U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 05:46 PM

15,562 posts, read 5,214,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Darn, you were doing so well, resisting that urge to make assumptions and lecture others.

As a wise person told me not long ago... "who you "think" people are, is very often not who they actually are."
Look like she's doing pretty damn well to me, a gracious person who you will NEVER see get emotional, and that is my biggest downfall, hell, I get emotional with everything, but she is a rock from which springs living water. She sticks to the facts, to common sense, and what is rational.

So proud of her, wished I could be so,'' um, '' other brained.''

She and I would make a perfect pair, she thinks from one side, and I think from the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 05:52 PM

13,399 posts, read 13,858,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Darn, you were doing so well, resisting that urge to make assumptions and lecture others.

As a wise person told me not long ago... "who you "think" people are, is very often not who they actually are."
well-said! wise indeed! i shall redact that statement to be "you may not be aware of the common elements among the indigenous nations and the planet's oldest religions. nevertheless such elements do exist."

Old 08-26-2019, 07:17 AM

40,470 posts, read 11,416,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
Intuition is something used by people for a wide variety of reasons. Its is also called gut instinct.

I don't know what the heck the rest of your post was about.
If you don't get it then I frankly can't be bothered to draw you a map. I'll have to leave you to live with forum posts for a while and start getting the idea.

As to Instinct or 'gut instinct' this is - instinct. It helps us survive. That's what it is for. It is not a magical device given us to tell us what's true.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i also want to comment to Trans that in posts of his over the years, there are areas where he demonstrates sound and excellent "spiritual logic." for instance in several areas he looks into things deeply and thinks into things deeply and draws his own conclusions. Such as were there to be a single Creator, it would be the same Creator for everyone. No single group or religion or historic person or prophet "owns" or has proprietary access to God. he values and recognizes something in "religious" art, music, beauty, altar. those are examples. i am a fan of his posts. whether we agree or not on this or that, i recognize and appreciate his sound spiritual logic.
Thank you Tzaph. I know that we disagree strongly and vehemently at times but it's not personal on either side (it's not even personal with Mystic, though it may seem hard to believe) and in fact i have come value all you guys and gals that have come to mean a lot to me. My community. Because while I find the locals cheerful and friendly, I can't talk to them they way I can here. They couldn't even if they wanted to.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:38 AM

13,399 posts, read 13,858,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
If you don't get it then I frankly can't be bothered to draw you a map. I'll have to leave you to live with forum posts for a while and start getting the idea.

As to Instinct or 'gut instinct' this is - instinct. It helps us survive. That's what it is for. It is not a magical device given us to tell us what's true.
instinct is not the same as intuition.

https://www.differencebetween.com/di...-vs-intuition/

Old 08-26-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
instinct is not the same as intuition.

https://www.differencebetween.com/di...-vs-intuition/
i get the difference. But I think they may be more closely related than you may think. After all instinct can be learned. I suspect that learned instinct may even be genetically passed on, though this is just an idea.

Intuition is much more assessing our surroundings than reacting to them (instinct) but that is like saying that the pistons are different from the camshaft; yes, but they are all part of the engine.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:07 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,802,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Exactly...faith is in the unseen, unprovable...maybe the probable from exp..."I have faith the sun will come up"...
doesn't mean it will tomorrow.
I have faith the chair will hold me...maybe it has bef,
doesn't mean it will tomorrow.
Can that be trusted? Since many here say you can only trust the scriptures not your feelings.

If you knew God personally (and there is no hard evidence, sorry) there is no need for faith or belief...
cuz you know.
Good one.

We know what a belief is... faith is knowing ... absolutely.

How do we know God?

He communicates with us soul-to-soul. So cool!

Old 09-12-2019, 08:03 PM

98 posts, read 25,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
If you think about it, if you had hard evidence of god, you wouldn't have faith. I point this out all the time and people get offended by it for some reason. But that is what faith is.
If God gave hard evidence of his existence you would feel the pressure of him breathing down your neck and freewill (a magical gift) would be compromised.

Quote:
You can define faith.

Faith means belief without evidence.
That's literally what it means.

I'll let a Mr. Merriam Webster define faith:

Quote:
Definition of faith (Entry 1 of 2)
a
: allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty
lost faith in the company's president
b
(1)
: fidelity to one's promises
(2)
: sincerity of intentions
acted in good faith
a
(1)
: belief and trust in and loyalty to God
(2)
: belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion
b
(1)
: firm belief in something for which there is no proof
clinging to the faith that her missing son would one day return
(2)
: complete trust
: something that is believed especially with strong conviction
especially : a system of religious beliefs
the Protestant faith
It clearly isn't a simple word and has lots of connotations......take the most common definition number 1 A....an allegiance to duty or a person....

As a Quaker I have an allegiance to the duty of God....

So I am a pacifist...I try to be kind...I try to be giving...I try to share...I try to give effort at my job...I try to give time to causes......serving your fellow humans.....it spills over into other aspects of my life....

...that is faith....to me...a duty to the teachings of Jesus.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:08 PM

6,868 posts, read 2,273,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
If God gave hard evidence of his existence you would feel the pressure of him breathing down your neck and freewill (a magical gift) would be compromised.

I'll let a Mr. Merriam Webster define faith:

It clearly isn't a simple word and has lots of connotations......take the most common definition number 1 A....an allegiance to duty or a person....

As a Quaker I have an allegiance to the duty of God....

So I am a pacifist...I try to be kind...I try to be giving...I try to share...I try to give effort at my job...I try to give time to causes......serving your fellow humans.....it spills over into other aspects of my life....

...that is faith....to me...a duty to the teachings of Jesus.
Don't Quakers believe in the Adam and Eve account?

Old 09-13-2019, 02:33 AM

579 posts, read 119,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Quote:
If you think about it, if you had hard evidence of god, you wouldn't have faith. I point this out all the time and people get offended by it for some reason. But that is what faith is.
No more than it is already compromised, what with the promise of heaven and fear of hell. Besides, Satan, supposedly, has a first hand knowledge of the God's existence and his power yet this doesn't seem to compromise the former's actions. (Unless of course Satan doesn't have free will in which case this would become a whole different issue and discussion.) Not only that but, compromised or not, free will would still be there, so even with God breathing down your neck you would, at a minimum, still have an option of Hobson's choice.

Personally, I think the reason why arguments over the evidence are fruitless here, is because faith doesn't aim to establish existence of God but is a result of an already instilled belief that God exists. In other words, the presumption that God exists has to already be there for someone to be able to exercise faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or