U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM

39,541 posts, read 11,024,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Some people's idea of compassion is my idea of idiotic foolishness.
Compassion would never seem to me to be foolishness. I recall........during a London 'tube' strike the corporation appealed to people to pop their fares in the box even though collectors were not on duty. There were those who thought that not taking advantage of people who were trusting you was foolish. I decided there that I would do what I considered right, not what other people would do in my position. I have never regretted coming to that viewpoint.

Quote:
And there are others. Like some "religious" people who take pride in not hurting an insect. While their entire philosophy is self-centered.
There's always an element of self interest at least in doing the Right Thing according to religion. Scrupulously avoiding taking life is perhaps Compassion as required, or you will lose out somehow. There may be those who put on an exhibition of Pious Observances to impress those who are watching (the Gospels have something to say about that) but that doesn't make the dogma itself bad, not that it is done to get God's approval, a better rebirth or indeed in Humanism, in the hope of improving society so it will be better to live in, itself makes the exercise of Compassion a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM

10,741 posts, read 12,819,729 times
When I say idiot I am referring to for example a driver instinctively swerving in order to not hit a squirrel crossing the road, not considering what horrific outcome might result from him causing a traffic accident with other cars or hitting people he had not yet seen.

Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM

Quote:
When I say idiot I am referring to for example a driver instinctively swerving in order to not hit a squirrel crossing the road, not considering what horrific outcome might result from him causing a traffic accident with other cars or hitting people he had not yet seen.
One might say that their thinking was regrettably limited to instincts rather than having a repository of 'educated-instinct' knowledge of the consequences that such a compassion-instinct might have. Nobody could criticise the instinct to compassion even if the term 'idiot' might spring to mind in view of the way it was applied.

None of which relates to Religious compassion, unless you want to imagine a mind experiment where refusing to press the button that operated the Gates preventing a torrent of water because there was a Mozzie sitting on it led to the death of 100 by drowning; but Doctrinally that was fine, Fine, fine, because he didn't kill the Mozzy and what happened to the drowned victims was nothing to do with him.

But Then I have never claimed that religions couldn't be foolish- like advising people to give all they have to the poor. Because if they did, the poor would immediately have to give it back to them.

That is if it were not for the Religions that compassionately hang on the loot for all them and allow them all to be satisfactorily poor.

Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM

6,096 posts, read 2,331,227 times
Quote:
How does this refer to the topic? Just another opportunity to mock others

Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM

3,194 posts, read 1,749,864 times
About giving all your possessions away is not about oneself or compassion. It is about detaching yourself from material possession and focus on a spiritual Journey. Simplifying one’s life, release your bonds and embrace the world. This is about a change of Attitude.

Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM

3,194 posts, read 1,749,864 times
Quote:
And there are others. Like some "religious" people who take pride in not hurting an insect. While their entire philosophy is self-centered.
How do you know this?

Old Today, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
About giving all your possessions away is not about oneself or compassion. It is about detaching yourself from material possession and focus on a spiritual Journey. Simplifying one’s life, release your bonds and embrace the world. This is about a change of Attitude.
That's ok - if one takes it as such. I could point to a couple of examples of the church taking it very literally, which would mean that Organised religion does not understand its' own Bible.

I might agree that Buddhism might teach (better even than humanist philosophy) non - attachment to material things, even if that doesn't mean not enjoying them which is why as a guide to life i find it heaps better than Christianity.

Old Today, 12:33 PM

13,118 posts, read 13,734,653 times
Quote:
Some people's idea of compassion is my idea of idiotic foolishness.
but tell us YOUR practice of compassion and empathy in YOUR life, tell us YOUR understanding, YOUR path.
that is what this thread is asking about. YOU to discuss YOU, not others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
How is compassion different from empathy? How do you differentiate between them? And how is this part of your chosen path of religion and spirituality, and your daily life?

the focus is to discuss you and your path and your daily life and your understanding.
not to weigh in on other people and other paths.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; Today at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or