Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2019, 11:56 AM

29,335 posts, read 9,500,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
I don't equate atheism with skepticism simply because not all atheists are skeptics, even with regard to that one claim. If Ozzy used the word 'atheist' in his statement, I'd have no comment beyond the subject of its meaningless generalisation.
Not sure I do either, though I will admit to something of a Missouri manner when it comes to considering what doesn't make sense to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You are playing the Stalin card. or the french terror. Religion has done far more harm than that and is still doing so. Atheism is no more likely to do a Terror or throw up a Stalin than religion is going to throw up a crusade or a mad leader...

No, scrap that
Some comments are best left alone while others might be inclined to report such comments to moderators, because they are nothing but "drive-by" insults hardly worth the time pecking them out. I find getting moderators involved as if we need baby-sitters very childish (and mostly a waste of their time). I've also never once used the ignore feather. I don't need such a feature to ignore comments any more than I need blinders to keep from looking at something...

Last edited by LearnMe; 07-24-2019 at 12:34 PM..

Old 07-24-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Isn't that name calling? Not cool.
But why I'm writing is WHY would you open a can of worms regarding the good Christianity has brought...
when even a Christian could make a list of so much bad stuff?!
Is. No it's not, and it's because all too many people, especially religious people, can't think objectively about differing opinion. Most can at least remain mature and civil about their lack of objectivity however...

Old 07-24-2019, 12:11 PM

1,456 posts, read 509,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Not sure I do either, though I will admit to something of a Missouri manner when it comes to considering what doesn't make sense to me...
Pardon my ignorance (I'm not from the US) but what's 'a Missouri manner'? I've noticed quite a few quirks described in association with different states but this one's new to me.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I honestly think you are overthinking it.

Atheism is simply a lack of belief in god(s), nothing more nothing less. It has no other inherent characteristics, like rationality, logic, or any other. It's just a privative. I'm not saying you can't build a philosophical platform on it but all those new distinctions would be auxiliary properties and not the immutable characteristic of atheism, of which there is only one - a lack of belief in god(s).
Interesting if not good point...

If there is a place to "overthink" something, I suppose this might be the place, or is it the other way around? Is it that most people underthink these questions and issues?

Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in gods.

Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

Older dictionaries define atheism as “a belief that there is no God.†Clearly, theistic influence taints these definitions. The fact that dictionaries define Atheism as “there is no God†betrays the (mono)theistic influence. Without the (mono)theistic influence, the definition would at least read “there are no gods.â€

https://www.atheists.org/activism/re...about-atheism/

Old 07-24-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance (I'm not from the US) but what's 'a Missouri manner'? I've noticed quite a few quirks described in association with different states but this one's new to me.
Really? Where are you from?

What I was referring to is fairly well known in America I think, but to be honest, I was hoping there might be at least one person not familiar with the term or...

Why Is Missouri Called the "Show-Me" State?

https://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/history/slogan.asp

Old 07-24-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Interesting if not good point...

If there is a place to "overthink" something, I suppose this might be the place, or is it the other way around? Is it that most people underthink these questions and issues?

Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in gods.

Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

Older dictionaries define atheism as “a belief that there is no God.” Clearly, theistic influence taints these definitions. The fact that dictionaries define Atheism as “there is no God” betrays the (mono)theistic influence. Without the (mono)theistic influence, the definition would at least read “there are no gods.”

https://www.atheists.org/activism/re...about-atheism/
The funny thing is, I don't even think any of those definitions could be dismissed once they're out in the public domain, this is how language and culture evolves - we redefine things. Having said this, if any middle ground is to be established we have to agree that, whatever definition one uses, we are talking about the same class of thing. This means finding where all these definitions meet, i.e. their common denominator, and lack of belief appears to be that thing.

With that out of the way, I honestly don't think any such agreement could be found amongst atheists, which is why I tend to take a more personal approach when it comes to disagreements - you tell me what you mean and I'll tell you where I stand on it.

You clearly find etymology of the term of some interest so I thought you might also enjoy this (which ironically contains at least one definition of atheism that wouldn't meet the common denominator criteria.)

The Project Gutenberg EBook of Atheism in Pagan Antiquity by A. B. Drachmann

Old 07-24-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Really? Where are you from?

What I was referring to is fairly well known in America I think, but to be honest, I was hoping there might be at least one person not familiar with the term or...

Why Is Missouri Called the "Show-Me" State?

https://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/history/slogan.asp
Oh, I'm from across the pond. Trans' neighbour, in a slightly round about way.

And that explanation was excellent! I'm loving the "and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me", describes me to a tee

Old 07-24-2019, 05:25 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,760,890 times
Quote:
Some comments are best left alone while others might be inclined to report such comments to moderators, because they are nothing but "drive-by" insults hardly worth the time pecking them out. I find getting moderators involved as if we need baby-sitters very childish (and mostly a waste of their time). I've also never once used the ignore feather. I don't need such a feature to ignore comments any more than I need blinders to keep from looking at something...
No one complains when Trans says "godsuckers". How do you feel about that.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:10 PM

50,143 posts, read 23,799,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
No one complains when Trans says "godsuckers". How do you feel about that.
Personally, although I generally like and agree with his posts, I think that's in poor taste. But then again your occasional implied references about the ultimate future of atheists is in poorer taste (and even in your own religion, above you pay grade).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality