U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 08:26 AM

23,023 posts, read 10,583,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Let's try one more time: the information I was sharing is MEDICAL, i.e. From a doctor who made a study of the effects of crucifixion and the need to support the upper body if the torture is to last the days it normally took under Roman practices.

The fact that this information supports the sequence of events in the narrative is a problem for you. Deal with it.
And you feel this proves the resurrection story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 08:34 AM

16,393 posts, read 7,728,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Did I say that? I was merely pointing out that a problem OP expressed was easily explained. What he or anyone else does with the information is not my problem.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:43 AM

23,023 posts, read 10,583,971 times
Quote:
Did I say that? I was merely pointing out that a problem OP expressed was easily explained. What he or anyone else does with the information is not my problem.
True.

But aren't some using the information that way?

Old 07-30-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
True.

But aren't some using the information that way?
Unfortunately some people find a religion about a person more immediate than the message that person taught. The message is still included for those open to it, so....I guess my point is that focusing on discrediting the religion is not where I would put MY energy.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:47 PM

6,096 posts, read 1,744,087 times
Quote:
Unfortunately some people find a religion about a person more immediate than the message that person taught. The message is still included for those open to it, so....I guess my point is that focusing on discrediting the religion is not where I would put MY energy.
lol...yah. ok.

It's all I ever see from you.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:25 PM

11,341 posts, read 11,344,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
lol...yah. ok.

We won't go into what the rest of us see from you, Baptist, but if I were you I'd be pretty red-faced. Thank God I'm not.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
lol...yah. ok.

No, BF, what you see from me is discrediting misrepresentations of what Jesus taught, not the basic form of expression as Catholic vs Protestant or Orthodox or Mormon.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:30 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,905,723 times
Quote:
We are under the impression that surviving the cross is possible if not probable after such a short time. What we need to show is the probability that some crazy dude existed at the time and stirred up enough disturbance to get himself crucified and who also had the network to get himself rescued, thus starting the legend that grew into a full blown religion. Actually surviving the cross isn't even necessary for the legend to develop, as I see it. I once speculated that this man, as deluded as he was, actually planned the whole thing.

Then I realized that the biblical accounts had far too much detail and actually read like a novel. With several different versions.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:55 PM

12,912 posts, read 14,194,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It doesn't matter.
I would disagree to the extent of it being a question if you enjoy mythology and archeology it does. I was interested as a teenager in the Irish Book of Invasions, which purports of explain the history of the populating of that island. It is filled with wonderful stories (and would make a rip-roaring pagan bible). Comparing the archeological finds to the narrative doesn't provide much support for it, though here and there there are very interesting parallels.

As I am not personally "bothered" by Jewish or Christian religious beliefs, I find the comparison of the Tanach/OT and the archeology of the Middle East in the same way. I grew up being taught that mythology and legend and it interests me. Archeologists such as Israel Finkelstein of Tel Aviv annoy believers no end, but I have no iron in that fire so I don't feel that he is trying to jab needles into anyone's eternal salvation.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:58 PM

6,096 posts, read 1,744,087 times
Quote:
No, BF, what you see from me is discrediting misrepresentations of what Jesus taught, not the basic form of expression as Catholic vs Protestant or Orthodox or Mormon.
Right. So unless we believe exactly as you do, we're wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or