U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 03:29 PM

15,911 posts, read 12,387,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
When I hear someone describe their faith as a sense of connection
to something I trust that in them as well as in myself.
Ah, trust has been brought into it.

Is a sense different then a feeling? Kidding...of course, a sense is nothing BUT feeling.
Can that feeling of connection be trusted?
Anyone other than L8Gr8?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 03:42 PM

517 posts, read 105,270 times
Faith is one of those words that everyone defines in accordance to their own liking.

Here, I think I will side with BaptistFundie's definition (until something different captures my mind).

Old 08-21-2019, 04:01 PM

40,002 posts, read 11,196,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No. And no.

Faith is a gift from God, not a feeling that comes and goes.
Aside from those who are obsessive about it, 'Faith' does come and go. It is therefore not a gift from God. Go on - tell me that it is the obsessive kind of faith that is a Gift from God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

Is a sense different then a feeling? Kidding...of course, a sense is nothing BUT feeling.
Anyone other than L8Gr8?
It demonstrably can't be trusted because we have sen far, far too many examples of people with Faith making assertions that are incorrect and reasoning in ways that are flawed. And going into denial and even get hot under the collar when it gets pointed out. No Faith is definitely a feeling and - if it was a gift from God, one that should be returned to the manufacturer with a request to fix the attitude correction system. Get the facts right and then you may risk a little faith.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:52 PM

56,960 posts, read 55,264,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

Anyone other than L8Gr8?
I don't know. I think there's enough of a nuance between "sense" and "feeling" to differentiate between the two. I have a sense of that connection. In my mind, "feeling" denotes emotion. The "sense" that there is something else, a connection of sorts, is not emotional. I suppose they could co-exist.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:54 PM

40,002 posts, read 11,196,811 times
of course. Instincts themselves are not emotional, but they often do trigger emotional responses of a very physical kind.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-21-2019 at 05:06 PM..

Old 08-21-2019, 05:23 PM

14,205 posts, read 9,169,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You can define faith.

Faith means belief without evidence.
That's literally what it means.

If you think about it, if you had hard evidence of god, you wouldn't have faith. I point this out all the time and people get offended by it for some reason. But that is what faith is.
That is an accurate definition of religious faith.

Faith in the colloquial sense simply means "trust based on and substantiated by evidence or experience", as in, "I trust my wife of many years not to murder me in my sleep". This is almost the opposite of religious faith, actually.

That is one of the hilarities of discussing "faith"; the word itself has two nearly opposite meanings in common usage, and, in fact, theists frequently conflate them to try to gain credibility for religious faith.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:28 PM

14,205 posts, read 9,169,776 times
To the point of the OP: religious faith is a decision to accept as true, an assertion about the operation of reality based generally on supernaturalism of some kind. As such, it is not a feeling, but it is largely based on what feels desirable / pleasing / comforting / enjoyable to give credence to. The reason assertions about supernatural beings and realms are more readily believed than any number of other questionable notions is because they avoid directly confronting the realities of life and death, and the realization that life owes us nothing and promises us nothing. That anything you hold dear is subject to being taken from you by random events. Such realizations are intolerable to most of us, and we shrink from them to some greater or lesser degree. If we shrink enough from them, we displace our fear and loathing and yearnings and hopes onto gods and demons and heavens and hells.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:31 PM

13,233 posts, read 13,784,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
To the point of the OP: religious faith is a decision to accept as true, an assertion about the operation of reality based generally on supernaturalism of some kind. As such, it is not a feeling, but it is largely based on what feels desirable / pleasing / comforting / enjoyable to give credence to. The reason assertions about supernatural beings and realms are more readily believed than any number of other questionable notions is because they avoid directly confronting the realities of life and death, and the realization that life owes us nothing and promises us nothing. That anything you hold dear is subject to being taken from you by random events. Such realizations are intolerable to most of us, and we shrink from them to some greater or lesser degree. If we shrink enough from them, we displace our fear and loathing and yearnings and hopes onto gods and demons and heavens and hells.
there is nothing supernatural about having an eternal soul.
it is natural. it is our nature.
an eternal soul temporarily inhabiting a physical body.

that is the very nature of human life on this planet.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:34 PM

517 posts, read 105,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
That is an accurate definition of religious faith.

Faith in the colloquial sense simply means "trust based on and substantiated by evidence or experience", as in, "I trust my wife of many years not to murder me in my sleep". This is almost the opposite of religious faith, actually.

That is one of the hilarities of discussing "faith"; the word itself has two nearly opposite meanings in common usage, and, in fact, theists frequently conflate them to try to gain credibility for religious faith.
Interestingly, if you compare the early definitions of faith with the colloquial example you just gave they are not that different (bar your take on the evidence). It's just in the centuries that'd passed people's definitions have become less nuanced, as the subject itself has become more and more watered down.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:37 PM

3,341 posts, read 1,783,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You can define faith.

Faith means belief without evidence.
That's literally what it means.

If you think about it, if you had hard evidence of god, you wouldn't have faith. I point this out all the time and people get offended by it for some reason. But that is what faith is.
I agree with this. On the other hand spirituality is seeking, a spiritual journey based on deep study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or