U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM
 
13,044 posts, read 3,318,203 times
Reputation: 1635

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I thought my post was clear. Apparently not. I am new to THIS forum and yes I have been posting since 2008. Yikes!
It is the ACT of writing down my thoughts, in my journal or here, that brings me clarity. It is NOT as you say reading my writing. There is something magical about writing, an interiority that brings forth words.
As for truth, what is truth. I donít worry about truth in spiritual seeking.
Sorry if I misunderstood you, but sometimes the further questions and answers help to bring better understanding I think...

I have always enjoyed writing too. Writing has served me well in my career, and here too, but no doubt it is not always easy to make one's self fully understood by way of writing. Communication can be a tricky thing no matter the medium, but where would we be without it?

Me personally, I can't seem to separate what I understand to be true from just about anything when it comes to the age old questions related to how we got here, why, and where we're going...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM
 
13,044 posts, read 3,318,203 times
Reputation: 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think that's true. It isn't true for me, anyway. I have expanded and changed my opinions and my worldview, particularly spiritually, in many ways since my twenties, and I've no doubt that I will continue to do so now that I've entered my seventh decade.

As a matter of fact, I would think a person who did not change some opinions has lived a rather stagnant life.
Speaking of how tricky communication can be...

I have many times struggled to better explain my "Cement Theory," at least in part to make clear it doesn't suggest people don't change their mind or opinion about many things. Of course we do, but when it comes to our core beliefs, as a rule, we become beyond reason after a certain age. There are exceptions to the rule of course, but the rule is still the rule in terms of what certainly prevails in these regards.

People who are born with an inclination toward being spiritual are generally still spiritual later on in life. People who are inclined toward the left politically speaking at a young age, are typically left leaning later in life. Same with conservatives of course...

Those two links I provide in my first comment go much further to demonstrate and explain how and why this dynamic tends to be true, about the vast majority of people when it comes to what core beliefs we adopt early in life. This too is why all the main religions tend to remain in the same countries century after century and why depending o where you are born, the odds are you will adopt the religion that dominates in that country and/or in your family.

Born in Thailand for example. Odds are you will be a Buddhist. Born into a Catholic family for example. Odds are you will be a Christian. Again this is simply the general rule, not to suggest there are not always the exceptions to the rule. Of course not, but important to consider why the prevalence in this regard either way if you ask me. Especially if one's goal is the truth of these matters...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM
 
3,251 posts, read 1,760,697 times
Reputation: 3616
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Me personally, I can't seem to separate what I understand to be true from just about anything when it comes to the age old questions ..related to how we got here, why, and where we're going...

It helps if we really think about the words we use and their true meaning, question what we are really trying to say when we put words down. When we resort to easy cliches the text may be pretty but not very meaningful. I hardly every use ellipsis - why bother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM
 
13,044 posts, read 3,318,203 times
Reputation: 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I write to discover what I know ~ Flannery O'Connor

Of all the quotes by, for, and about writers, this is the one with which I identify most.
I like it! But sounds a bit like something having to do with confirmation bias. Doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM
 
13,044 posts, read 3,318,203 times
Reputation: 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not sure it's an evidence "thing". It sort of reminds of the battles for civil rights. Did one event win that war? Or was it more like a thousand cuts? And it' still going on, drip by drip by drip.
I've always looked at it not so much as a function of changing people's minds but waiting for the next generation to take over from the one before. Part of why I put far more faith for progress in our younger next generation than I do the elders, and why it takes so much patience to deal with backward thinking in the meantime...

Or tell me honestly, how many times have you seen evidence of anyone changing their mind about any core belief or matter of consequence as a result of exchanging opinion in this forum? Ever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
23,090 posts, read 10,602,686 times
Reputation: 20660
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've always looked at it not so much as a function of changing people's minds but waiting for the next generation to take over from the one before. Part of why I put far more faith for progress in our younger next generation than I do the elders, and why it takes so much patience to deal with backward thinking in the meantime...

Or tell me honestly, how many times have you seen evidence of anyone changing their mind about any core belief or matter of consequence as a result of exchanging opinion in this forum? Ever?
Again, you're missing my point completely.

It's not about some sudden change in a core value.

It's about understanding another point of view. It's about softening (or in some cases hardening) an established point of view. It's occasionally saying to oneself, "I never looked at it that way before".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM
 
39,721 posts, read 11,087,937 times
Reputation: 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I'd like to believe love might "conquer all," but I'm just reminded of the argument that if guns made us safer, we'd be the safest country in the world. In similar fashion, with so many billions of people who are adherents of one religion or another, you would think we'd all be living in peace. Yet, much the opposite...

Bit of all things of course, and certainly not all about religion, but no doubt we need to do better at figuring out what seems to divide us most and/or what better serves to bring us together, in peace.
I think so. Something along the lines of 'love' might have assistance (even if not The answer, but religion doesn't seem to be it. Not even if they lovingly eradicated all beliefs but theirs. Then the schism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Speaking of how tricky communication can be...

I have many times struggled to better explain my "Cement Theory," at least in part to make clear it doesn't suggest people don't change their mind or opinion about many things. Of course we do, but when it comes to our core beliefs, as a rule, we become beyond reason after a certain age. There are exceptions to the rule of course, but the rule is still the rule in terms of what certainly prevails in these regards.

People who are born with an inclination toward being spiritual are generally still spiritual later on in life. People who are inclined toward the left politically speaking at a young age, are typically left leaning later in life. Same with conservatives of course...

Those two links I provide in my first comment go much further to demonstrate and explain how and why this dynamic tends to be true, about the vast majority of people when it comes to what core beliefs we adopt early in life. This too is why all the main religions tend to remain in the same countries century after century and why depending o where you are born, the odds are you will adopt the religion that dominates in that country and/or in your family.

Born in Thailand for example. Odds are you will be a Buddhist. Born into a Catholic family for example. Odds are you will be a Christian. Again this is simply the general rule, not to suggest there are not always the exceptions to the rule. Of course not, but important to consider why the prevalence in this regard either way if you ask me. Especially if one's goal is the truth of these matters...
We buy the 'cement' theory. it isn't something new to us. But it is only true up to a point. Or that's what seems to be the case. people change their minds all the time. or I don't mean that people are all the time changing their minds; I mean a lot of people do change their minds about some 'cement' thinking a few times in their lives.

Somewhere in the world a person is changing their religious beliefs every minute. That's what you call "Searching".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM
 
13,044 posts, read 3,318,203 times
Reputation: 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Agreed. I see life in whole different way than I did when I was younger.
I admit to not being so optimistic as I used to be. I'm definitely more jaded about people unfortunately.

On the other hand, some experiences have made me 'not sweat the small stuff' like I used to.
Nothing in life is so important as your family and your health. Everything else in life is a bonus.
No question one thing we DO learn as we get older is "not to sweat the small stuff." Most of us anyway, but also of course all too many people still do even as they get older and sometimes even more so. My Cement Theory doesn't suggest we don't come to see life differently as we get older. Of course we do. I wish I could make that a bit better understood, but then again I have to ask to what end I should devote the effort to further explain given what my Cement Theory does posit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM
 
39,721 posts, read 11,087,937 times
Reputation: 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
No question one thing we DO learn as we get older is "not to sweat the small stuff." Most of us anyway, but also of course all too many people still do even as they get older and sometimes even more so. My Cement Theory doesn't suggest we don't come to see life differently as we get older. Of course we do. I wish I could make that a bit better understood, but then again I have to ask to what end I should devote the effort to further explain given what my Cement Theory does posit...
Well..if you took that point on, then you don't need to make it a theory. Besides, we all know about Cultural programming. Try A priori Godfaith -based, denial -projection god inna -head, theisthink. Now There's a Theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
23,090 posts, read 10,602,686 times
Reputation: 20660
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I think so. Something along the lines of 'love' might have assistance (even if not The answer, but religion doesn't seem to be it. Not even if they lovingly eradicated all beliefs but theirs. Then the schism.

We buy the 'cement' theory. it isn't something new to us. But it is only true up to a point. Or that's what seems to be the case. people change their minds all the time. or I don't mean that people are all the time changing their minds; I mean a lot of people do change their minds about some 'cement' thinking a few times in their lives.

Somewhere in the world a person is changing their religious beliefs every minute. That's what you call "Searching".
Yes, I'm afraid his cement theory is nothing new. It's not really any different than saying that a person gets stuck in their views.

But you're right, people do change their minds about big things all the time.

I've know many people who have changed religions to one extent or another. Due my personal situations, many former christians who became Buddhist. Mainline christians who became Mormons. And so forth.

I know people who have changed their sexual lifestyles.

People who have gone from drug-influenced lives to drug-free lives...similar for alcohol.

People who have changed their minds totally about their spouse and divorced.

And many people who have changed political orientation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top