U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:25 AM

5,768 posts, read 2,912,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
No he says:

Dont overdrink
Dont cheat on your spouse
Treat your spouse and others with respect like Jesus treated people
Be slow to anger quick to listen
Dont cheat
Dont steal
Dont lie
Dont kill
Be merciful
Be kind

smh
Actually, what I got that he said was;

Quote:
1 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.
2 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.
3 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
4 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
That would four out of the ten. The rest basically say 'do as I say, not as I do'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:15 AM

39,745 posts, read 11,107,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
No he says:

Dont overdrink
Dont cheat on your spouse
Treat your spouse and others with respect like Jesus treated people
Be slow to anger quick to listen
Dont cheat
Dont steal
Dont lie
Dont kill
Be merciful
Be kind

smh
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Actually, what I got that he said was;

(Grovel to me. Do not grovel to any other gods, Don't even think about it. Do you hear me?)

That would four out of the ten. The rest basically say 'do as I say, not as I do'.
You nailed it. Both the 'ghost Bible' (it says what they think it ought to say, rather than what it actually Does say) and hi-jacking Humanist morality and claiming that it is religious. In fact the two are the same thing. It's why Biblical endorsement of slavery has now been overtaken by a human acceptance that slavery is wrong (though the instinct to kill or enslave Others and take their women is terribly strong)and so that the Bible endorses slavery has to be denied. We saw it in a recent thread where one of our regulars simply denied that that the Bible endorses slavery, even where the passages where it explicitly does so were posted.

The Exegetical acrobatics of the bible apologists has amazed and fascinated me from the time that i first encountered it. I am especially diverted by how the mostly important thing if for them never to admit that they had it wrong. Even if they are making themselves and their religion look bad by denying what is plainly so right there cut and pasted on the screen is less important than not admitting that their own Faith in their own rightness is misplaced, wrong and delusionary. This, i am pretty sure now, is what faith is all about, Not about faith in the Bible, but their faith in their own rightness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality