U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 01:12 PM

39,667 posts, read 11,069,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Interesting...all have immense power to wreck your life...or influence it greatly in a bad way for awhile.
But...not God...interesting.
(Not saying I don't feel the same.)
So does the Bubonic plague bacillus, or a roof tile falling on your head. Doesn't make it a god. If anything, it is the idea that we are the Divinely Planned summit of creation rather than just another species that got lucky that leads us to the paradox that there is nothing greater than us but Gods, so, anything that can see us off must be gods, too.

But if we are just animals...then fossil exibit knows, we are as vulnerable to a scratch from an infected thorn as any warthog.

It's called Humility. Not the fake humility of religion. "I grovel to you, Lord, so everyone else should grovel to me.", but the humility of seeing nature and our small but marvellous part in it.

Cue Sibelius.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-05-2019 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 01:16 PM

40,422 posts, read 26,933,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Interesting...all have immense power to wreck your life...or influence it greatly in a bad way for awhile.
But...not God...interesting.
(Not saying I don't feel the same.)
God as an authority is for those still mired in childhood and only obeying what they THINK are God's commands. God as Father is for those who have spiritually matured to understand our actual role as children of God loving God and each other as we should.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:44 PM

20,097 posts, read 14,337,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
but with respect to authority, your own god ?? no one higher than yourself?
I am my own authority. There is none higher than me.

However, I voluntarily submit to social authority for society's sake, and to set an example for others, so that we may all benefit in pursuing our goals and dreams and we can do that without harming others.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:23 PM

5,758 posts, read 2,906,927 times
I do in fact recognize higher authorities than me. SWOMBO - and my cat.

SWOMBO - She WhO Must Be Obeyed

Old 08-06-2019, 08:36 AM

265 posts, read 93,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
God as an authority is for those still mired in childhood and only obeying what they THINK are God's commands. God as Father is for those who have spiritually matured to understand our actual role as children of God loving God and each other as we should.
So are you suggesting God changes, or our understanding changes as we spiritually mature?

Old 08-06-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
So are you suggesting God changes, or our understanding changes as we spiritually mature?
It is all about our understanding changing as we mature. Do you see your parents the same today as an adult (I assume) as you did when you were a young child? The same process applies to our species' evolution from its early childhood to today.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:55 PM

265 posts, read 93,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is all about our understanding changing as we mature.......

I'd agree that is the way it's supposed to work,
but I know many people 40/50/60+ that are still stubbornly stuck with a 8-year old ( 14-yo ykwya) spirituality!

Old 08-06-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I'd agree that is the way it's supposed to work,
but I know many people 40/50/60+ that are still stubbornly stuck with an 8-year old ( 14-yo ykwya) spirituality!
Contrary to common belief, there is nothing connected to our chronological age that affects our spiritual or emotional maturity. Maturity is affected by myriad environmental and experiential factors.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:38 AM

639 posts, read 170,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Comes from Ama.
No, the source is the platform of the spirit of Ama. Her name is Ka Apaz.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:47 AM

639 posts, read 170,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacecrusader888 View Post
Proofs that there is God:

1. We know that sperm cells and egg cell are in liquid form. When they meet (called fertilization) and after about 40 weeks, a baby was born. The baby died and buried. After a few months, it was exhumed. Where did the hair and skeleton come from?

2. A hen and a rooster. The hen laid eggs. You get one of the eggs and punched a hole to drink it. You let the other eggs to develop and become fowls. Did your drinking of the egg felt the beak and the feathers? Where did the beak and feathers come from?
You can use these when arguing with an atheist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality