U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM

40,427 posts, read 26,953,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
No... not another one I thought was a a different sex. "Old cold''...I never would have thought was a woman.
Another blank profile.
It's not your fault, Miss H. These people do not post profiles or restrict them to friends clearly are not concerned about anyone knowing their gender preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:43 AM

39,726 posts, read 11,087,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
How come this ocean 777 guy never responds to a post?
It's the "Not arguing...just telling" gambit (Translation- "I want to preach, not be debunked")

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You know why. He/she is just using it as a platform to preach, not to discuss, debate or to defend.
I love what was written on another thread here about the youtubes. It's like just handing out pamphlets on the street.
Online, at least, they don't need to get subjected to watching them thrown in the next trash container or handed back to them.
Nailed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
How do you know know these things?
it's what happens when you cut the mind loose from a basis. We goddless bastards have a basis of materialist science, really. You have a basis of what the Bible says. When you cut loose, whatever pops into the head becomes Truth. It is almost indistinguishable from insanity. We may not agree with the Bible as a sound basis for anything but it is at least better than just making stuff up and thinking that Something is feeding revelation into the head.

Old Today, 04:01 AM

39,726 posts, read 11,087,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It's not your fault, Miss H. These people do not post profiles or restrict them to friends clearly are not concerned about anyone knowing their gender preference.
Right. You just know, when you look, that the 'about me' field will be blank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I know what you mean, Miss H. Mike555 nearly brings me to tears sometimes. Thing is, they're usually from laughter.

Yes. I won't mention names, but we have two basic kinds-those who want to preach, posting beliefs or evangelical videos and demanding that others defend their views but avoiding (inded ignoring) any questions, and we have those who reckon they have a good case and who (when they run out of arguments) loom for a 'Flouce', which is an excuse to walk out without conceding defeat. It is (I believe) based on the conviction that God puts truth into the head of the Believer, and thus admitting that they are wrong (other than minor details that can be put down to human error) is simply not an option as it would shatter the belief (that they are probably not even consciously aware of) that they are inspired by God.

Matthew 10:19 (CSB) But when they hand you over, don't worry about how or what you should speak. For you will be given what to say at that hour. (sending out the disciples)

Or in Mark 13.11 But when then shall lead you and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak; neither need ye premeditate. But whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye; for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost.(on the mount of olives)

or in Luke (if i can find a source without "We value you privacy...so we want your permission to violate it" blocks to any information)

12. 11 11 “Now when they bring you to the synagogues and magistrates and authorities, do not worry about how or what you should answer, or what you should say. 12 For the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.” 9on the journey to Peraea).

Same piece of text (Mark probably has it in the correct context) but Luke has used it for padding (as with a lot of 'sermon' material) for this journey, while Matthew (who transports text about wholesale) puts it into the sending out of disciples. That Matthew and Luke both have the text moved from the mount of olives lecture about the coming days (where the 'prediction' of Christians being put on trial is pretty relevant) to the sending out of disciples where they are warned about being put on trial in synagogues and so -on, which doesn't happen to them of course, suggests that this may be "Q". Could it be (rather like mark/ matthew material, more of an alternative gospel?

Anyway, enough of that digression. Not to say 'hi-jack'.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; Today at 04:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or