U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 01:23 PM

40,579 posts, read 27,088,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnuluck View Post
What is this method or formula to doing 'everything right'?
Love God and each other every day and repent when you don't. If you let love and consideration for the well being of everyone involved drive your behavior and attitudes you will do "everything right."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 01:59 PM

83 posts, read 24,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Love God and each other every day and repent when you don't. If you let love and consideration for the well being of everyone involved drive your behavior and attitudes you will do "everything right."

This brings back us to my first post - you have been doing all the 'right things' exactly how you described above but all this does is makes your life harder and harder.
In my personal case, I gave up on something I truly cherished and knew would not be able to replace only for the sake of God and for my family because supposedly it was the 'right thing to do' and for what?! I am neither happy, nor close to god, I have not experienced any warm fuzzy feelings or spiritual uplifting. All it has done is made me question the veracity of religion.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
This brings back us to my first post - you have been doing all the 'right things' exactly how you described above but all this does is makes your life harder and harder.
In my personal case, I gave up on something I truly cherished and knew would not be able to replace only for the sake of God and for my family because supposedly it was the 'right thing to do' and for what?! I am neither happy, nor close to god, I have not experienced any warm fuzzy feelings or spiritual uplifting. All it has done is made me question the veracity of religion.
You should question the veracity of religion. Much of what is in religions is false and human-created rules and regulations having nothing to do with your relationship with God. The primary reason for doing "everything right" is to avoid the regret, remorse and "weeping and gnashing of teeth" over your life in the spiritual realm. As to our current existence in the physical world, we are to overcome and endure to the end. Our expectations (what we truly believe is and will be true) defines our life here and unfortunately, too many of us are very negative in our expectations and beliefs which makes for self-fulfilling outcomes.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:04 PM

13,298 posts, read 13,811,740 times
Quote:
what did you "give up on" for "God and your family" ?

Old 08-27-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
what did you "give up on" for "God and your family" ?
Well someone I was very much into.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:46 PM

13,298 posts, read 13,811,740 times
Quote:
Well someone I was very much into.
when you say it was "the right thing to do"
what are we talking about, adultery by a married person?
or breaking up with someone your parents didn't want you to be with as a teenager?
someone of another race? another culture?

was "the right thing to do" to follow your own conscience your own sense of right and wrong.
or to try and please someone else.

it sounds like you regret the decision or feel some sadness around it or resentment.
what does God have to do with the decision?

Old 08-27-2019, 04:46 PM

3,330 posts, read 1,652,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I can only speak for me...if something has come about that was unexpected, a misfortune,...
I look at myself...and I know I have not done everything correctly.
And this is coming from someone that has practiced creating, manifesting 'impossible' things deliberately
and consciously with directed intent since 1975.

If I live my day haphazardly, like Mr. Magoo*...anything could happen...a fender bender on a sunny day!
A person can't say, "I hope I never get cancer." And think that's gonna work.
There is a method or formula to doing 'everything right'.
I'm nothing special I just studied and applied stuff - You can be an atheist or a 'believer'.

* For younger posters: A cartoon character- 'Mr. Magoo is old and can't see very well, so he talks
to objects and walks into dangerous situations.'
He doesn't plan or think ahead...his catch phrase was.
"I've done it again."
I did mention unrealistic expectations in my first post in this thread. That is tied directly to planning and thinking ahead. I almost always have a plan B, but sometimes even that plan can fail. Then I drink a glass of wine.

Quote:
Misfortunes as in an ailment or disability that has held you back throughout your life and some of your failures can be tied back to those misfortunes.

More importantly, I am interested in finding out why when someone is resolute in doing the right thing even at the cost of personal gratification, something almost always befall them that makes continuing in that supposedly 'right path' even harder.

For example, someone I know decided to take in their aging mother when she didn't have anyone looking after her. Within a few years, this person was afflicted with a very debilitating illness making it tough for them to look after their mother in the manner they had in the past but they still tried (or couldn't get any other sibling to step up), however, it led to severe resentment (wrongfully) towards their mother for having to take care of her. Around the same time their two sons dropped out of school, one suffers from depression and the other got into drugs and even tried committing suicide one time. In the end, this person took out all their negativity on their mother who finally passed away earlier this year. Looking back, I feel this person had pure intentions and a strong determination to be there for their mother, but life threw way too many curveballs to break them down and some might even say they 'failed their tests' from God.
The minute a person feels resentment, they need to reconsider the situation. It doesn't matter how many years things have been going well for them.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
when you say it was "the right thing to do"
what are we talking about, adultery by a married person?
or breaking up with someone your parents didn't want you to be with as a teenager?
someone of another race? another culture?

was "the right thing to do" to follow your own conscience your own sense of right and wrong.
or to try and please someone else.

it sounds like you regret the decision or feel some sadness around it or resentment.
what does God have to do with the decision?
Breaking up because the most acceptable interpretation of religious texts was to not marry someone outside of my religion. The person I was with was also not willing to convert (or to get married due to a really bad experience from previous marriage). I also think it's unfair to make someone change their beliefs solely for the sake of relationship.

Supposedly if God didn't care about this or religious interpretation is faulty, why do I feel abandoned by Him since I obviously took that action to please Him (whether rightfully or not). Even if I had followed my heart, I am pretty sure I would have crushed my parents. I guess this is why I feel that God sets you up for failure, because now I am no longer inclined to stick to religion and if I get judged against the 'religious texts' I would be considered a failure!

Old 08-28-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Breaking up because the most acceptable interpretation of religious texts was to not marry someone outside of my religion. The person I was with was also not willing to convert (or to get married due to a really bad experience from previous marriage). I also think it's unfair to make someone change their beliefs solely for the sake of relationship.
Supposedly if God didn't care about this or religious interpretation is faulty, why do I feel abandoned by Him since I obviously took that action to please Him (whether rightfully or not). Even if I had followed my heart, I am pretty sure I would have crushed my parents. I guess this is why I feel that God sets you up for failure, because now I am no longer inclined to stick to religion and if I get judged against the 'religious texts' I would be considered a failure!
Your problem is with your religion, NOT God. If you had followed your heart out of love, you would have been doing what God wants, NOT what your religion or your parents want. God has no religion. God just IS and wants us to love one another, period.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:53 AM

6,914 posts, read 4,278,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Actually, what I got that he said was;

That would four out of the ten. The rest basically say 'do as I say, not as I do'.
Hi guy that would depend on how you understand the law. Is it a legalistic law or a spiritual law?

According to scripture the law is spiritual.

Most read the 10 laws after a legalistic view point and totally miss the point.

Thou shalt not is not telling us not to do something (legalistic view)

Thou shalt not is telling us that when we walk in the spirit thou shalt not covet, thou shalt not steal etc.

In other words the 10 laws written in stone are 10 laws of promise telling us what we wont be doing if we are walking in the spirit.

Thus if we find we are doing these things we then know we are walking in the flesh and not in the spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality