U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 08:22 AM

13,005 posts, read 3,296,429 times

Advertisements

I think this is a very interesting and important question for anyone and everyone to consider, as we bounce against one another like electrons in an atom with our different beliefs, notions and religions. Important because of the profound affect these notions have on all of us one way or another, directly or indirectly.

"What explains why some people are more religious than others?"

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ology-religion

I believe it is the understanding of the psychology and/or these dynamics that tends to help people "break away" from many an influence that is not always so worthy of adopting let alone promoting. That influence of parent on child and child with parent that determines to what extent we "break away" as a generation over time, one generation after another.

The psychology sure seems to be more about what's going on over the facts, reason and logic that religion tends to offer anyway.

"Through these presentations, it becomes quite obvious just how different people are in their approach to religion and spirituality, and it beckons us to consider why."

Sure does me anyway...

Last edited by LearnMe; 07-14-2019 at 09:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 08:38 AM

19,912 posts, read 20,023,546 times
"Page not found" Broken link, maybe?

Old 07-14-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Working for me...

"Testing. One, two. Testing?

Do you read me?

Old 07-14-2019, 08:57 AM

16,386 posts, read 7,720,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Seems like. From comments made, I would say OP should isolate one part of the process that was most helpful and present it.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Seems like. From comments made, I would say OP should isolate one part of the process that was most helpful and present it.
Not sure I follow. Ugh...

Isolate what? What process?

Are you not able to read my opening comment? Anyone?

Old 07-14-2019, 09:15 AM

11,333 posts, read 11,335,080 times
There are as many "religions" as there are religious people, which points to the complete subjectivity of the set of beliefs within a religion that each person chooses for himself. Take Christianity--please! Sorry, that's an old Henny Youngman joke. Anyway, take Christianity. You have the Calvinists and the Arminianists. You have the liberals and the conservatives and the fundamentalists, who are in a class (and a mental hospital) all by themselves. You have universal salvationists, eternal tormentists (who torment us eternally with their posts) and annihiliationists. Then you have roughly 35,000 different sects within the word, Christianity. I can't think of a better example to point up to the fact that religious belief is completely psychological. There's nothing supernatural about it.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:17 AM

26,053 posts, read 13,542,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

Can read your opening comment but the link to the article doesn't work. If it does for you, it's likely because you bookmarked it when it was viable and your computer cached it.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:18 AM

19,912 posts, read 20,023,546 times
Quote:

Have you tried clicking on the link as it is in your post or are you checking it from your source page?

Old 07-14-2019, 09:20 AM

22,971 posts, read 10,562,650 times
Quote:

Sorry, the link isn't working for me, either.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Can read your opening comment but the link to the article doesn't work. If it does for you, it's likely because you bookmarked it when it was viable and your computer cached it.
Ah! Thanks. You are a BIG help. I replaced the link with one that maybe works better now. Not sure what happened there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality