U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2019, 10:52 AM
 
3,936 posts, read 1,202,111 times
Reputation: 759

Advertisements

Beep beep boop amen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2019, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,911 posts, read 12,387,417 times
Reputation: 16859
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnuluck View Post
LOL I don't know about that!

What if you are born with a 'disadvantage' that held you back most of your life and has obviously colored your outlook towards life as far from rosy.
Would you still say that person is setting themselves up for failure?
You want to know what I would say, my friend?

I would say that soul was very high, quite advanced.

He chose and decided to come back here, blind, in poverty with arguing, alcoholic parents....but has not come
into his full purpose yet...he has gotten caught up in the world of 'wordly thought
and priorities'
He chose this to learn and to teach great lessons to advance soul growth.
And he will blossom soon and be very powerful in his wisdom because of his trials.

(Um, you don't know me...I did not have any rosy start...oy.)

PS...I blame God for nothing...It's ALL about 'me'...and my choices...
I created the whole picture in front of me! All me!
And my thoughts and beliefs and, thus, projections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 10:56 AM
 
6,235 posts, read 1,767,403 times
Reputation: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You want to know what I would say, my friend?

I would say that soul was very high, quite advanced.

He chose and decided to come back here, blind, in poverty with arguing, alcoholic parents....but has not come
into his full purpose yet...he has gotten caught up in the world of 'wordly thought
and priorities'

He chose this to learn and to teach great lessons to advance soul growth.
And he will blossom soon and be very powerful in his wisdom because of his trials.

(Um, you don't know me...I did not have any rosy start...oy.)
I've always wondered where you get that stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,911 posts, read 12,387,417 times
Reputation: 16859
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I've always wondered where you get that stuff.
Hi BF,
Rem...I am a bit different...when a person sits for over 4 decades
sometimes 6 hours a sitting in complete stillness...no meat, alcohol, drugs, etc..
Insights, Knowledge galore is 'downloaded' like light bulbs dawning in your consciousness.
Many 'Ah-ha moments'.
Christians call them Revelations... Epiphanies.
Be still and know...ya know? Ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
23,370 posts, read 10,695,968 times
Reputation: 20736
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
God does give us more than we can handle to bring us to dependence on him. So yes...he can "set us up to fail". His desire is not for you to have your best life now. It's to bring glory to him.

Read Hebrews 11. Many of the great heroes of the faith did amazing things. Others got sawn in half, fed to lions, etc.
Thank you for this post. You constantly reminded me of why I turned away from christianity. You do a great service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 12:21 PM
 
1,894 posts, read 1,127,203 times
Reputation: 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You want to know what I would say, my friend?

I would say that soul was very high, quite advanced.

He chose and decided to come back here, blind, in poverty with arguing, alcoholic parents....but has not come
into his full purpose yet...he has gotten caught up in the world of 'wordly thought
and priorities'
He chose this to learn and to teach great lessons to advance soul growth.
And he will blossom soon and be very powerful in his wisdom because of his trials.

(Um, you don't know me...I did not have any rosy start...oy.)

PS...I blame God for nothing...It's ALL about 'me'...and my choices...
I created the whole picture in front of me! All me!
And my thoughts and beliefs and, thus, projections.

....i blame God for nothing...


...combat veteran, two tours in vietnam, wounded three times, lost my four year old daughter to neuroblastoma, spent a number of years drunk and on drugs, all before i turned thirty five....i'm sober 33 years, i could go on...we all have a story, mines no different than other's...maybe in degree, that's all



...you have a choice, wallow in your pity and always be the victim or realize what a wonderful gift you have been given... i chose this life, call it 'karma', one's 'cross to bear' or whatever, you need to face it head on and know it's all part of a bigger process that you'll never fully understand...every day i wake with gratitude and thank God for the chance to live another day, regardless what i face...it works for me...



p.s. ever get lost in the woods or the jungle for more than a couple days, one thing you quickly realize, nature doesn't give a sh1t you're there and if you don't know how to catch a fish, trap a critter or know what plants you can eat, you are going to stave to death; do you blame God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,911 posts, read 12,387,417 times
Reputation: 16859
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie
"God does give us more than we can handle to bring us to dependence on him. So yes...he can "set us up to fail".
His desire is not for you to have your best life now. It's to bring glory to him.

Read Hebrews 11. Many of the great heroes of the faith did amazing things.

Others got sawn in half, fed to lions, etc."
________________________
Now...with respect..

How do you see this giving glory to God...and why would you think that this
would draw ANYone to Jesus or to Christianity, exactly?
Are u thinking of when Jesus said that regarding Lazararus, perhaps?
Cuz that was a whole special event....apparently, the implication was so Jesus 'could' bring him
back to life.

Now if anyone thinks being tortured and brutally murdered brings glory to God...well, simply said,
they are so wrong.
Does it say that those in the Coliseum killed by lions singing, making Nero crazy showed us they were SUPER in an altered state of transcendence? (Grace)...I would agree.

Btw, I could not enter the Coliseum ...I could hear the screams from the Rail platform
just outside of the entrance. Thank you years of meditation making me too sensitive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,911 posts, read 12,387,417 times
Reputation: 16859
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
....i blame God for nothing...

...combat veteran, two tours in vietnam, wounded three times, lost my four year old daughter to neuroblastoma, spent a number of years drunk and on drugs, all before i turned thirty five....i'm sober 33 years, i could go on...we all have a story, mines no different than other's...maybe in degree, that's all

...you have a choice, wallow in your pity and always be the victim or realize what a wonderful gift you have been given... i chose this life, call it 'karma', one's 'cross to bear' or whatever, you need to face it head on and know it's all part of a bigger process that you'll never fully understand...every day i wake with gratitude and thank God for the chance to live another day, regardless what i face...it works for me...

p.s. ever get lost in the woods or the jungle for more than a couple days, one thing you quickly realize, nature doesn't give a sh1t you're there and if you don't know how to catch a fish, trap a critter or know what plants you can eat, you are going to stave to death; do you blame God?
Ok, this goes in the 5 Star Hall of Fame⭐ posts here!⭐⭐⭐⭐

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
7,004 posts, read 6,302,503 times
Reputation: 6312
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post



p.s. ever get lost in the woods or the jungle for more than a couple days, one thing you quickly realize, nature doesn't give a sh1t you're there and if you don't know how to catch a fish, trap a critter or know what plants you can eat, you are going to stave to death; do you blame God?
Meh, this is that old "God takes care of those who take care of themselves" theology. Not really biblical unless you do some biblical gymnastics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
23,370 posts, read 10,695,968 times
Reputation: 20736
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...


p.s. ever get lost in the woods or the jungle for more than a couple days, one thing you quickly realize, nature doesn't give a sh1t you're there and if you don't know how to catch a fish, trap a critter or know what plants you can eat, you are going to stave to death; do you blame God?
No, but I'm not gonna thank him, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top