Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 11:54 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

(1) women love them. Men indulge the women, and never mind that imbecile Dogma of forty or so years ago that Men want to force women into marriage. And the advantage of a secularist society is that a woman can have as many full church weddings as number of husbands she can get through.

hehe yea we're all lining up to take care of and clean up after a bunch of men. Guess thats why so many women decide never to remarry after they lose their spouse. Men on the other hand tend to remarry more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 12:08 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I think that religion will continue to decline, unless life gets harder. (Such as food shortages due to rising sea levels and shorter growing seasons). When people have hard lives, they seek some sort of bigger picture to make sense of things, and that often means religion.
Relatively few modern people actually know how to go about the day to day process of caring for and feeding themselves. The occurrence of an actual apocalyptic event, such as a widespread nuclear exchange, that destroys the existing infrastructure...

Wikipedia
Infrastructure
Infrastructure is the fundamental facilities and systems serving a country, city, or other area,[1] including the services and facilities necessary for its economy to function.[2] Infrastructure is composed of public and private physical improvements such as roads, bridges, tunnels, water supply, sewers, electrical grids, and telecommunications (including Internet connectivity and broadband speeds). In general, it has also been defined as "the physical components of interrelated systems providing commodities and services essential to enable, sustain, or enhance societal living conditions".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrastructure

... would likely result in the rapid demise of 80% to 90% of the world's current population.

If this occurs then the world will once again be plunged into darkness and ignorance, a new dark ages, and superstition will rear its ignorant head yet again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU0d8kpybVg

Old 08-02-2019, 12:17 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
This article misses a simple point: truth.
Do you remember that Seinfeld episode where George says, "Jerry, just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it." Classic!

Old 08-02-2019, 12:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
What's important is that Christian and Muslim fundamentalism will be footnotes in history books.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:42 PM

19,010 posts, read 27,557,249 times
Rephrased, it is customary of new religions to begin as heresies and end as superstitions.

A system of belief into some sort of a deity or superior being or else similar, always was, is and will be.
It is built into any thinking human. Even those, who deny that being existence, seek same, as their point of denial is that exactly being. So accept it or deny it - it is with humanity. The idea, the concept.
It was, is and will be taking various forms. Religions, as form of such idea, are needed for reasons various, hence, they will always be present in human society.

Unfortunately, that brings me - again - to egregores. As where there is two that believe in same, there will be egregore they initiated. And that egregore may grow into something as vast, as say Christianity. And, later on, may perish, just like great religions of the past perished.

As nothing changed. Man was the same 50 000 years ago, as he is now and as he will be 50 000 years down the road. As man is what man is.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:55 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
The plan of redemption was announced in Genesis 3. So while Jesus had not been born yet in Bethlehem, the plan was there.

I understand that. And my point was that the article is written from an atheistic point of view -- assuming all beliefs to be equally false. And yes--I realize beliefs will change. I get that. I said as much in my post. But to write an article analyzing religions from an atheistic worldview is ironic, in my opinion, and lacking.
Understandable- but the way i see it is that analyzing religions from any but the 'atheistic' point of view is like having a dogs' home designed by cats.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:58 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
hehe yea we're all lining up to take care of and clean up after a bunch of men. Guess thats why so many women decide never to remarry after they lose their spouse. Men on the other hand tend to remarry more often.
Perfectly Logical, captain. However there is more than one way of handling marriage.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:32 PM

50,752 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Never seen anyone describe themselves as "devout atheist". Interesting.

This article misses a simple point: truth. It assumes all religions are equally false. That's begging the question. Fact is, they blew it in the first sentence. There is no "before Jesus". He is God and was present at creation, before even the universe existed. He will not pass away, and Christianity will exist until he returns.

Having said that, it's quite possible that it will not be a dominant religion in 10, 20, 50, 5000 years, if this earth is still spinning. God never promised he'd be the most popular one. He just said he was the only true God and we should have no others.
And what god wouldn't say that?

Old 08-02-2019, 10:17 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
There was a really good (and long) article on the BBC website about the future of religions in the world. It goes into explaining various religions and why some survive and others don't and what they might look like in the future, even though I'm a devout atheist, I found the article very interesting to read:

Tomorrow's Gods: What is the future of religion?
Ive said before, I believe extraterrestrials will publicly 'show themselves', explaining that they are here to help us and ultimately, try to claim to be our true creators.

I already know a handful of people that believe we should be worshiping these beings

Old 08-03-2019, 02:42 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
Religion may go away but individual experience and what fuels the heart will remain.
Thats my thoughts anyways for what its worth.
Mine also.
Org religion...not my favorite thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality