Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 09:39 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
But aren't there a lot of words different between the KJV Bible and the books of Hindu or the Book of Mormon? If not why not all use the same book? Why do so many throw verses at each other? Why do you have so many posts trying to explain why we should accept your claims about your experience? And why weren't services not in English at mosques and synagogues sufficient for OzzyRules test?

That's the main question, why only one subset 9f one religion and not all the rest if words don't count? Or are you agreeing that First Nations, Jews, Muslims, Hindu Mormons etc cannot be spiritual?
We all ARE spiritual because we are Spirit beings. We only think we are physical beings because of our conditioning in our physical body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 09:40 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That would be his point. It isn't about the words. It is about the Spirit. Knowing God is experiential, NOT intellectual.
So god and christians want us dumb. I understand now.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:45 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
We all ARE spiritual because we are Spirit beings. We only think we are physical beings because of our conditioning in our physical body.
I agree that we ate spuritual beings but only as far as I believe being spiritual has no bearing on either the existence of any gods or if we belief in a God or not.

When I drop a heavy object on my bare foot, the pain reminds me that I am a physical being and the bruises and pain remind me for a while longer yet. I don't believe that we are not physical beings. If we were nit, the airliners would pack us in much tighter that they already do.

So I might be a physical being with some spirituality but I do not agree that we are not physically beings. Same as dogs or cats. Or trees.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:49 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Apparently. Judaism expects it's people to spend a great amount of time learning all they can. On more than just the Torah. God seems to want whatever his folower wants same as he hates who his followers hates.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:19 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
The idea that there is no god is arrogant? You want non-humans to believe in Jesus Christ?

My dog knows many things. He knows how to sit on command, that he never gets food scraps when I cook, the normal route for our walk, the cat likes him, and the UPS guy is dangerous (ok, sometimes he is mistaken). He has no concept of god at all. He simply doesn’t have the capacity to understand the concept of god, or really the concept of any creature he cannot see or smell in the moment. That you expect him to is ludicrous.

As for other humans, anybody can understand atheism. It’s really simple. God has never been proven, godlikelt doesn’t exist it isn’t complicated, difficult to understand, or arrogant. It is simply reality.
Really? You actually know this as a fact? Amazing.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:21 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It sounds like you think the Truth can only be known by intellectuals. As if the truth is not something that a retarded child could ever understand. Or any non-human for that matter. Only a small percentage of one species has access to your truth. Do you even realize how arrogant that idea sounds?
Ozzy, you are so blinkered to the facts.

The truth is that of humanity, only a small number have been able to contribute to the advance of human knowledge. Most just want to do their jobs and get on with their lives, which is fine and their contribution to a lifestyle that enables that small number to make the discoveries is equally to be valued.

Similarly, most don't care too much about what has been discovered, and that's ok, too. The arrogance in with those who do not know these facts, will not listen to them, and yet look down their long noses at the people who do, and declare that they not only have the Truth but are the ones to lecture others on what it is. I'm looking at you here, Ozzy mate.

Quote:
That would be his point. It isn't about the words. It is about the Spirit. Knowing God is experiential, NOT intellectual.
Mystic you really think we don't know what Ozzy's on about? And we know that you also believe the same thing.

Quote:
Your rejection of such nonsense is justified, but it has little to do with God or His Holy Spirit.
Neither of which Belief you have ever been able to validate (and in fact not long ago tried to come up with an arguments why you didn't have to), but still continue to peddle as Fact.

Quote:
We know we are physical beings because we can validate the physical. The 'spirit' (aside from human conventions like art and ethics, just to avoid any equivocation) is no more that a belief, and which you have not a shred of decent evidence and you know you don't which is why you tried to pretend that Beliefs didn't need to be validated.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-21-2019 at 03:31 AM..

Old 07-21-2019, 03:33 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Really? You actually know this as a fact? Amazing.
He has better evidence for this than you have for the god you believe in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Matthew 11 25. "At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes."

Yes. Christianity needs people to be dumb, and if they have a brain, to check it at the Church door (1). That is the message that the Gospels pummel at us page after page.

Just reading Ozzy's posts shows us how well they succeed in this.

(1) I have to recall a video of an attempt to have an amicable discussion between Christians and atheists and the referee began by asking which thing they didn't like to hear. I forget what the atheist one was but probably 'You are going to hell'. But the Christians didn't like the one about 'checking their brain at the church door'. They don't like being told that they are stupid, or don't think.

They are of course, as smart as any atheist, and they often do think (and change churches as a result). But at the same time, they deposit their critical faculties at the church door (metaphorically - they leave it there when they go out into the Real World, too) and replace it with uncritical acceptance, and believe it to be a good and valid thing to do.

Faith is Not a virtue.
They both - Ozzy and Mystic - have things they refuse to believe on faith and so create their own denomination of religion and sneer at those who have different beliefs they way they sneer at those who have none.
Both peddle what is claimed on faith as known as a fact and project their own monumental arrogance onto any who think differently.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-21-2019 at 03:51 AM..

Old 07-21-2019, 06:23 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
I know of plenty of Latin American and Asian speaking churches which are fundamentalist. I'm sure there is something in every major city.

If there is nothing in your area, then I guess you are off the hook. Lucky you.
Really? Enlighten us. Most Christians in Latin America are Catholics. Fundamentalism is an American invention. List some of these churches you refer to. Post links.

Let me ask you again. Did you really THINK about this (and do a little research) before you decided to start this thread, or did you just have a thought pop into your head and so you started the thread.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:33 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
STOP PERSECUTING Oz

Old 07-21-2019, 07:10 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
STOP PERSECUTING Oz
Can't help it. I'm kinda generous in that I like giving people what they beg for if I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality