Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 12:29 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If it helps, I'll volunteer to portray one on Wednesdays.
I have some really cool crystals, a set of runes, and Tarot deck you can borrow.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:07 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Seeing that there are at least 1000 reports of resurrections/resuscitations of those proclaimed dead, perhaps it is you who are trying to shut out possibilities.
First, notice that there is a significant distinction between "resurrection:"

Wikipedia
Resurrection
Resurrection or anastasis is the concept of coming back to life after death.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resurrection

and resuscitation:

Wikipedia
Resuscitation
Resuscitation is the process of correcting physiological disorders (such as lack of breathing or heartbeat) in an acutely ill patient. It is an important part of intensive care medicine, trauma surgery and emergency medicine. Well known examples are cardiopulmonary resuscitation and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resuscitation

Individuals whose brains have not died can sometimes be resuscitated. There have been numerous reported cases of individuals being misdiagnosed as dead by doctors, who then later woke up in the morgue.

If you wish to make the case that Jesus was resuscitated, I am willing to listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden
I have trouble accepting UFO's. My father, an Air Force veteran, and his entire crew was pulled and held at an AF facility in Texas after the B-17 they flew from Georgia to Texas spotted a UFO larger than their own plane. It followed them and changed position from one side of the plane to the other. When the pilot stated he was turning toward it, it shot into the clouds. Every single one of the six crewmen saw it. The AF kept them isolated for 24 hours and interviewed each one separately. They were given strict orders to never speak of the incident again.

How do I invalidate something he passionately believed in due to his personal experience. When he first revealed that to me when I was sixteen (it happened about ten years earlier), I laughed. He then proceeded to slap the smile off my face.

I still have problems "accepting" UFO's, because, just as you have never seen a resurrected individual, I have never seen a UFO. Concluding it didn't happen or couldn't happen is arrogant.
I am also an Air Force veteran. I have much direct knowledge of aircraft.

About ten years ago I was standing in my yard attempting to observe a comet through binoculars, when I noticed what appeared to be a craft of some kind flying silently through the night sky. I was able to train my binoculars on it for several seconds before it disappeared behind the roof of my neighbor's house. When I researched what I had seen, I found that what I saw was consistent with other reports of the same thing.

Wikipedia
Black Triangles (UFO)
Black triangles are a class of unidentified flying object (UFO) with certain common features which have reportedly been observed during the 20th and 21st centuries. Media reports of black triangles originally came from the United States and United Kingdom.

Reports generally describe this class of UFOs as large, silent, black triangular objects hovering or slowly cruising at low altitudes over cities and highways. Sightings usually take place at night. These objects are often described as having pulsing colored lights that appear at each corner of the triangle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_triangle_(UFO)

I couldn't identify what I saw. What I saw was unlike any flying craft I am familiar with. Which is the classic definition of a UFO.

I should also say that I spent time at the test base at Edwards AFB (nearly 50 years ago now), and I saw various secret aircraft while I was there. Nothing like the Black Triangle though. Does that mean I have actually seen an alien spacecraft? NOPE! It means I couldn't identify what I saw.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 01:31 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
I couldn't identify what I saw. What I saw was unlike any flying craft I am familiar with. Which is the classic definition of a UFO.

I should also say that I spent time at the test base at Edwards AFB (nearly 50 years ago now), and I saw various secret aircraft while I was there. Nothing like the Black Triangle though. Does that mean I have actually seen an alien spacecraft? NOPE! It means I couldn't identify what I saw.
Ah! But you can't PROVE you DIDN'T see an alien spacecraft!

So it COULD have been an alien spacecraft, and therefore aliens CAN exist, if you just open your mind to the possibility. Anything is possible!

KIDDING! Just kidding!

I enjoyed reading your attempt at more reason and logic that might help separate the truth from the nonsense, but as the Black Triangle well represents, there's always lots of nonsense for anyone to embrace according to their pre-established inclinations and biases. Plenty that tends to keep the truth from seeing the light of day.

Still, one likes to believe what the Buddha taught in this regard.

"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth."

Sometimes I think the Buddha got the "long" part wrong however. Perhaps why he also taught patience...

Old 08-21-2019, 01:44 PM

1,456 posts, read 515,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Not sure I have much choice given some awfully strong wills here who seem intent on mother henning this forum as if it's their very own, but in this thread too I am surely not in any way interested in derailing anything...
[...] What's wrong with some people?
I've counted at least 3 posts from you since my comment complaining about all these belligerent people trying to silence you. You could've easily spent that time starting a new thread dedicated to your ideas and your ideas alone. A place where you can expound on the topic to your heart's content. But, no, it's easier to play a victim than commit to a discussion that won't get shut down the moment the falsity of your assumptions is made clear.

If you respond to this post with anything but a link to your new thread, I will assume you are only interested in fueling your persecution complex and leave the rest to the moderators.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:26 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:

So it COULD have been an alien spacecraft, and therefore aliens CAN exist, if you just open your mind to the possibility. Anything is possible!

KIDDING! Just kidding!

I enjoyed reading your attempt at more reason and logic that might help separate the truth from the nonsense, but as the Black Triangle well represents, there's always lots of nonsense for anyone to embrace according to their pre-established inclinations and biases. Plenty that tends to keep the truth from seeing the light of day.

Sometimes I think the Buddha got the "long" part wrong however. Perhaps why he also taught patience...
I see no reason to doubt that life exists elsewhere in the universe. I also see no reason to suppose that UFO's are of alien origin. The first time I saw an SR 71, I thought it looked like a spacecraft.

If truth cannot be hidden, it certainly can be clouded for long periods of time.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:55 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
I've counted at least 3 posts from you since my comment complaining about all these belligerent people trying to silence you. You could've easily spent that time starting a new thread dedicated to your ideas and your ideas alone. A place where you can expound on the topic to your heart's content. But, no, it's easier to play a victim than commit to a discussion that won't get shut down the moment the falsity of your assumptions is made clear.

If you respond to this post with anything but a link to your new thread, I will assume you are only interested in fueling your persecution complex and leave the rest to the moderators.
Very hard to disagree with you about this

Old 08-21-2019, 04:43 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Remember the early days when this poster pretended to be nice and polite. It doesn't seem to be that a christian should become so easily frustrated that they change their whole character.
The "Ned Flanders" syndrome it's all 'Hi diddly Hi, Neigbour and a truly Blessed day to you, may Jesus' sun shine upon Thee and Thine " but just let the local museum mention evolution and it's "......"

Old 08-21-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have some really cool crystals, a set of runes, and Tarot deck you can borrow.
That won't do. You have to sacrifice the neighbourhood cat and eat parts of it at least.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:

KIDDING! Just kidding!

That's where those who are apparently signing up to Belief don't follow the logic, but espouse Faith. When you don't know what you saw, you say that you don't know what you saw. You don't say that you saw an alien spacecraft.

Which is why when you don't say that what isn't known has to be evidence for ...whatever you want to believe. That's the way logic works.

Cue..."Well logic is just a human invention..."

Old 08-21-2019, 06:22 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
There is a name for premature burial - vivisepulture.

So apparently, resurrection is no miracle and in fact, is fairly common.

Unless all these reports are hoaxes.
It was even more common in times past.

Remember that up until a few centuries ago, they didn't even understand the mechanics of death.

They knew people died, but didn't understand why.

Quote:
If you wish to make the case that Jesus was resuscitated, I am willing to listen.
I've made the case repeatedly. Jesus wasn't really dead. He only appeared to be dead thanks to the help of opiates.

That's why Jesus never appears before anyone except his closest confidants. The only appearances Jesus makes is before the disciples, the women in his life and his Inner Circle.

Jesus refuses to go into town and show himself; he refuses to appear before Pilate; and most telling of all, Jesus refuses to appear before the Pharisees.

That's because he wasn't really dead and if anyone saw him, they would kill him for real.

Quote:
I am also an Air Force veteran. I have much direct knowledge of aircraft.

About ten years ago I was standing in my yard attempting to observe a comet through binoculars, when I noticed what appeared to be a craft of some kind flying silently through the night sky. I was able to train my binoculars on it for several seconds before it disappeared behind the roof of my neighbor's house. When I researched what I had seen, I found that what I saw was consistent with other reports of the same thing.

Wikipedia
Black Triangles (UFO)
Black triangles are a class of unidentified flying object (UFO) with certain common features which have reportedly been observed during the 20th and 21st centuries. Media reports of black triangles originally came from the United States and United Kingdom.

Reports generally describe this class of UFOs as large, silent, black triangular objects hovering or slowly cruising at low altitudes over cities and highways. Sightings usually take place at night. These objects are often described as having pulsing colored lights that appear at each corner of the triangle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_triangle_(UFO)

Actually, it does mean you saw "an alien spacecraft."

A flight of 8 Chinooks, 2 Blackhawks and a Kiowa was forced to land on a German highway because of an aircraft of that description. The aircraft didn't force them to land, but the US, British, German, Belgian and Dutch aircraft attempting to chase it forced them to land to avoid a mid-air collision.

In another instance, US, Canadian, German, Belgian and French aircraft were chasing a similar aircraft in the area between Strasbourg, France and Kaiserslautern, Germany. That aircraft was last observed just north of Strausbourg and then reappeared about 30 seconds later just west of Soesterberg Air Base in the Netherlands where it blew by four US and Dutch F-4s on its way to the North Sea.

That would put its speed in excess of 20,000 mph.

Saturn V rockets and certain ICBMs and SLBMs can reach speeds of 17,500 mph, but they fly vertically, not horizontally and most importantly: they don't hover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality