U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2019, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
15,455 posts, read 10,446,383 times
Reputation: 2641

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Let's put it this way, a bible sitting inside a hotel night stand has almost no takers.
They're pretty handy for swatting flies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2019, 07:49 AM
 
11,075 posts, read 2,874,334 times
Reputation: 7487
What I find curious about the bible is, no matter what you are trying to justify or vilify...depending on how verses are 'interpreted'...ANYTHING can basically be proven right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 12:06 PM
 
Location: USA
3,623 posts, read 1,301,309 times
Reputation: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Truth.

This is the only reason that the Bible has endured for so long. It contains truth that anyone can understand at any age. A person doesn't have to be an intellectual to understand it. In fact, it is a stumbling block to the proud and to intellectuals.

What do you think? If this reason is wrong and it does not contain the truth, then why has it endured for so long? Why is it the greatest selling book of all time?

(The responses will be revealing.)
The endurance of the Bible is based on each generation faithfully indoctrinating the next generation, and the ongoing ignorance of the way the universe actually works. The playing field changed in the 20th century however, with the introduction of several new scientific observations.

1. The law of conservation of energy (energy can neither be created or destroyed, only changed from form to form).
2.(E=MC²) Matter is one of the forms that energy takes.
3. Relativity, both general and special.
4. Quantum mechanics.

The Bible is a record of the assumptions concerning reality made by our ignorant ancestors. It wasn't their fault. Knowledge grows from knowledge. The process takes time. The "truth" of the Bible has now been revealed to be little more than a record of ancient ignorance. In the future the Bible will be valued as a source for understanding our ignorant origins. Not for any inherent truth that it might hold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,877 posts, read 12,374,654 times
Reputation: 16856
Never thought about it, Ozzy...esp because so many things have endured along with the Bible.

It is an Epic story...love and loss, triumph and victory, hate and forgiveness, jealousy and passion!
Death and resurrection...out of ashes, the Phoenix....with the ultimate ending...Home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 01:30 PM
Status: "I care about your eternity. Sorry." (set 17 days ago)
 
264 posts, read 35,407 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Truth.

This is the only reason that the Bible has endured for so long. It contains truth that anyone can understand at any age. A person doesn't have to be an intellectual to understand it. In fact, it is a stumbling block to the proud and to intellectuals.

What do you think? If this reason is wrong and it does not contain the truth, then why has it endured for so long? Why is it the greatest selling book of all time?

(The responses will be revealing.)
Hi Ozzy. When I first began researching the claims of Christianity I was quite surprised by how much supporting evidence actually exists! Much more than I'd assumed there would be. I've heard Christianity being called an 'evidentiary faith' and I'm glad that's the case because I don't think I would have been able to have faith without any evidence.

As an agnostic, seeking answers, I was really aiming for the clearest view of reality. Whatever worldview I ended up with, I wanted to have inner confidence because I know what I believe and the reasons why. That meant I had to be as objective as possible and not rule anything out until I determined there was sufficient reason.

It would be an interesting experiment to do a deep-dive investigation of Christianity from the perspective of someone with no prior knowledge of it. Warner Wallace (former cold-case detective) has some great content that deals with evidence-based reasons to belief Christianity. He's a former atheist who used a methodical approach when he 'investigated' the claims of Christianity.

Here's a 2 min. video of Wallace giving a brief explanation of his approach [01:51]:
"Why A Proper Understanding of Objective Truth Is Important To Christian Belief"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCiAxPisGKo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 01:44 PM
 
Location: USA
3,623 posts, read 1,301,309 times
Reputation: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Hi Ozzy. When I first began researching the claims of Christianity I was quite surprised by how much supporting evidence actually exists! Much more than I'd assumed there would be. I've heard Christianity being called an 'evidentiary faith' and I'm glad that's the case because I don't think I would have been able to have faith without any evidence.

As an agnostic, seeking answers, I was really aiming for the clearest view of reality. Whatever worldview I ended up with, I wanted to have inner confidence because I know what I believe and the reasons why. That meant I had to be as objective as possible and not rule anything out until I determined there was sufficient reason.

It would be an interesting experiment to do a deep-dive investigation of Christianity from the perspective of someone with no prior knowledge of it. Warner Wallace (former cold-case detective) has some great content that deals with evidence-based reasons to belief Christianity. He's a former atheist who used a methodical approach when he 'investigated' the claims of Christianity.

Here's a 2 min. video of Wallace giving a brief explanation of his approach [01:51]:
"Why A Proper Understanding of Objective Truth Is Important To Christian Belief"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCiAxPisGKo
Since the video made no reference to what the evidences for belief in God and Christianity are, perhaps you could provide us with a few examples of what this "supporting evidence," (which Wallace refers to as "objective truths,") are.

A half dozen to begin with would be a good start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 02:02 PM
Status: "I care about your eternity. Sorry." (set 17 days ago)
 
264 posts, read 35,407 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Since the video made no reference to what the evidences for belief in God and Christianity are, perhaps you could provide us with a few examples of what this "supporting evidence," (which Wallace refers to as "objective truths,") are.

A half dozen to begin with would be a good start.
Have you made your own concerted effort to find truth? I'm asking because I suspect your request for "supporting evidence" is rhetorical. After all, you don't need me to do your research for you, and you'd probably say you've "heard it all before." If you leave it to others to convince you, it would rob you of the internal confidence that comes from the knowledge attained from doing your own search.

If your request is sincere, here's a video that might be a good next step...
A Wallet, A Dollar, the Existence of God - Pt.1 [06:30 min.]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vi-FsaEb3Q

Last edited by Iwasmadenew; 07-31-2019 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 02:13 PM
Status: "I care about your eternity. Sorry." (set 17 days ago)
 
264 posts, read 35,407 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Since the video made no reference to what the evidences for belief in God and Christianity are, perhaps you could provide us with a few examples of what this "supporting evidence," (which Wallace refers to as "objective truths,") are.

A half dozen to begin with would be a good start.

Part 2 of that last video, if you're interested...
A Wallet, A Dollar, the Existence of God - Pt.2 [03:54]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpVV...319AA6&index=4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
23,305 posts, read 10,673,211 times
Reputation: 20715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Hi Ozzy. When I first began researching the claims of Christianity I was quite surprised by how much supporting evidence actually exists! Much more than I'd assumed there would be. I've heard Christianity being called an 'evidentiary faith' and I'm glad that's the case because I don't think I would have been able to have faith without any evidence.

As an agnostic, seeking answers, I was really aiming for the clearest view of reality. Whatever worldview I ended up with, I wanted to have inner confidence because I know what I believe and the reasons why. That meant I had to be as objective as possible and not rule anything out until I determined there was sufficient reason.

It would be an interesting experiment to do a deep-dive investigation of Christianity from the perspective of someone with no prior knowledge of it. Warner Wallace (former cold-case detective) has some great content that deals with evidence-based reasons to belief Christianity. He's a former atheist who used a methodical approach when he 'investigated' the claims of Christianity.

Here's a 2 min. video of Wallace giving a brief explanation of his approach [01:51]:
"Why A Proper Understanding of Objective Truth Is Important To Christian Belief"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCiAxPisGKo
Nothing like teaming up with Chuck Colson...a notorious "truth teller".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 02:28 PM
 
Location: USA
3,623 posts, read 1,301,309 times
Reputation: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Have you made your own concerted effort to find truth? I'm asking because I suspect your request for "supporting evidence" is rhetorical. After all, you don't need me to do your research for you, and you'd probably say you've "heard it all before." If you leave it to others to convince you, it would rob you of the internal confidence that comes from the knowledge attained from doing your own search.
I am here aren't I! Have I "made (a) concerted effort to find truth?" Well, I was raised Christian and I have read the Bible cover to cover. That should be considered a good start. At least from your point of view.

According to the Gospel According to Matthew, Jesus tasked Christians (that includes you presumably ) with spreading the "truth" of the Gospel. This is a forum dedicated to discussing religious beliefs. You have a specific set of religious beliefs. I am offering you the opportunity to state and defend those religious beliefs. So what's holding you back? Do you find yourself questioning your own beliefs? Then this forum is a good place to test out your conclusions. Are you afraid that your ability to defend your beliefs might be shown to be inadequate? Then your choice is either to engage and learn, or to protect your precious but inadequately worked out conclusions by running and hiding.

The choices are yours to freely choose from. And remember, others will also be watching and drawing their own conclusions. Running and hiding is itself a type of a confession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top