U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 05:18 PM

3,265 posts, read 1,766,699 times

Advertisements

or even if they follow one at all? Do you care?

I know most of the people I know are either Christians or Jews with a few other religions thrown in. But I dont know what denomination they are. They are my friends because of who they are - friendly, interesting people, who have interesting thoughts, and are nice, good people. Most of all they share my values - liberal and global.

When 9/11 happened all of a sudden it became important/necessary to know about Islam. There was so much mis-information and false rumors and just plain stupid bigoted venom against Muslims that Muslims felt they should talk about their religion, let people know how it is about peace. And maybe then they will be left alone and be safe. Well that did not happen. To this day many of those haters still hold the same false opinions.

It is a mistake to look at the religion of a people to know who they are. We can see who they are by their actions, the values they display, by their words and world view. If we go to their religion we will always find some weird stuff, all religions have weirdness. After all we make up our religions, and humans are weird. And then the tendency is to pick up the weird stuff and draw some conclusions and damn all those who practice it.

Take jihad. Many Americans don't even quite understand the word when they heard it, but Muslims have been defined by it. It did not matter the origin of jihad is pious, it became associated with militant extremists.
I don't know if Americans are just so cut off physically from the rest of the world, that anything other than what we know bewilders us. The solution is to know different people, not find out about their religion.

Well, that's what I think. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 05:21 PM

3,921 posts, read 1,525,238 times
"or even if they follow one at all?"
do not ask, do not tell.
"Do you care?"
only if they bring it up first.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:05 PM

26,129 posts, read 13,590,690 times
Most of my friends and siblings are now irreligious. But I have one friend who attends a church somewhat regularly and three siblings who are still attending regularly.

Only one bothers me.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:13 PM

6,508 posts, read 2,183,631 times
I don't know which of my friends are believers as they are all pretty much irreligious. Many were/are Catholic and 2 Jewish friends. I'm pretty sure my Jewish friends are atheists but it's never been a topic. We've discussed religion as a philosophy but that's about it.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:24 PM

4,450 posts, read 1,678,817 times
I think I have an idea of almost all of my friends' religion.

Mostly are Muslims as I am. There are also Hindus, Christians and a couple of Jewish.

In order to fight against the hate, we have a very good interfaith program in our community where every other month, a mosque, a church and a Jewish Temple take turns to host a casual dinner where all faiths are welcome. There are some short speeches and very nice chit chat among community members hailing from different faith.

There is a very popular "Bring a neighbor" Ramadhan iftaar program that is held every year. Muslim families invite their neighbors who participate in heavy numbers.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:44 PM

23,171 posts, read 10,623,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I think I have an idea of almost all of my friends' religion.

Mostly are Muslims as I am. There are also Hindus, Christians and a couple of Jewish.

In order to fight against the hate, we have a very good interfaith program in our community where every other month, a mosque, a church and a Jewish Temple take turns to host a casual dinner where all faiths are welcome. There are some short speeches and very nice chit chat among community members hailing from different faith.

There is a very popular "Bring a neighbor" Ramadhan iftaar program that is held every year. Muslim families invite their neighbors who participate in heavy numbers.
That is wonderful to hear!

Old 08-12-2019, 08:00 PM

15,781 posts, read 12,333,027 times
Um, all my close friends are way past religions...

Added: I realize now...others may interpret that as snobby...or that they do not believe in some things...
they actually believe in extraordinary things.
They/we are past organized religions and the interpretations of any Church Elders...dogmas, doctrines. ceremonies, rules, exclusions, cliques and cults, books from the perspective of ancient people.

Oops, I sound snobby again ...hahaha Oh, then I have 5-6 atheist buddies.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 08-12-2019 at 08:39 PM..

Old Yesterday, 01:32 AM

2,784 posts, read 1,891,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That is wonderful to hear!
That is wonderful to hear, esp when I have read Evangelicals criticising the Pope for kissing the Koran etc.
We need more tolerance and acceptance like this.

Old Yesterday, 02:36 AM

5,361 posts, read 1,006,868 times
Do you know what religion your friends follow ...

Sometimes. But religion is rarely talked about in public, here in Germany.

Old Yesterday, 05:13 AM

19,973 posts, read 20,075,563 times
In my new (8 years) community, mostly yes, I do know because most are Christian and go to church on Sunday and/or have invited me there or to various functions.
Of those that don't go, they will have, at one time or another, said things that give it away, like "I'll pray for "Whoever" is sick or having some difficulty or, while telling a tale..."I can only thank my God that....."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or