U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2019, 09:38 AM
 
13,005 posts, read 3,296,429 times
Reputation: 1625

Advertisements

Interesting too I think...

"The psychology involved in winning over others has been studied and preached for generations and continues to evolve as our culture changes, as documented on the website Psychology Today, and many others. Aspiring entrepreneurs need to study all of these but also need to learn from the pragmatic practices and tactics of successful peers and business advisors."

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/269932

Hopefully this link works better too...

What's interesting is all one can consider with regard to why we believe what we do and then, really, why do we bother trying to change anyone's mind about any adult's fundamental beliefs given the impossible challenge?

Why We Believe What We Do...

I see all the effort in this forum, and I consider my own while always ending up in the same place...

Why DO we bother?

No one ever seems to have a good answer or explanation as to why any effort makes sense. How rational is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2019, 12:15 PM
 
Location: NY
4,019 posts, read 1,035,201 times
Reputation: 2354
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

Why DO we bother?

No one ever seems to have a good answer or explanation as to why any effort makes sense. How rational is that?


We are all on vacation called Life.
When vacation is over the real fun begins.....................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 10:19 AM
 
13,005 posts, read 3,296,429 times
Reputation: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
We are all on vacation called Life.
When vacation is over the real fun begins.....................
Reminds me a bit of another take or explanation related to religion. ALL the lyrics of "Ballad of a Thin Man." Have a look and tell me I'm wrong...

"Because something is happening here
But ya' don't know what it is"

https://genius.com/Bob-dylan-ballad-...hin-man-lyrics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 07:16 PM
 
Location: NY
4,019 posts, read 1,035,201 times
Reputation: 2354
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Reminds me a bit of another take or explanation related to religion. ALL the lyrics of "Ballad of a Thin Man." Have a look and tell me I'm wrong...

"Because something is happening here
But ya' don't know what it is"

https://genius.com/Bob-dylan-ballad-...hin-man-lyrics



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2019, 06:37 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,700 posts, read 12,277,195 times
Reputation: 16773
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
... as we bounce against one another like electrons in an atom with our different beliefs, notions and religions.
Only to correct any misconceptions for any young science students here...
not trying to derail the thread...but electrons don't bounce and esp not against one another.
They actually will never even touch or collide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2019, 07:44 AM
 
39,569 posts, read 11,034,201 times
Reputation: 5127
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Why DO we bother?
..
You mean why do atheists bother? Or why do other atheists bother?

either way,

Because the truth is always important

But mainly because of a perceived very real threat posed by organised religion in the US.

Now, you may very well ask what wrangling here on city -data will contribute to the wider campaign. And it's one i asked myself. But there are those who go on debates, write books, post videos, do Blogs. But it began with a few Atheist sites but mainly people arguing on Forums. And that's where a lot of us are. I hope that there is a bit of trickle-down of ideas. I see a lot of what was discussed (and won by atheists) here cropping up in videos, debates and TV shows. Maybe others come to the same conclusion independently. I only ever once hears City data religious discussion mentioned as worth looking at.

So, essentially, What we are doing is worth doing in itself. Whether it is actually achieving anything is still unknown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2019, 10:34 AM
 
13,005 posts, read 3,296,429 times
Reputation: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Only to correct any misconceptions for any young science students here...
not trying to derail the thread...but electrons don't bounce and esp not against one another.
They actually will never even touch or collide.
Love it! And honestly, I thought about the use of this analogy when I quickly decided to use it, but in all fairness...

Don't electrons actually repel one another? And as such is it really that incorrect to unscientifically describe their repulsion of one another as "bouncing against one another?"

And in the case of religions, is not the repelling and/or repulsion in all too many ways applicable and appropriate as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2019, 10:38 AM
 
13,005 posts, read 3,296,429 times
Reputation: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You mean why do atheists bother? Or why do other atheists bother?

either way,

Because the truth is always important

But mainly because of a perceived very real threat posed by organised religion in the US.

Now, you may very well ask what wrangling here on city -data will contribute to the wider campaign. And it's one i asked myself. But there are those who go on debates, write books, post videos, do Blogs. But it began with a few Atheist sites but mainly people arguing on Forums. And that's where a lot of us are. I hope that there is a bit of trickle-down of ideas. I see a lot of what was discussed (and won by atheists) here cropping up in videos, debates and TV shows. Maybe others come to the same conclusion independently. I only ever once hears City data religious discussion mentioned as worth looking at.

So, essentially, What we are doing is worth doing in itself. Whether it is actually achieving anything is still unknown.
I certainly agree "the truth is always important." Boy do I, and I suppose that belief is at least in part why I participate in this thread, but I think what I am really getting at with my question is whether any effort is worth the time and trouble when it comes to all you describe being presented to adults for whom all facts, reason and logic are no longer influencing their opinion? Instead, the confirmation bias for most adults is so profound, we simply consider ONLY the facts, reason and logic that supports our predetermined opinions.

So unless we're teaching children who's opinions are still in development stage, why do we adults bother with fellow adults?

This is what I mean by "why bother?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
237 posts, read 59,110 times
Reputation: 684
Here's another study, actually a meta-analysis of 63 studies, and I think some people won't like this analysis, but here it is:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/570...a4fe3c9c40.pdf

The simple conclusion: "...a negative association between intelligence and religiosity...," though they do offer a few opinions as to why those less intelligent tend to gravitate toward religion. Again, this is not my meta-analysis or my opinion; it's just one I read a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 03:55 PM
 
2,125 posts, read 896,556 times
Reputation: 5186
Link works.

I'm not sure it explains much though. Take a whole class of kids that went to Catholic school, received the sacraments, got married in the church, sent their kids for religious instruction. As they progress in life some are religious, some are anti religious and some are quasi religious. Some go to church, others don't.
I think that everyone gets to their own comfort level with religion. For some going to church is a comfort. For others praying at home and not going to church is a comfort. For some, being an atheist or an agnostic is their comfort level. In the end it is whatever works for the individual. It has nothing to do with intelligence or logic. If religion works for you, you keep it. If it doesn't you change it or discard it altogether.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I think this is a very interesting and important question for anyone and everyone to consider, as we bounce against one another like electrons in an atom with our different beliefs, notions and religions. Important because of the profound affect these notions have on all of us one way or another, directly or indirectly.

"What explains why some people are more religious than others?"

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ology-religion

I believe it is the understanding of the psychology and/or these dynamics that tends to help people "break away" from many an influence that is not always so worthy of adopting let alone promoting. That influence of parent on child and child with parent that determines to what extent we "break away" as a generation over time, one generation after another.

The psychology sure seems to be more about what's going on over the facts, reason and logic that religion tends to offer anyway.

"Through these presentations, it becomes quite obvious just how different people are in their approach to religion and spirituality, and it beckons us to consider why."

Sure does me anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top