Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2019, 09:17 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
The Bible is our authority; the teachings of men are worthless.
The Bible is full of the teachings of men and has no more authority than any other work of fiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 09:53 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,626 times
I read the entire Bible decades ago and the New Testament alone several times. What got to me was the God of the OT that Jesus was calling his Father. That was not a God I liked yet it is the roots of Christianity -- can't have one without the other. To accept Jesus you have to respect his father. In the end I decided to walk away from it all. I wasn't into smiting, or casting people into Hell or who is/isn't a sinner and needs saving. That all is mean spirited to me. Not love.

It appeared to me to have begun in the OT as a tribal religion -- for and about the Jewish people. Gentiles added in later (possibly reluctantly), but really wasn't about us. And I wager that is why there is so much fighting about it today. Had I been born there or had Grandparents from there maybe it would of made more sense (?). As a Gentile living in the US (second generation) I was more interested in the religions my own people had before Christianity. What did pre-Christian Ireland believe or the Slavic peoples? Those are my people. They had their own practices and beliefs. I'm even more interested in what Native Americans believe because that is what was here. I decided to look closer to home. And when I started that search all that hell stuff ended, all the threats ended. To this day I respect that others find meaning in it but its not for me. Worrying about hell is only for Christians.

Last edited by coffeemoments; 08-07-2019 at 10:03 AM..

Old 08-07-2019, 09:53 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Well, the Bible states that Hell is a permanent separation of God. It does not say every lasting torture. Hell is the second death.

Where does the Bible say such a thing?

Old 08-07-2019, 10:30 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
I read the entire Bible decades ago and the New Testament alone several times. What got to me was the God of the OT that Jesus was calling his Father. That was not a God I liked yet it is the roots of Christianity -- can't have one without the other. To accept Jesus you have to respect his father. In the end I decided to walk away from it all. I wasn't into smiting, or casting people into Hell or who is/isn't a sinner and needs saving. That all is mean spirited to me. Not love.

It appeared to me to have begun in the OT as a tribal religion -- for and about the Jewish people. Gentiles added in later (possibly reluctantly), but really wasn't about us. And I wager that is why there is so much fighting about it today. Had I been born there or had Grandparents from there maybe it would of made more sense (?). As a Gentile living in the US (second generation) I was more interested in the religions my own people had before Christianity. What did pre-Christian Ireland believe or the Slavic peoples? Those are my people. They had their own practices and beliefs. I'm even more interested in what Native Americans believe because that is what was here. I decided to look closer to home. And when I started that search all that hell stuff ended, all the threats ended. To this day I respect that others find meaning in it but its not for me. Worrying about hell is only for Christians.
Nice post, and thinking along solid lines I'd say. Hell was of course passed on to Islam and borrowed either from Christianity of Zoroastrianism or both (it wasn't and isn't a Jewish belief). Either way, Not having a worry about hell is something i feel thankful about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
Good question. While disbelief in Eternal Torture is a step we atheists would praise, it's a fair question- where in the Bible (aside from the "Interpretation" needed to have a Hell -belief at all) is this 'Hell' declared to be 'separation from God'? While it would suit atheism very well to not have the question asked, it would be dishonest not to say that it is a fair question.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:33 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
I agree, especially when we have no choice in being born and no choice in the environment we are born into. The bible was written by men not God, and it's principles and concepts have to be wrong otherwise God is a horribly unfair dictator. There may be a God, but if there is I'm sure the form is absolutely nothing like the bible teachings. If so, how much worse could satan actually be?

Old 08-07-2019, 10:55 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Well, the Bible states that Hell is a permanent separation of God. It does not say every lasting torture. Hell is the second death.
Quote:
thats the belief of christian sect number 21488 of 30000+ varieties.

You just don't understand.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:48 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times
Quote:

All who know the true God knows its fact. The true God set before all--Life or Death( Deuteronomy 30:19) both will be everlasting. 99% are being mislead as we speak, minimium. Same as in Noahs day. Jesus even compared the last days to Noahs day-99.9% were mislead then.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:53 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
So god-jesus isn’t omnipresent?

Jesus isn't the true living God-False religion states he is. Jesus teaches The Father ( one who sent him( John 5:30) is THE ONLY TRUE GOD at John 17:3-- Most outright refuse to believe Jesus over dogmas of men handed down for centuries. From one generation to the next, from parent to child. The teachings of Jesus in every translation on earth proves it fact. I share 7 major teachings from him and every trinitarian rejects those teachings, yet all 7 are in their bible to. They don't know what Jesus actually teaches because their teachers are not paid to teach what he actually teaches they are paid to teach that brand of dogma. Billions are falling for it for centuries.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:45 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,827 times
Quote:
2 Thessalonians 1:8–9

8 in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9 They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might

That verse is what is referred to.
Heaven is the opposite according to scripture and will live forever in the next life with the presence of the Lord.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:55 PM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
All who know the true God knows its fact. The true God set before all--Life or Death( Deuteronomy 30:19) both will be everlasting. 99% are being mislead as we speak, minimium. Same as in Noahs day. Jesus even compared the last days to Noahs day-99.9% were mislead then.
Of course, you're one of the special followers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality