U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 06:17 PM

40,412 posts, read 26,927,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I think the depth of the belief counts tons.
A non-chalant belief doesn't count for a lot, imo.
We don't really control our beliefs but they ARE the most important factor affecting our lives. You are correct that the depth and strength of our beliefs are controlling. I wish I could control mine but on the other hand, that kind of power in my fallible human hands might be too dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 06:38 PM

13,149 posts, read 13,744,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We don't really control our beliefs but they ARE the most important factor affecting our lives. You are correct that the depth and strength of our beliefs are controlling. I wish I could control mine but on the other hand, that kind of power in my fallible human hands might be too dangerous.
of course we control our beliefs.
we choose our beliefs.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:55 PM

5,242 posts, read 2,563,972 times
Quote:
We don't really control our beliefs...............................
I find at Deuteronomy 30:19 we do control our free-willed choice of beliefs.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:05 PM

6,110 posts, read 2,337,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I find at Deuteronomy 30:19 we do control our free-willed choice of beliefs.
That would apply to Christians only?

Old 08-05-2019, 07:16 PM

5,242 posts, read 2,563,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
That would apply to Christians only?
Since the God of the Bible is our Creator ( Rev. 4:11) then all have voluntary free-will choices.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:01 PM

420 posts, read 197,802 times
When you die, you will see your life review. You will only judge yourself. But you will see and feel everything you did both good and bad and also see and feel the consequences of those actions, both good and bad. Someone like Mother Theresa will feel pretty good about herself and it will be an enjoyable experience. Someone like hitler, may have to walk into a gas chamber 6 million times, be shot and buried in a mass grave a few million times, be bomber to oblivion and fire bombed and burned a few million times.

I will feel good about most of my life, sad about a few things and will want to correct those. After I join my wife again we are going fishing with some friends there waiting for me and maybe check out the Happy Hunting Ground with my tribal friend and if I get bored, I will explore every star, dust cloud solar system and every galaxy in this universe and then move on to the rest of the infinite number of universes.

I mean, I have eternity so gotta start somewhere.

The rest of you can tend flocks of sheep if that is what you imagine and believe. I want to learn and understand and experience everything.

My beliefs are conjecture. Conjecture is opinion based on incomplete information.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
of course we control our beliefs.
we choose our beliefs.
Nonsense. We believe what we believe but we cannot choose to believe what we do NOT believe, period. Try it. Anyone who thinks they can choose their beliefs is not talking about their real beliefs but what Miss H. would call "nonchalant" beliefs or claimed but not real beliefs.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
...We believe what we believe but we cannot choose to believe what we do NOT believe, period. Try it. Anyone who thinks they can choose their beliefs is not talking about their real beliefs but what Miss H. would call "nonchalant" beliefs or claimed but not real beliefs.
this is a planet of free choice.
we choose our beliefs. either "yes" we believe something. or "no" we reject it and do not believe it.

what part of that are you struggling with?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-05-2019 at 10:21 PM..

Old 08-05-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
this is a planet of free choice.
we choose our beliefs. either "yes" we believe something. or "no" we reject it and do not believe it.

what part of that are you struggling with?
What do you NOT believe that you can choose to believe? What about that do you not understand? Beliefs are not choices.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
What do you NOT believe that you can choose to believe? What about that do you not understand? Beliefs are not choices.

of course they are.
for much of your life you did not not believe in God. you chose that belief.
now you do believe in God. you chose that belief. you changed your mind. you set down your earlier belief and picked up a different belief.

that's what choice is.
choosing something.

people have reasons for making the choices they do. but it's still a choice they make.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-06-2019 at 12:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or