U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 10:02 PM

23,205 posts, read 10,631,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
His spirituality has evolved. As have those Christians who try to model themselves after Christ, rather than slavishly follow a decrepit old rule book.

Fundies remain stubbornly spiritually retarded and mired forever between the covers of that musty old book.
I very much agree.

They bury themselves in a book rather than actually living the principles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 10:06 PM

23,205 posts, read 10,631,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
I said that in the context of Matthew 7:22 read the post. Matthew 7:22 was directed at Christians. If you say you're a Christian....then your doctrines should be in line with the teachings of Christ, right?

Actually Buddhists, the ones I've met want the same things Christians want or some of us anyway: Peace, happy family life, stability.
Too bad we're all going to hell.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:32 AM

28,137 posts, read 15,204,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I might ask you the same; and why do you ignore what Jesus actually said (according to the Gospels) and make it seem that he is supporting the slavish following of the religious laws while ignoring the urging to decent behavior that was the spirit of the teaching?

Why in fact do you follow the "Ghost Bible"; one that exists in your head and says not what the actual Bible says, but what you would like it to say?
From a Jewish perspective, that’s irony...

Old 08-07-2019, 01:43 AM

39,799 posts, read 11,125,718 times
It must be. But culturally I think from the Christian theological perspective. I wouldn't presume to apply it to Jewish thinking.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:30 AM

11,376 posts, read 11,365,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You have just condemned yourself to separation from the Comforter sent in Jesus's name by deliberate rejection and denialism. Sad, very sad. Fortunately, the Comforter will not desert you whether or not you ever respond to His presence.

I'm content, Mystic. The Comforter never gives me any comfort and my prayers have never gotten answered. I consider myself way ahead of the Christians in terms of not having to lug around all the baggage that religion brings with it--no church on Sunday morning, no throwing good money down a rat hole on Sunday mornings, no getting on my sore knees three times a day to pray to a dead person, no checking my life at every step to see if my actions conform to what Jesus says I should do in the gospels. I only wish the lightbulb had gone on over my head much earlier in life.

Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,453,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You have just condemned yourself to separation from the Comforter sent in Jesus's name by deliberate rejection and denialism. Sad, very sad. Fortunately, the Comforter will not desert you whether or not you ever respond to His presence.
Patent nonsense! Innumerable times throughout my life (and I'm in my senior years now . . . and was a believing Christian and even a preacher/teacher/apologist for the Chrisitian faith from the Protestant conservative evangelical school-of-thought), God-- if such an entity even exists or has ever existed --has "deserted" me again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again . . . ad infinitum!!! Ad nauseum!!! And the same with countless other humans throughout the ages and to this very day!!! No ifs, ands, or buts.

Or if, as the case may be, said entity doesn't exist in the first place (so there was nothing there in the first place to comfort nor desert myself nor anyone else) or there is a God but not quite as described by yourself nor by myriad others (e.g,. if it exists at all, it may be what is called a "deistic" God: i.e., one that created us and all that is and then let go of it all and doesn't get involved with us nor intervene in our lives . . . or at least not in any discernable or predictable way; for if it ever does intervene in any way, it never ever lets us know about it, so how are we to give it credit for what it doesn't ever take credit for in the first place???).

The Internet wouldn't have enough space on it to document all the times that so so so so many of our fellow humans (and ourselves), throughout the ages and to this very day (even sincere and faithful believers), have been deserted, abandoned, neglected, cast aside by this supposed entity that you say exists and that you give the name of "God". Yet sometimes things DO happen in life that are to our benefit and there are those that will attribute this to "God". So what does this indicate? That this purported "God", if it exists at all, operates by its whim? That is, if it "feels like it", it will do something to benefit or comfort or uplift you or deliver you from calamity and then, if it doesn't "feel like it", it will not do so? Why is this to be praised? It is, all in all, no better than your fellow humans at-large are capable of in this regard.

Your thinking and that of so many others is characterized by what might be called "wish fulfillment" or "feel-goodism". I suppose for some (or for many) that such subscribed-to thinking functions for them as a sort of life coping mechanism. Yet why hold out and promote such thinking as being "revealed truth"? It is reasonable to surmise that such thinking functions, for many, as a coping mechanism they engage in for dealing with life's challenges and uncertainties.

The "Comforter"? I get more "comfort" from the comforter on my bed. Perhaps I should worship and follow my bed comforter instead.

Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

40,452 posts, read 26,973,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Patent nonsense! Innumerable times throughout my life (and I'm in my senior years now . . . and was a believing Christian and even a preacher/teacher/apologist for the Chrisitian faith from the Protestant conservative evangelical school-of-thought), God-- if such an entity even exists or has ever existed --has "deserted" me again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again . . . ad infinitum!!! Ad nauseum!!! And the same with countless other humans throughout the ages and to this very day!!! No ifs, ands, or buts.

Or if, as the case may be, said entity doesn't exist in the first place (so there was nothing there in the first place to comfort nor desert myself nor anyone else) or there is a God but not quite as described by yourself nor by myriad others (e.g,. if it exists at all, it may be what is called a "deistic" God: i.e., one that created us and all that is and then let go of it all and doesn't get involved with us nor intervene in our lives . . . or at least not in any discernable or predictable way; for if it ever does intervene in any way, it never ever lets us know about it, so how are we to give it credit for what it doesn't ever take credit for in the first place???).

The Internet wouldn't have enough space on it to document all the times that so so so so many of our fellow humans (and ourselves), throughout the ages and to this very day (even sincere and faithful believers), have been deserted, abandoned, neglected, cast aside by this supposed entity that you say exists and that you give the name of "God". Yet sometimes things DO happen in life that are to our benefit and there are those that will attribute this to "God". So what does this indicate? That this purported "God", if it exists at all, operates by its whim? That is, if it "feels like it", it will do something to benefit or comfort or uplift you or deliver you from calamity and then, if it doesn't "feel like it", it will not do so? Why is this to be praised? It is, all in all, no better than your fellow humans at-large are capable of in this regard.

Your thinking and that of so many others is characterized by what might be called "wish fulfillment" or "feel-goodism". I suppose for some (or for many) that such subscribed-to thinking functions for them as a sort of life coping mechanism. Yet why hold out and promote such thinking as being "revealed truth"? It is reasonable to surmise that such thinking functions, for many, as a coping mechanism they engage in for dealing with life's challenges and uncertainties.

The "Comforter"? I get more "comfort" from the comforter on my bed. Perhaps I should worship and follow my bed comforter instead.
Our expectations govern whether or not we experience any comfort from God. Religions have created and perpetuate absurd and ridiculous expectations of an intervening God on earth where we have been given Dominion. Any and all interventions occur within our consciousness because God IS consciousness (Spirit). Expecting physical and worldly interventions when we have Dominion is irrational. Interventions help us to cope with and overcome the trials and tribulations of this physical existence so that we can endure to the end as loving Spirits, period. Expecting anything else is pure human hubris. Worship has no value or importance to God, but to the extent that it helps us to commune and resonate with God, it is valuable to US, NOT God.

Old Today, 10:00 AM

I can't recall the last time I saw an atheist post presented using the jargon of theism. But i agree with what you posted, Mystic. I'd just use different words.

Old Today, 12:01 PM

40,452 posts, read 26,973,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I can't recall the last time I saw an atheist post presented using the jargon of theism. But I agree with what you posted, Mystic. I'd just use different words.
That is because you are wedded to the physical material Reality, Arq. Absent you experiencing the actual Reality, I would expect nothing else from you.

Old Today, 03:57 PM

Pending the happening to me, I shall carry on as I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or