U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 05:08 PM

4,494 posts, read 3,024,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
There is millions of people who chose to get the blessing of God through Christ and millions choose to ignore these blessing , as this is the free will from God ... Just as God watched and one third of His creations of Angels walked away from God to be eternally lost to God , and two thirds of the Holy Angels of God remain to lean on God , where then the demons of the flesh all rejected God and all demons are eternally rejected by God for their free will to do what they want ..... .... Where as for man, God gives the only option to turn to God through Jesus and receive His blessing are the free will
In the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy series the Vogons destroyed Earth to make way for an interstellar highway. Protagonist, citizen of Earth, and one of the few non-dolphin survivors Arthur Dent complained to the Vogons about not having been given notice in advance. The Vogons responded that all Earth citizens would have had to do to learn of their planet's impending doom would have been to head down to the local galactic government headquarters, several light years away.

Earlier in the series, just about at the beginning, Arthur Dent awoke to find his house being bulldozed to make way for...I think it was...a freeway or something, or maybe a parking lot. He complained about not having been given notice. The government told him that all he would have had to have done is go down to the local government office and find the papers, which had been somewhere in a cellar.

Your God operates exactly like the Vogons and whoever was the Mayor of Arthur Dent's town. I'd have thought, given the popularity of Douglas Adams stories, more people would have seen those sorts of similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 05:38 PM

15,776 posts, read 12,327,399 times
I don't think free will is a ''gift''...it messes everything UP!....I would much rather have
someone wave a magic wand that
makes all my choices for me so that I exp pure joy all the time. Free will was completely for God!~
For His sublime joy when someone actually acknowledges Him on their own.
He was the one that didn't want robots...give me the individual ability to feel Endless Joy...
and I would have no need for any God. See?
Pls, make me a puppet filled with Joy, wouldya Lord? I don't need any stinkin' free will.

He had to give us free will for The Divine Courtship, The Divine Romance ...The Cosmic Game...
for the bored and alone One, the Only One That Is...Him.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 07-30-2019 at 05:47 PM..

Old 07-30-2019, 07:10 PM

4,494 posts, read 3,024,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I don't think free will is a ''gift''...it messes everything UP!....I would much rather have
someone wave a magic wand that
makes all my choices for me so that I exp pure joy all the time. Free will was completely for God!~
For His sublime joy when someone actually acknowledges Him on their own.
He was the one that didn't want robots...give me the individual ability to feel Endless Joy...
and I would have no need for any God. See?
Pls, make me a puppet filled with Joy, wouldya Lord? I don't need any stinkin' free will.

He had to give us free will for The Divine Courtship, The Divine Romance ...The Cosmic Game...
for the bored and alone One, the Only One That Is...Him.
That's a mentality for a creator I could understand, and empathize with.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:32 PM

3,567 posts, read 1,289,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Agreed. But harnessing ineffable forces in no way identifies them any more than naming them God's Will, especially in a thread about Will.
"Harnessing ineffable forces."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Tj_l4PcPs

Old 07-30-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
In the end, isn't free will just quantum mechanics flipping coins? In that case our will is being decided by a mysterious system we don't understand.
Another way to put this is, "you pay your quarter and you take your chances." Unfortunately a lifetime of correct choices will not negate a drunk driver coming in the other direction. But, that's life.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:21 PM

6,966 posts, read 6,274,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Unfortunately a lifetime of correct choices will not negate a drunk driver coming in the other direction. But, that's life.
This is just an example of the drunk driver exercising free will as he puts the finishing touches on God's "wonderful plan for your life."

Old 07-30-2019, 11:52 PM

25,293 posts, read 24,187,928 times
Lose the Pepto-Bismol print.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:55 AM

15,776 posts, read 12,327,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
That's a mentality for a creator I could understand, and empathize with.
Thank you, for being you. It would be new to many, some scratching their heads.
(What I wrote was actually hugely profound...
and didn't really come from 'me', per se. In other words, I was made privy to it...shown.)

Old 08-01-2019, 04:16 PM

10,658 posts, read 15,811,912 times
The biblical ground for free will lies in the fall into sin by Adam and Eve that occurred in their "willfully chosen" disobedience to God.[11]
"Freedom" and "free will" can be treated as one because the two terms are commonly used as synonyms.[12] However, there are widespread disagreements in definitions of the two terms.[13] Because of these disagreements, Mortimer Adler found that a delineation of three kinds of freedom is necessary for clarity on the subject, as follows:
(1) Circumstantial freedom is "freedom from coercion or restraint" that prevents acting as one wills.[14]
  • In the Bible, circumstantial freedom was given to the Israelites in The Exodus from slavery in Egypt.[15]
(2) Natural freedom (a.k.a. volitional freedom) is freedom to determine one's own "decisions or plans." Natural freedom is inherent in all people, in all circumstances, and "without regard to any state of mind or character which they may or may not acquire in the course of their lives."[16]
  • The Bible, paralleling Adler, views all humanity as naturally possessing the "free choice of the will."[17] If "free will" is taken to mean unconstrained and voluntary choice, the Bible assumes that all people, unregenerate and regenerate, possess it.[18] For examples, "free will" is taught in Matthew 23:37 and Revelation 22:17.[19][clarification needed]
(3) Acquired freedom is freedom "to live as [one] ought to live," a freedom that requires a transformation whereby a person acquires a righteous, holy, healthy, etc. "state of mind or character."[20]
The Bible testifies to the need for acquired freedom because no one "is free for obedience and faith till he is freed from sin's dominion." People possess natural freedom but their "voluntary choices" serve sin until they acquire freedom from "sin's dominion." The New Bible Dictionary denotes this acquired freedom for "obedience and faith" as "free will" in a theological sense.[18] Therefore, in biblical thinking, an acquired freedom from being "enslaved to sin" is needed "to live up to Jesus' commandments to love God and love neighbor."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_w...y#In_the_Bible

https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAc&uact=5

Old 08-01-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
The biblical ground for free will lies in the fall into sin by Adam and Eve that occurred in their "willfully chosen" disobedience to God.[11]
"Freedom" and "free will" can be treated as one because the two terms are commonly used as synonyms.[12] However, there are widespread disagreements in definitions of the two terms.[13] Because of these disagreements, Mortimer Adler found that a delineation of three kinds of freedom is necessary for clarity on the subject, as follows:
(1) Circumstantial freedom is "freedom from coercion or restraint" that prevents acting as one wills.[14]
  • In the Bible, circumstantial freedom was given to the Israelites in The Exodus from slavery in Egypt.[15]
(2) Natural freedom (a.k.a. volitional freedom) is freedom to determine one's own "decisions or plans." Natural freedom is inherent in all people, in all circumstances, and "without regard to any state of mind or character which they may or may not acquire in the course of their lives."[16]
  • The Bible, paralleling Adler, views all humanity as naturally possessing the "free choice of the will."[17] If "free will" is taken to mean unconstrained and voluntary choice, the Bible assumes that all people, unregenerate and regenerate, possess it.[18] For examples, "free will" is taught in Matthew 23:37 and Revelation 22:17.[19][clarification needed]
(3) Acquired freedom is freedom "to live as [one] ought to live," a freedom that requires a transformation whereby a person acquires a righteous, holy, healthy, etc. "state of mind or character."[20]
The Bible testifies to the need for acquired freedom because no one "is free for obedience and faith till he is freed from sin's dominion." People possess natural freedom but their "voluntary choices" serve sin until they acquire freedom from "sin's dominion." The New Bible Dictionary denotes this acquired freedom for "obedience and faith" as "free will" in a theological sense.[18] Therefore, in biblical thinking, an acquired freedom from being "enslaved to sin" is needed "to live up to Jesus' commandments to love God and love neighbor."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_w...y#In_the_Bible

https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAc&uact=5

How does ANY CREATURE DIRECTLY CREATED BY THE HAND OF AN OMNIPOTENT OMNISCIENT GOD, "willfully choose" ANYTHING? Creatures purposefully created by the hand of an omnipotent omniscient God can only be, and do, EXACTLY as an omnipotent omniscient God created them to be, and do. If a creature purposefully created by the hand of an omnipotent omniscient God does even one thing thing that God did not intend for them to do, and know that they WOULD DO, then God FAILED to achieve what God intended to achieve.

If God is omnipotent and omniscient, then free will is an illusion!

If God is NOT omnipotent and omniscient, then God is FALLIBLE!

If God never existed to begin with, then free will is a NATURAL CONDITION. "Natural freedom," if you prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or