yet point to the lack of archaeology as proof that the Exodus is fiction. Lack of evidence is not evidence.
You are wrong, lack of evidence means you should without belief until evidence is found. Going back to the Vineland Sagas many scholars did not believe the Vineland Sagas until around 1964 when a Norse settlement was discovered in NW Newfoundland. Now with evidence almost every scholar believes in them being accurate as far as times and olaces. And yet the story of Exodus involves thousand of time more people for a longer period of time and more people looking for evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
8,955 posts, read 8,406,922 times
Reputation: 15556
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well I guess we need to regard all recorded history as works of fiction then since archaeology is useless.
Don't be this silly. Of course archaeology is not useless, but its usefulness is limited in scope.

Archaeological evidence can show us that an area was inhabited, how large the city may have been, if trade goods were found we would have evidence of their economic sphere, what kind of items were manufactured, level of technology, etc.

It can tell us that no evidence of tens of thousands of Jews wandering in the desert for decades has ever been found.

It tells us nothing about the details of what inhabitants said or did on a particular day. It cannot tell us if one man walked on water in one afternoon. It cannot tell us if 5000 people ate a total of 5 loaves and three fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top