U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 03:16 PM

1,894 posts, read 1,127,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Meh, this is that old "God takes care of those who take care of themselves" theology. Not really biblical unless you do some biblical gymnastics.

...where did i say it was 'biblical'?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 03:17 PM

1,894 posts, read 1,127,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, but I'm not gonna thank him, either.

...i 100% agree with that statement...

Old 07-18-2019, 05:03 PM

6,235 posts, read 1,767,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Thank you for this post. You constantly reminded me of why I turned away from christianity. You do a great service.
Yes. I realize that most people today tend to be focused on themselves.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:58 PM

23,370 posts, read 10,695,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. I realize that most people today tend to be focused on themselves.
You clearly realize it.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:50 PM

1,007 posts, read 645,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnuluck View Post
For those of you who still believe in God, do you think that God keeps on increasing the severity of the so called 'trials' if you haven't failed the previous ones - kind of like a video game where each new level gets more difficult than the last one.

I have seen so many examples around me, where people have braved their misfortunes with unbelievable patience and faith, only to be faced with something even harder than what they previously encountered so much so that at some point they just break down and falter, so to say, which makes you wonder if God set them up for failure?
The assumption is God creates trials which means God causes a situation in which we undergo pain and suffering.

Does God send a tsunami, tornado, earthquake, disease, etc to test how strong our faith is? No.

Natural disasters, accidents, violence, wars can affect us at any random time. And if we are in the wrong place at the wrong time we are injured or wind up dead.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:54 PM

55,980 posts, read 75,025,502 times
If I cross on the red did god strike me down?

Old 07-18-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
No. God has demonstrated by His complete inaction and disinterest in this world and its people that He is a deist God. He seeded the planet with life, He set up natural laws of evolution, physics, math (which includes actuaries--odds, in other words) and everything else to govern things down here. Then He went AWOL.

Anything that happens to you, like cancer for instance, is the result of bad genes, bad lifestyle, or sheer dumb bad luck. God had nothing to do with it. That's why prayer doesn't work--never has.

Christians would love you to think God has a hand in all this because then their leaders can dictate to you what kind of life they believe you should live and how much money you should give them so that you can keep God from getting really pissed off at you and killing you or doing something harmful to you. It's all about power and wealth when it comes to the Christian enterprise. Very little of it has to do with concern for your soul. But God is not going to do ANYTHING to you, good or bad. In much of this you make your own odds of success by your grit and determination to succeed. Or you have really bad luck in life and fail in one thing after another. It's all about odds and chance.
Not AWOL. People's heart and conscience go AWOL.

God sends his Son Jesus who reflects the Father and gives us words to live by:
Love your neighbor
Pray for your enemy
Don't make riches the focus of your life
Stay out of politics and hot button issues of the day
Avoid carnal war
Share with others these words to live by
Tell them about God's Kingdom.

But when they don't listen to you don't allow the peace that dwells in you to give way to anger and retaliation. Stay calm and move on. Don't force the message on others. He even tells us that God will not withhold the sun and rain from even those who deny he exists.

Your animosity towards God and "Christians" is misdirected. Christian principles are not the problem. Christ isn't the problem. It's people who call themselves Christians but don't practice what they preach. That's the problem.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:23 PM

23,370 posts, read 10,695,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post

Love your neighbor
Pray for your enemy
Avoid carnal war

But when they don't listen to you don't allow the peace that dwells in you to give way to anger and retaliation. Stay calm and move on. Don't force the message on others. He even tells us that God will not withhold the sun and rain from even those who deny he exists.

Your animosity towards God and "Christians" is misdirected. Christian principles are not the problem. Christ isn't the problem. It's people who call themselves Christians but don't practice what they preach. That's the problem.
hd4me -- it's about time that you accepted than thrillobyte and many of the rest of us are never going to accept what we see as your fairy tale. You can dress it up however you like. We don't agree. Period.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:32 AM

3,936 posts, read 1,202,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post

Love your neighbor
Pray for your enemy
Avoid carnal war

Is yahweh/god a christian?

Old 08-12-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnuluck View Post
For those of you who still believe in God, do you think that God keeps on increasing the severity of the so called 'trials' if you haven't failed the previous ones - kind of like a video game where each new level gets more difficult than the last one.

I have seen so many examples around me, where people have braved their misfortunes with unbelievable patience and faith, only to be faced with something even harder than what they previously encountered so much so that at some point they just break down and falter, so to say, which makes you wonder if God set them up for failure?
No he says:

Dont overdrink
Dont cheat on your spouse
Treat your spouse and others with respect like Jesus treated people
Be slow to anger quick to listen
Dont cheat
Dont steal
Dont lie
Dont kill
Be merciful
Be kind

smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality