U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 08:37 AM

3,741 posts, read 1,326,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad
Harry is one of the most learned, rational, people here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew
If he was put to the test in a moderated debate his reasoning would fall apart. Knowledge and intelligence are not the same thing.
Since this IS a moderated forum, challenge accepted. This must be an actual debate however, and not a battle of dueling videos. While videos are useful in supporting an argument, (when one is ACTUALLY provided), simply posting videos without comment is not a debate.

Wikipedia
Debate
Debate is a process that involves formal discussion on a particular topic. In a debate, opposing arguments are put forward to argue for opposing viewpoints. Debate occurs in public meetings, academic institutions, and legislative assemblies. It is a formal type of discussion, often with a moderator and an audience, in addition to the debate participants.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debate

I will even go first. The core of Christian belief rests on the claim that Jesus died, was resurrected from the dead on the third day, and bodily rose up into the sky, disappearing into the clouds. Most Christians however would agree that the story of Santa's team of flying reindeer is insupportable, because it makes assertions that are contradicted by all common observation, common experience and common sense. The story of a flying reanimated corpse ALSO contradicts all common observation, common experience and common sense. What case is there to be made, outside of blind faith and abject gullibility, that the story of the flying reanimated corpse of Jesus is more believable than the story of Santa's team of flying reindeer?

This debate us specifically being offered to Iwasmadenew, but all interested parties are offered the opportunity to join in and participate. All lines of discussion should be freely explored. No subject that applies to the debate over the efficacy of belief and nonbelief should be considered off limits, within CD TOS limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 08:55 AM

40,224 posts, read 11,288,162 times
It sounds interesting, but the problem is - who's the judge? because the Theist side wil never admit they lost a point or argument. And appeal to the audience is just going to be determined by the numbers of made- up minds (on either side) before the debate even started. Of course, no matter who is picked as adjudicator and point -scorer, when the theist side loses (as they will ) the Judge will be accused of incompetence and gullibility just as Judge Jones was vilified after Dover.

Mind you, on past showing the debate with IWMA would soon end up in one line accusations of idiocy.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:59 AM

23,693 posts, read 10,770,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It sounds interesting, but the problem is - who's the judge? because the Theist side wil never admit they lost a point or argument. And appeal to the audience is just going to be determined by the numbers of made- up minds (on either side) before the debate even started. Of course, no matter who is picked as adjudicator and point -scorer, when the theist side loses (as they will ) the Judge will be accused of incompetence and gullibility just as Judge Jones was vilified after Dover.

Mind you, on past showing the debate with IWMA would soon end up in one line accusations of idiocy.
I agree. This is ultimately going to be the same as any other thread.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:

The audience will be the judge. Since this is historically a subject that results in no resolution, win or loss will necessarily be in the opinion of the audience and those who participate.

There is also the possibility of a "last man standing" victor, of course. Which is to say, when one side abandons the debate in apparent desperation, leaving the other side "the last man standing ."

The failure of one side or the other to even take up the challenge would necessarily be the equivalent of a "last man standing" victory.

It should be noted that the nonbelief faction is the one issuing the challenge. So the ball in in the court of the belief faction.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:25 AM

I shall be fascinated to see you set up any format that the theist side will agree to that will not allow them to claim that they won every point, no matter what.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree. This is ultimately going to be the same as any other thread.
It's worth a try.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I shall be fascinated to see you set up any format that the theist side will agree to that will not allow them to claim that they won every point, no matter what.
Both sides will obviously claim victory. It's observing the way the arguments play out that is important. I predict that the believer faction will not allow their beliefs to be smeared by reusing to even participate.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
It's worth a try.

Of course. I don't want to be discouraging or negative and I could almost Rep you for calling Madenew's bluff. I'm just warning of a few caltrops, A-PM's and pungee sticks that the Theist side will put in your way. If you can find a way to negate them, I Will rep you, even if I have to bully, browbeat or Bribe some punter into doing it for me.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Of course. I don't want to be discouraging or negative and I could almost Rep you for calling Madenew's bluff. I'm just warning of a few caltrops, A-PM's and pungee sticks that the Theist side will put in your way. If you can find a way to negate them, I Will rep you, even if I have to bully, browbeat or Bribe some punter into doing it for me.
I am not looking for reps. I am looking for a good rollicking debate with believers. They are such a timid bunch.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:36 AM

123 posts, read 11,842 times
Billions of people including government workers have reported seeing spirits & ghosts etc etc etc. We were not there so we cannot say the sightings were false. It's the same with The Bible stories. We weren't there so we can't say they are false. Moderator cut: Reference to Holocaust denial removed.

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-21-2019 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: The Holocaust is not the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or