U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:47 AM

4,447 posts, read 1,674,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I bother because of posters like mordant, Pleroo, thrillobyte, pcamps, Northsouth and others who have shed the shackles of fundie-think and become better, happier, more fulfilled people because of it. Many of them credit message boards in general and this one in particular for helping them see the light.
From Tzapís post above.

So you believe there IS a universal music for all concerned parties and all 7 billion people, and there IS a universal favorite food for all concerned parties and all 7 billion inhabitants of planet earth?

Shedding the religious shackles and becoming an Atheist makes people happier.

This must be true for all? Correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:23 AM

26,091 posts, read 13,567,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
From Tzapís post above.

So you believe there IS a universal music for all concerned parties and all 7 billion people, and there IS a universal favorite food for all concerned parties and all 7 billion inhabitants of planet earth?

It's true for many fundies who've seen the error of their ways. Some become atheists/agnostics. Some may drift into more liberal/liberating belief systems.

All of them express relief at having cast off the repressive, oppressive dogmatism of fundamentalism. You should try it sometime. All it requires is the courage to conduct rigorous, honest self-examination. Of course with most fundies of my experience, courage and honesty are absent.

Old Today, 08:33 AM

56,672 posts, read 55,040,963 times
Quote:
From Tzapís post above.

Think ya quoted the wrong post...

Old Today, 09:14 AM

10,778 posts, read 12,840,110 times
Quote:

Of course it's true (and I'm not being sarcastic by saying that).

But that's only because you were leaving a legalistic point of view. So then what? It's perfectly simple isn't it? You simply go full steam in the other direction because you found happiness once you stepped in that direction. It makes perfect sense to just keep going that way doesn't it? It just makes too much sense to stop at any point. Why would anyone stop.

Old Today, 09:20 AM

10,778 posts, read 12,840,110 times
In other words, those are the only two options that atheists can see.

(1) Legalistic religion.
(2) Atheism

Make your choice because there's nothing else.

Old Today, 09:24 AM

39,705 posts, read 11,078,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

(1) Legalistic religion.
(2) Atheism

While your view is twisted by bias, it's essentially correct. A thing (as distinct from human opinions) is either true, or not
. A god (in the sense of a super human intelligent being rather than the obscurantist misapplications we often get) either exists or it doesn't. But there's an awful lot of ground that 'Not sure' covers, and a lot of possible kinds of 'gods' that could lurk there.

So the options are wide open.

Except for the kind of Theists who sees only two options.

The Only True God (which is the one they have in their heads) or some Really Bad punishment for guessing wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's true for many fundies who've seen the error of their ways. Some become atheists/agnostics. Some may drift into more liberal/liberating belief systems.

All of them express relief at having cast off the repressive, oppressive dogmatism of fundamentalism. You should try it sometime. All it requires is the courage to conduct rigorous, honest self-examination. Of course with most fundies of my experience, courage and honesty are absent.
It's a fact - whether we like it or not - that those with any belief think it is the right thing for them. So the accusations of being miserable because there isn't a god, or angry because it doesn't exist (so the evidence indicates) just aren't true (not that the apologist -accusers care about whether it's true or not), that we often are angry is true - I'm angry - at the con and scam that has been perpetrated upon humanity by religion for so long.

I have heard of some deconverts to atheism who are rather wistful about the Certainties they had to leave behind, but none of them doubted that they did other than make the right choice, and in fact one that they couldn't help. Denial will only hold out for so long. Or as Thomas More put it it in 'Man for all seasons' "A lifetime, if necessary'."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You have very good English!
That's what I think, too.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; Today at 10:47 AM..

Old Today, 09:30 AM

4,049 posts, read 1,043,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

(1) Legalistic religion.
(2) Atheism

3) The controversial quantum connection. Everything is all connected.

Old Today, 10:19 AM

39,705 posts, read 11,078,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
3) The controversial quantum connection. Everything is all connected.
Except my downstairs lighting

Old Today, 10:27 AM

13,044 posts, read 3,314,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
Many years ago I read a book on the commonalities of all religions written by an atheist. There were two. Love God with heart and soul and love they neighbor as thyself. Love is the common of these two. Love brings together what evil divides.
We are given the freedoms to choose between the two and Love is worth the bother if we want to live in a world worth living.
I'd like to believe love might "conquer all," but I'm just reminded of the argument that if guns made us safer, we'd be the safest country in the world. In similar fashion, with so many billions of people who are adherents of one religion or another, you would think we'd all be living in peace. Yet, much the opposite...

Bit of all things of course, and certainly not all about religion, but no doubt we need to do better at figuring out what seems to divide us most and/or what better serves to bring us together, in peace.

Old Today, 10:30 AM

13,044 posts, read 3,314,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I guess I first came here because as an atheist, I'm interested in minds that don't tick like mine.
I tried to understand where other people were coming from.

After a while I grew to realize that I'll never fully understand 'faith' because I don't think you can understand it unless you have experienced it. But by then I had grown to be quite fond of a number of posters (and characters!) so I still drop by to see how people are doing.
A too share something of a fascination about "what makes people tick." Not only where they are "coming from" but how they apply their thinking with others, engage with others. Whether the thinking is shared or different...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or