U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 12:23 AM

4,622 posts, read 947,351 times

Advertisements

Christians, do you feel proud that your actions are the same as third world countries? The same as governments endorse in Muslim countries? The same as in many countries run by despots?

If you are Christian, what are you doing, if you feel this is wrong, to dissuade your fellow more extreme brethren?

Source:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-of-countries/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 12:17 AM

2,794 posts, read 1,897,211 times
Pew research is not always unbiased.
But some interesting stats.
Russia harassing the irreligious, or Greece?
Seems a bit strange.
Of course there are no Fundamentalist Christian countries, where church and state are not separated, like there are with some hardline Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Seems a bit strange.
Of course there are no Fundamentalist Christian countries, where church and state are not separated, like there are with some hardline Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia.
PEW polls may not agree with your biases, but no credible critic has ever, EVER, called them biased.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:26 AM

23,307 posts, read 10,673,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
PEW polls may not agree with your biases, but no credible critic has ever, EVER, called them biased.
That's an awfully broad statement to make. I guess it comes down to what you mean by "credible critic".

Old 08-16-2019, 12:07 PM

5,147 posts, read 2,205,897 times
Quote:
Christians, do you feel proud that your actions are the same as third world countries?
And you, as an American, do you feel proud of your actions that mirror those of a country known to inflict harm/trouble on its own citizens, and others all around the world?

Face it, you and I can't control people even around us. So there's no way we'll control or influence people on the other side of the world.

Unless you have some kind of demigod/superhuman complex, you will come down from that towering soapbox you're on, and put the pointing finger away.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's an awfully broad statement to make. I guess it comes down to what you mean by "credible critic".
None listed here are credible:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/conspiracy/

Old 08-16-2019, 12:22 PM

23,307 posts, read 10,673,211 times
Quote:
None listed here are credible:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/conspiracy/
While I would tend to agree with that list, other people would have a completely different list.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:13 PM

39,941 posts, read 11,178,949 times
This is no surprise. While Islamic countries effectively use government to enable the religion (if they don't. the Islamic flag floats more subversively over the national flag than does the Christian one over Ol' glory) and we already saw how Putin cynically exploits religion for his own authority as much as Stalin exploited Marxist Dogma for his power. It is interesting that Bangladesh is NOT government harassment because i heard that the Bangla government opted for a religious -impartial stance on society. So the harassment (I may be biased, but I'd bet my Farm on which religion is doing it) is carried out at social level.

I don't think this is anything new. Rather a new spirit of questioning of religion is now looking at this and seeing something wrong.

Quote:
It is to be expected that some polarized posters may dismiss PEW as biased simply because they didn't like the results they came up with. But the fact is that Churches themselves have confirmed the concerns about the rise of irreligion. Islam iitself is in a panci about the amount of irreligion with in its' ranks. I wish we were doing more to encourage it as a skeptical deflation of Islamic influence would be the biggest enabler of world peace since since...well i hate to say it, but the Bomb.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:32 PM

937 posts, read 214,702 times
Quote:
Would you care to cite some of Pew's supposed bias?

Quote:
Seems a bit strange.
What's strange about it?

For example:
Quote:
A man in southern Russia faces a potential jail sentence after he was charged with insulting the feelings of religious believers over an internet exchange in which he wrote that “there is no God”.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...during-webchat

Perhaps you are confusing Russia with the USSR. You know, the latter went out of business over a quarter century ago.

As an aside, it's pretty obvious that people in virtually every country receive 'social pressure' regarding religion from various directions.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:49 AM

39,941 posts, read 11,178,949 times
They do. It's a question of whether they get government backing or feel that they have the clout to arrange boycotts and censorship. I'm very mindful of the social harrasment led by Mary Whitehouse against anything she disapproved of, back in the 80's. I hardly need point what Islam gets up to. We have seen what religion will do if it is allowed to. I suspect that it was the Christian campaign against the Life Of Brian that turned public opinion against the Christian censorship movement. There ought to have been a number of events that turned opinion against religion in various countries, but sometimes there is just too much faith. The point about the Whitehouse campaign was not that it was supported by a lot of faith in the UK, but they were allowed to get away with it because nobody was bothered. It's a question of whether people are going to be Bothered now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or